Internet Explorer usage continues to decline - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing

Old 2009-02-03, 01:32 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Internet Explorer usage continues to decline

For the seventh straight month, the market share for Microsoft's Internet Explorer, the world's most popular web browser, declined according to data released Monday by Net Applications.

Click on the link to find out what browsers Digital Home readers are using.

Before you look though, think about how DH readers might differ from average internet users experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-02-04, 11:23 PM   #2
99semaj
Veteran

...and that's only bound to get worse with all the reports that IE8 performs dramatically worse than all its competitors (Chrome, FF, Safari, Opera).
Old 2009-02-16, 03:01 PM   #3
tablo

IE is just slow and unsecure, and bad in many ways. Safari doesn't really have killer feature like FF, Chrome or Opera does. Also you can look at IE vs FF vs Chrome vs Safari forum.

That includes just the readers, right? Those who just search and find these forums and -
Old 2009-02-16, 10:31 PM   #4
KingBuzzo

Hopefully they keep bundling these fantastic bowsers with every tird-party application because the consumer is absolutely lost!

Old 2009-02-17, 12:20 AM   #5
Walter Dnes

I'm dissapointed with Firefox. It performs OK, but FF3 has "gone geek" just for the hell of it. The "Awesomebar" is my main complaint. Basically, for the first week after switching, it's totally useless until you "train" it. I still don't like it, and only switched from FF2 because FF2 is no longer supported for security patches. They added SQL-lite to search your history and FF3 fercryinoutloud.
Old 2009-02-17, 07:50 AM   #6
sleemo

Get rid of the "Awesomebar" with an add-on. To completely kill it, see here.
Old 2009-02-17, 09:06 AM   #7
NeilN
Veteran

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. After a couple days I got used to the Awesomebar and now find it saves me a lot of keystrokes when going to sites I've visited in the past. On ocassions where I have to use IE I find myself really missing that functionality.
Old 2009-02-17, 12:02 PM   #8
Dog Byte

On TWiT Leo mentioned that about 60% of site visitors are using FireFox.
Old 2009-02-19, 08:06 PM   #9
tablo

Those "geek-site" visitors mostly use Firefox or other, and not IE.
Old 2009-02-28, 06:15 PM   #10
JmanBC

I'm really happy with IE8. Even in beta it is very stable, and compatibility mode allows it to render almost every older site flawlessly.
I would have switched to Opera over IE7 if there was an official google toolbar for it. Now that I have IE8 though, I've totally lost any desire for a different browser.
Old 2009-03-01, 09:10 PM   #11
99semaj
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanBC View Post
I'm really happy with IE8. Even in beta it is very stable, and compatibility mode allows it to render almost every older site flawlessly.
I would have switched to Opera over IE7 if there was an official google toolbar for it. Now that I have IE8 though, I've totally lost any desire for a different browser.
How does IE8 perform against the de facto HTML standards test Acid 3? Could you please run it and post the results? I know it crashed outright on earlier betas, but hopefully it's more stable now.

Of the browsers I've used, I've observed the following:

Google Chrome (on WinXP): 79/100
IE7 (WinXP): 5/100 (I think. It was so poor at rendering I could barely read the screen)
Safari 4 Beta (OS X): 100/100
Old 2009-03-01, 09:42 PM   #12
jayoldschool
Veteran

I finally ditched IE last week for FF after experiencing too many "IE has encountered a problem" crashes. No crashes for FF yet...
Old 2009-03-03, 06:49 PM   #13
JmanBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
How does IE8 perform against the de facto HTML standards test Acid 3? Could you please run it and post the results? I know it crashed outright on earlier betas, but hopefully it's more stable now.

Of the browsers I've used, I've observed the following:

Google Chrome (on WinXP): 79/100
IE7 (WinXP): 5/100 (I think. It was so poor at rendering I could barely read the screen)
Safari 4 Beta (OS X): 100/100
It gets 21/100. (Vista SP1)
Old 2009-03-04, 06:01 AM   #14
Walter Dnes

I tend to view the "Acid test" similarly to EPA fuel milage numbers. Interesting, but not necessarily indicative of real-life. While I don't use IE myself, I wouldn't be too concerned about Acid test numbers. The main question is how it works in real life. BTW, FF 3.0.5 won't even load that page with NoScript enabled. With NoScript turned off, it gets 71, the animation is jerky, and the squares are shades of grey... and I don't give 2 hoots.
Old 2009-03-04, 07:23 AM   #15
TKG26
Veteran

IE8:11- 20
Chrome: 77
Opera 9.63: 85
firefox 3.XX: 71

I use Chrome daily and go to IE8 when things dont work.

Tags
chrome, safari