Bell TV 9241 HD PVR discussion thread - Page 66 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2010-05-05, 04:38 PM   #976
sonnykeyes

Default 9242 being replaced by 9241 - was this a mistake?

I have two rental 9242s, and one of them started acting up, (and resolving itself by reformatting its hard drive) perhaps because it's in a poorly ventilated spot. I called Bell, and they're shipping me a replacement, but I was told that they don't have 9242s any more, so I'm going to be getting a 9241.

Reading this forum, I'm starting to wonder if I would be smarter to buy a new TV stand with better ventilation and try to revive the old 9242 - there seem to be substantial complaints here about the 9241s, or am I getting a skewed view of this? What are the differences, really? My other 9242 is the best PVR I've ever had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-05-06, 06:24 PM   #977
scrubby

I've noticed something since hooking up my HDMI cable with V235, in that with V232 whenever I clicked my TV to ON, the Sony A/V receiver came ON also, as expected with HDMI, but it would only stay on the TV input (an analog input with nothing connected to it) and not the HDMI input from Bell, so I had to reset it every time I turned on the TV.

Now whenever I turn on the TV, the Sony A/V receiver automatically turns on to the Bell input.
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this, and has V235 fixed this, or did my resetting everything just have this happen coincidentally.
Old 2010-05-10, 08:08 PM   #978
julie_rose_

hi today i got a brand new tv a samsung 32", i plug back my 9241 receiver and i went to menu, than press 6 for system setup, than press 7 for hdtv setup, than it mark 1080I for tv type than 16««x9 for aspect ratio. so is this an hdtv i got?
Old 2010-05-10, 08:37 PM   #979
FunkyTown

Haha that's funny. You bought a brand new TV but don't know if it's HD? It should say on the box or the manual. It likely is, but there are different varieties of HDTV. It would be good to know what you've got. My living room is a 1080p. My bedroom is a 720p. Both TVs accept 1080i, but the bedroom tv converts 1080i to 720p.
Old 2010-05-10, 09:47 PM   #980
julie_rose_

yeah, but i am new with this. So that is why i am asking the question. Actually, my mom bought the tv for me. So, for my case, is it an hdtv when the receiver says tv type: 1080I and television aspect 16:9? I didn't have to change it. It did by itself when i plug the receiver it used to make 4X3. and 480. No good at that kind of stuff yet!
Old 2010-05-10, 10:09 PM   #981
FunkyTown

Did you get the manual? Or the model number should be on the tv somewhere. Then we could look it up to see what it is.
Old 2010-05-11, 07:36 PM   #982
julie_rose_

its alright, i've got my confirmation yesterday. i have sent an e-mail to samsung and the answered me back this afternoon confirming that it was an hd. thanks for trying to help.
Old 2010-05-15, 09:43 PM   #983
bellvu
Rookie

new 9241 user here with v235 firmware. I get freezing and choppy sound. I have unplugged the HDMI and use component in case that's the cause, but it still happens.

It occurs with HD channels when recording one while watching another HD channel, or rewinding back some so that I am playing previous material while recording live. Is the hard drive too slow to handle viewing a recorded or live HD program while recording a different HD program?
Old 2010-05-15, 10:21 PM   #984
redgrandam

The short answer isit 'should' be able to handle that. It used to be blamed on hdmi but you say you tried with out hdmi. When you did that did you unplug the hdmi cable from the back of the 9241 so that there was nothing (including a dead cable) connected to the port at all? If so there is a good chance you have a defective unit, and if you call tech support they will likely check over a few things like your software etc. and then send you a replacement unit. I'd you haven't called yet I recommend you call during regular business hours to increase your chance of getting a north American call centre.
Old 2010-05-16, 07:53 AM   #985
bellvu
Rookie

ok. The HDMI was completely unplugged already. This is reproducable - go to a HD channel, rewind back a few minutes to view recorded material while recording the live feed. It is worse with a channel that has 5.1 sound enabled, makes me think the receiver can't keep up with all the data from reading and writing at the same time. TSN HD during a HD/5.1 game is a big problem

Anyone else with freezing or stutter able to try this test and see if your problems are independent of HDMI, and just having too much data to process at the same time?
Old 2010-05-19, 12:00 PM   #986
holmesjw
Rookie

Default Using the PVR in another country

I work in Indonesia and am home in Canada for the summers and Christmas. I've been thinking of getting a 2TB external drive to hook up to the 9241 and basically record all summer. Then bring it to Indonesia with me to watch there.

The HD TVs in Indonesia are both PAL and NTSC, so that shouldn't be problem. Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't work?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Old 2010-05-19, 03:07 PM   #987
PaulH

Greetings holmesjw. The 9241 records shows in its own private format, playable only on a 9241. You cannot carry the external drive elsewhere and play it away from the 9241, like on a PC or Mac.
Old 2010-05-19, 09:50 PM   #988
holmesjw
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
Greetings holmesjw. The 9241 records shows in its own private format, playable only on a 9241. You cannot carry the external drive elsewhere and play it away from the 9241, like on a PC or Mac.
Paul,
Thanks for replying. But I was not specific enough. I do understand that I can't just bring the hard drive.
But could I bring the entire receiver (and external hard drive) and use it in Indonesia. I understand that I am not going to get any signal from Bell, but can I use the receiver to play back all video that has been saved to my hard drive?

Last edited by holmesjw; 2010-05-19 at 09:52 PM. Reason: I wasn't specific enough
Old 2010-05-21, 12:39 PM   #989
dsslearn

It would work fine. I have watched recorded shows whole not connected to the sat.
Old 2010-06-03, 02:01 PM   #990
Robertazimmerman

When I had my 9242, I used to be able to access TSN Extra on channel 400 without any problems.

With the 9241, if I access "Top Stories", then click on the first news item, the screen freezes and I have to press the Menu button to close TSN Extra.

Also, when I first press Select to access TSN Extra, the screen widens. This is not a big deal, but it didn't happen with the 9242.

----------------------------
Anybody?

Tags
9241, bell tv, belltv, hdcp, hdmi issue, ppv, pvr, recording