Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Telus Internet Price Discussions

53K views 100 replies 30 participants last post by  gzink 
#1 ·
Please use this thread to discuss Telus internet pricing.

#58 ·
You're right - Telus did change the wording. In post 52 I did a copy and paste of that original sentence from the Telus web page. I guess they were getting too many calls. ;)
Here's a comparison of the change:

OLD: Starting on February 1, 2016, the regular monthly rate for many TELUS High Speed Internet plans will increase.
NEW: Starting on February 1, 2016, the monthly rate for some TELUS High Speed Internet legacy plans will increase.

#61 ·
So I just got a mailed notice that I used 81% of the 100GB I am entitled to. Perhaps you would like to pay $30 more so you have unlimited?? Why did they spend the postage, material, and labor to ask me to pay $30 more when I haven't exceeded my limit? Idiotic. Email was available! :)
Oh also perhaps I would like to upgrade the service(when only the 6Mbps service is available in my area)? Another stupid thing. Modern systems for these vendors sure don't have codes/flags to help with smrt marketing.
Just lost my $30 month 6 month discount also.
Will have to vist Shaw!? :)

#65 ·
Good news - effective for billing dates after April 26th, the "Monthly data allowance" is increasing by 50 GB on all plans.

Internet Plan | Old Cap | New Cap
Internet 100 | 500 | 550
Internet 50 | 400 | 450
Internet 25 | 250 | 300
Internet 15 | 150 | 200
Internet 6 | 100 | 150
Internet 1 | 30 | 80

Overages:
•First 50GB bucket: $5
•Subsequent 50GB buckets: $10

More good news - the monthly maximum for overages is decreasing from $75 to $45.

Unlimited Data Usage is still $15/month if you also subscribe to any TELUS TV service or $30/month without TV.

Source: Understanding Internet overage charges | Support | TELUS.com

#67 ·
Internet 50 upgrade vs unlimited usage

So either of these options would cost me $15/month extra to upgrade.

I've been very close to going over Internet 25 - 250GB cap mostly due to streaming.

Would be nice to have a little more breathing room 400GB plus of course the speed increase but on the other hand unlimited usage gives peace of mind.

#70 ·
Well looks like Telus just lost a new customer. (Internet only.)

I had talked with a rep a couple months ago and was made an additional offer to the 3 months @ $45 for new customers. I asked the rep to call me back the next morning as I simply wanted to think about it. Kinda being "set in my ways" with Shaw. ("The devil you know" and all that...) Well, he never called back...and I would have accepted...Fail 1!

So, today I call again inquiring about the 50 down plan (same as last time) asking the rep what they would offer, even if just that same earlier offer. Apparently not. My question is, why? I was told today it was never on the table...so...why was it offered the first time? Why do I see people saying they got the same or similar offers online? Fail 2!

I don't think the offer was unreasonable, and probably why it was offered earlier. The offer was for an additional 3 months @ $45/month. I should have jumped on it right then and there....and again, would have accepted, had he called back as he said he would the next day...

So here I sit, frustrated and annoyed. I would have loved to give them a go seeing I believe my gaming issues may be Shaw related, but wanted to confirm/disprove my theory. (And that is all it is, a theory. Based on: )

I've been getting weird lag issues when playing TF2, were a friend of mine from New Zealand says he never sees it, with 3x my ping. Others, though closer yet still on the opposite side of the continent from the sever (being on the west coast as am I) have said the same. So I was hoping a move to Telus may just fix it, but possibly not. Was worth the shot at least.

I guess my business isn't worth an additional 3 month introductory offer, this time, nor a call back, the first time. (Seriously, I'd have booked an installation date had it been on the table today, but nope.)

But yeah, sorry for the longish post/rant but as stated, I'm kind of annoyed. Apparently Telus' left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. (Rather, offering.)

#71 ·
Put simply, I think you can find cases of poor customer service with both Telus and Shaw, although I do think that Shaw has been better for me over the past ~20 years. That is, I've had more cases of truly horrible customer service experiences with Telus than I have had with Shaw.

I think the main selling point of Telus in the future is (or will be) that they're investing more in fiber-to-the-home for existing neighborhoods than what Shaw is doing. At least, that's what I currently understand based on the information I have. In Edmonton Telus is supposed to be spending the big bucks to move to fiber. I haven't seen a comparable announcement from Shaw.

Of course, Telus is starting out behind Shaw since coax cable provides more potential bandwidth than a pair of copper wires (or even 4 copper wires). With fiber-to-the-home, Telus has a clear path to offering 10Gbps speeds.

