Bell TV 9241 HD PVR discussion thread - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2009-01-29, 09:59 PM   #16
Pinza
Veteran

Yes, put it back onto the 9241. The files are in a Linux format and are encrypted, you cannot view them on a PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-01-29, 10:09 PM   #17
antonello22
Rookie

so we can not transfer them into a pc????
Old 2009-01-29, 10:11 PM   #18
i hate tv

I think you can transfer them onto a pc, if you know what you are doing (I don't)
But they are encrypted...
Old 2009-01-30, 07:55 AM   #19
dropshadow
Rookie

Default 9241...anyone else with these problems?

I've had my 9241 installed for a week now. So far, minor recording glitches that I expect with any new PVR...this is my fourth, but my first HD. Skipping past commercials sometimes causes freezing but it usually resolves itself in a few seconds. My main problems involve HDMI and audio. My HDMI cable is not sending the audio to my receiver. I have an optical cable hooked up instead. I thought maybe the HDMI cable was an older specification and wouldn't work with the new PVR but have since read it works on the HDMI 1.1 spec so that shouldn't be the problem. This is a response I got back from a Bell customer service rep via email...."I am sorry to inform you that I am unable to understand the meaning of HDMI cable specification. Please note that for HD PVR receiver, we are always suggesting component cable. Please always component cable in
order to get your programming properly."...I'm not sure why I'm still surprised by ill informed reps, but I am. All that being said my MAIN audio problem is a "warble" in the audio...not all the time...just intermittently. Anyone else having this problem?
Sorry for the long post...this is my first and I have 11 years of Expressvu problems to get off my chest so be thankful it isn't as long as War & Peace.
Old 2009-01-30, 04:16 PM   #20
Al B
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropshadow View Post
I've had my 9241 installed for a week now. So far, minor recording glitches that I expect with any new PVR...this is my fourth, but my first HD. Skipping past commercials sometimes causes freezing but it usually resolves itself in a few seconds. My main problems involve HDMI and audio. My HDMI cable is not sending the audio to my receiver. I have an optical cable hooked up instead. I thought maybe the HDMI cable was an older specification and wouldn't work with the new PVR but have since read it works on the HDMI 1.1 spec so that shouldn't be the problem. This is a response I got back from a Bell customer service rep via email...."I am sorry to inform you that I am unable to understand the meaning of HDMI cable specification. Please note that for HD PVR receiver, we are always suggesting component cable. Please always component cable in
order to get your programming properly."...I'm not sure why I'm still surprised by ill informed reps, but I am. All that being said my MAIN audio problem is a "warble" in the audio...not all the time...just intermittently. Anyone else having this problem?
Sorry for the long post...this is my first and I have 11 years of Expressvu problems to get off my chest so be thankful it isn't as long as War & Peace.
dropshadow....I am not surprised you were so ill informed from the Bell crew. I've had nothing but headaches with them over the past few years as well.

I am going to be using optical cables as well but had planned on in the future using HDMI when I am able to get HDMI switching. I will keep this in mind for the audio.

Just curious did the audio "warble" or sound problems only happen on record playback? Did the broadcast Dolby digital HD stations remain clear at all times without interruption or warble?

My 9242 the discontinued model still has an out of sync audio interruption on playback and broadcast about every 5-10 minutes when being played in Dolby Digital. You problem sounds similar if it is happening on the HD channels that broadcase 5.1 dolby digital. That would be disappointing that they still with this new software suffer the audio lag or interruption I was experiencing.

Al B

Last edited by Al B; 2009-01-30 at 04:26 PM. Reason: additional text
Old 2009-01-30, 05:35 PM   #21
dropshadow
Rookie

I haven't gone through all the variables to trace the warble yet. I think it is on both recorded and live shows...but i have no idea if it is on Dolby 5.1 or not.
More checking to do!
Old 2009-01-30, 07:35 PM   #22
hwshi

Just to tell you I am running my audio through the optical output and have no audio issues so far, my video however is component so that may be the variable.
Old 2009-01-31, 11:06 AM   #23
PaulH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinza View Post

Lets be honest, the MX-500 is Old, the 9241 is New, I cannot imagine it having the codes.
The MX-500 may be an oldie, but it's still a goodie! Even though it doesn't have built-in codes for the 9241, it was able to "learn" the codes from the 9241's remote. I did, of course, have to switch the 9241 remote from UHF to IR for the learning process to work. Oddly enough the chapter in the 9241 user manual on Remote Control Setup excludes the section describing how this is accomplished. For that I had to surf over to the Dish Network support page for the VIP612 and download the complete chapter. (I wonder what else is left out of the Bell manual.)
Old 2009-01-31, 02:02 PM   #24
hwshi

hey Paul, care to share how to change the remote from UHF to IR.
Or just copy and paste the relevant section.
Old 2009-01-31, 03:42 PM   #25
PaulH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwshi View Post
hey Paul, care to share how to change the remote from UHF to IR.
Or just copy and paste the relevant section.
No problem. The remote has a well disguised "key" just below the "Bell" logo.

1) Remove the remote's battery cover.
2) With the remote face-up, pull down on the oval-shaped portion below the Bell logo. This is the key. You might have to push a fingernail along the curved crease below the logo to loosen the key. Remove the key by grasping at the bottom, and pull it straight out.
3) One side of the key is coloured silver (UHF), the other side is black (IR). To operate the remote in IR mode, simply reinsert the key black-side up.
4) Replace the battery cover.

To get UHF operation, repeat the steps above, but turn the key silver-side up. The remote seems to function in either UHF or IR mode, but not both.

Paul
Old 2009-01-31, 04:50 PM   #26
hwshi

Well I'll be damned, that is well hidden!

Thanks for the information Paul.

That explains why my Harmony remote wouldn't learn any commands from the 9241 remote but it worked when I used the 9242 remote.
Old 2009-01-31, 05:56 PM   #27
jks
Rookie

You can also do the same thing with the second remote on the 9242.
Old 2009-01-31, 07:31 PM   #28
rdx

It is the same procedure for 9200 remote because i have marantz rc1400 universal learning remote and the rc1400 frezze when i try to learning command over my 9200 remote
Old 2009-02-03, 09:17 AM   #29
Al B
Rookie

Default 9241 HDMI question

Is there anyone running HDMI successfully for both video and audio feeds? If not are some of you running the HDMI and optical cable combo as an alternative.

I am having mine installed tomorrow and wanted to give the installers the heads up. I would prefer to have the unit work fully on HDMI but at the same time want to make sure that I receive the best audio feed.

Al B
Old 2009-02-03, 12:33 PM   #30
Pinza
Veteran

Set up 3 yesterday all using HDMI for Video & Audio.

Tags
9241, bell tv, belltv, hdcp, hdmi issue, ppv, pvr, recording