Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

630 HD PVR - Non Owners and Potential Owners discussion

Tags
630 pre-order
273K views 873 replies 247 participants last post by  smp01 
#1 ·
First let me congratulate you on the release of the PVR, the service is now fully baked. I do have one question though, when we will see AMC and TCM on TELUS TV? They are not exclusives, Rogers, Shaw and I think Starchoice have them, and they would fantastic adds. I'll be signing right after XMAS is out of the way.

#2 ·
I've always wondered why we don't have TCM as it gets a lot of requests from the older folks. I'll ask about it.

In the meantime, as per the suggestions of the TCM website:

Is TCM available in Canada?

TCM is available in Canada.

Here is a list of Canadian companies currently carrying TCM:

Shaw Communications, Inc.
Star Choice, A Shaw Communications Company Rogers Cable Communications, Inc.
Access Communications Co-Operative, Ltd.
Sasktel
Westman Communications Group
Bell Aliant Regional Communications, L.P.
Novus Entertainment, Inc.
Mascon Communications Corporation
Total Cable Service, Inc.
Raftview Communications, Ltd.
Bonnechere Cable Company, Ltd.
Lake Huron Resort Cable
First Run Multimedia Corporation
Creenet, Inc.
Direct 2 Home TV

If your cable or satellite provider doesn't offer TCM, please supply us with your cable company's name and zip code, so we can forward the information to our representatives.

Here are some additional ways to approach your provider to get TCM:

- Write "I want Turner Classic Movies!" on your cable bill before you send it back every month.

- Call or write your cable company and tell them, "I want Turner Classic Movies on my cable bill!"

- Start a petition. Get as many signatures as possible from people who want to receive Turner Classic Movies. Deliver the petition to your cable company.

- Start a call-in campaign with your neighbors to your cable company`s Director of Marketing.

- Write an editorial and submit it to your local newspapers.

#12 ·
I saw it. I have it in my cache:

Revolutionize your television viewing experience with Canada's most advanced HDPVR*.
With Shaw Direct's new advanced HDPVR you can record up to 175 hours of programming, customize your recordings any way you want and enjoy tons of great features.

Get more with Shaw Direct's advanced HDPVR. Enjoy the power to pause, rewind and record live TV, plus amazing features like Smart PVR technology, our Interactive On-Screen Guide and more.
Shaw Direct offers:
■100% digital satellite TV
■More than 490 channels to choose from, including 65 HD channels
■Award-winning local customer service from three Canadian call centres
■No long-term contracts
■Flexible programming packages
■Prime time on your time – time shifting through six time zones
■Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound ™

Smart PVR Technology :
■Smart series recordings - choose only new or all episodes in HD, SD or even 3D.
■Record two new shows while you watch one from your recordings.
■Set your recordings to start early or end late – perfect for live sports events.
New Interactive On-Screen Guide:

■Find out what's on up to 14 days in advance.
■Easily find programs with new search features.
■Hide the channels you don't subscribe to.
■Quickly browse options with the new Interactive Menu Bar.
■Access more information on your programs, including star ratings and performers.
■Create multiple lists of your favourite channels.
It's small, but powerful.

With an easily upgradable platform, HDMI cable, MPEG-4 capability and an advanced HD decoder we're ready for the future… today. Two lines are required for Shaw Direct's advanced HDPVR. If you require a second line, an installation cost may be incurred.

Make the right choice.
Buy Canada's most advanced HDPVR for only $399.
Call 1.888.554.7827 to pre-order today.

#14 ·
#15 ·
Did you notice that Shaw direct let slip another info on the cached page. They claim to have 60 HD channels on their regular page but on the cached page it 65!! I know about Global HD coming in August and maybe the 60 figure does not include CNN HD but what of the remaining 3?

#20 ·
Old Starchoice Customer....

I will put it out there.....not as a troll but for customers with a DSR530 is $399 a fair price??...I do not think so @ all. It should be a free replacement across the board.
The crap that you owners have put up with over the years is inexcusable, they owe you guys that.
Looks like the Moto DCX3400 in a satellite version, hope it works!!!!

#24 ·
I hope they have some kind of discount set up for us 530 users. $100 off... $200 off... but I really don't think they will offer a free replacement. I jumped on board back when the 530 first came out so I've had ALOT of use out of mine. I have had problems with the 530 but they get fixed fairly fast. I'm on my 4th replacement now which they ship out very very fast. Sure I've lost recordings here and there because of problems but it's not a life or death situation. I would have liked dual-recording capability but timeshifting took care of most of my conflicts. I've learned to record most of my regular prime-time stuff on a westcoast feed and then use the eastcoast feeds for specials or hockey games I'd miss since I work evenings.

On another note... before the PDF files got deleted I noticed that the 630 comes with a 320gig drive which, they say, gives 175 hours of standard def programming. I installed a 320 drive in my 530 and I get about ~224gigs of standard def programming on the drive. The new firmware must use up a huge amount of space. Probably would have depleated the recording capacity of the regular 160gig drives that normally come with a 530 pretty darn fast.

#66 ·
8PSK will not affect recording space used. It is only used for the transmit modulation. Once it is in the box, it will be the same MPEG2 video coding as used on QPSK. MPEG4 will save recording space though, because it is video coding.

Other things to glean from the mangled spec sheet:
Has no RF out (mentioned), S-video, and coaxial audio. Uses a power brick (likely means it uses a notebook drive). Has eSATA, Ethernet, and for some reason, a serial port in a 3.5mm jack. New remote. Not enthused the A/B/C/D buttons are in a vertical coumn rather than a row on other remotes.

As for the DCx 3400/3200. It was not based on them. It was based on a certain model of commercial receiver. They may have chosen a case similar to the DCX boxes, because it was easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.