If I were you, even without the extra 3 months of promotional pricing I'd still move to Telus since I'm assuming that you're not getting promo pricing from Shaw at all right now. Just hop back and forth between the two providers every time you qualify for promo pricing from the "other" ISP.

At least, if you want to optimize for cost (and not hassle) that's the way to do it. You'd also be able to test to see whether or not your ping issue is indeed a Shaw issue, or if it's something else.

#73 ·
@ audacity

Yeah I think I may just do that. I do currently have a $5 discount with Shaw internet. $68 vs $73 per month. (30 down) It's got a 2 or 3 months left but I do really want to see if my gaming issues go away with Telus or if it's something else.

@ TechGuy8

I know the initial offer existed, I was looking for the same deal offered earlier by the rep....that never called me back. They screwed up and from my point of view they should fix it. It was not an advertised price when offered. It was still 3 months @ $45. I asked for "something a little better" and it was what the rep offered. Had it been advertised, I would have taken it no questions asked. (Just to be clear there is no "angry tone" implied with this comment, as it could be read as such.)

#76 ·
Student promo Internet 25 $35/m Internet 35 $45/m

Telus student promo is being offered again this year until October 24.
- Student Internet 1 year offer: Internet 25 $35/m, Internet 35 $45/m
- Free installation and free modem rental
- For college or university students in BC and AB living alone or with parent
- $50 VISA gift card for new activation
- The owner name of the parent account must be changed to student name in order to qualify for this promo. Call Telus loyalty department to switch. As usual, Telus will do a credit check on the applicant. When I switched my account to my son two years ago, his credit file was blank. The loyalty department offered the same student deal on my account for 1 year. Then, I advised my son to get a student credit card from BMO to establish his credit. Last year, my account name changed to his name.

#77 ·
Just wanted to let you guys know with shaw now offering their 150/1TB internet package(50 for 12 months then 80 for the next 12) with 2 year contract deal ... telus has finally caught up to losing its customer base.. i signed up initially and spoke to telus before who just could not match it... called to cancel and was give a matching offer today they only have 100 plus unlimited for $45 for 12 months then 55 for the next 12. A tech has to come out and install the modem and check speeds. i decided to stay and cancelled my instal with shaw. some of the CSRs do not know about it so make sure you ask for the loyalty department

#78 ·
a correction and update... got my confirmation email 2 days after signing up and there is a 550Gb cap... their chat is down and also when you get thru the chat drops... on the phone to get a csr is at least 45 to 60 mins wait time. i've been trying to get them on the phone to correctly address this or to cancel. they will try to get you to PAY for the unlimited add on and Not every one of the CSRs are knowledgeable. just be patient and consistent... more to follow

#80 ·
Yeah Telus customer service waiting time has gotten ridiculous lately, might have to do with the Shaw Internet 150 deal.

I hope you get what you were promised. The retention service do tend to differ across reps. I called in about three times because of issues. The first two reps offered me a good deal, $75 for what I have right now. The second rep actually offered me the deal again that the first rep left a note for. Then the third rep disregarded everything that the past reps offered, and gave me a mere $15/month discount. I think the first two were in North America, and the last one in Southeast Asia.

#79 ·
This is a very interesting point for me because I currently pay $88/mo for Internet 50, and $15/mo for Unlimited usage. So, $103/mo total. If Shaw will do 150/15 down/up for $79/mo on a contract, that'll make me switch.

In "real" terms I get ~72mbps down and ~16mbps up with Telus today (even though on paper it says 50/10), and I use around ~550-600 gigabytes of data/month. Shaw's bandwidth cap of 1TB is effectively unlimited data from my point of view, so comparing $103 to $79 is a valid comparison.

Not to mention that since we haven't had Shaw services for over 2.5 years, we would be considered new customers and would qualify for the $49/mo price for the first of the two years! That means, I'd be saving $576 + tax in two years by going with Shaw. Or $936 saved if you include the $15 extra I'm sending Telus for unlimited data since their caps are much lower than Shaw's 150mbps package.

I'm very curious about what you end up getting with Telus, @creepwalker. I think I'm going to initiate a similar conversation with Telus tomorrow.

#81 ·
i called and finally got thru to someone after 55 minutes. i will have cut my bill in half when it gets installed next month. i told them i was leaving for shaw... one thing to note you have to have the ad up and make sure you say you Want unlimited internet for free for both years. one csr said it was only for a year but let them know its 2 yeas from shaw you are prepared to move as the speed is faster as well. also check your confirmation as the last guy made it sound like he was doing me favor and i let him know it was my time and money and i am willing to leave. they are just inundated with calls and people leaving. also make sue they make Clear notes as i was told telus billing only goes for a year at a time but i will get another confirmation in 6-9 months for my renewal for year 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.