Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How satisfied are you with this retailer?

• Extremely Satisfied

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Somewhat Dissatisfied

Votes: 28 15.9%
  • Extremely Dissatisfied

Votes: 28 15.9%

Review: Tiger Direct

48K views 60 replies 52 participants last post by  frenchhomer 
#1 · (Edited)
The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience with TigerDirect.

This is NOT a discussion thread so please limit yourself to one post which includes your review.

We welcome the input and opinions of all members whether they are good or bad, however, please note that this thread is NOT for rants. Whether you had a good or bad experience with this vendor we want to hear about it but in an OBJECTIVE manner.

If you post a rant or childish comments like, these guys "suck" or they're all a "bunch of idiots", then your comments will be considered trolling and your post will be deleted.

When you post, please try to include the following information:

• What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.

Guidelines for Posting Negative Reviews

The truth is no retailer or service provider is perfect and occasionally even the best companies can disappoint. Our experience is that good companies have problems but they typically make every reasonable effort to resolve problems.

If you had a problem and are posting a negative review, then please note what efforts you made to resolve the problem and the feedback you received. If you think the efforts to resolve the problem were NOT reasonable then please explain why. Saying you phoned up and talked to some idiot, suggests the problem may lie with the consumer and NOT the company!

No posting URLS or Directs to Competitors will be deleted

Posts containing URL's to competitors or posts saying gee you should have shopped at this retailer will be considered spam and deleted.

We want opinions, NOT sales pitches or spam!

See less See more
#2 ·
Tigerdirect has been a good addition on the scene in Toronto. I can only speak for the bricks and mortar store since I've never shopped online.

You have to be careful because sometimes their prices are not the best, however, I find on many occassions their prices are excellent.

the Etobicoke store is clean and wellstocked and I've always got to the cash with little line-up.

When I had to return an item once, they were very polite and gave me no problems.

Overall, I'm very satsified with TigerDirect.

#3 ·
I've purchased many products over the past few years, from an external hard drive (Seagate 160gb) to cables to refurb digital cameras for my kids. I've always been very satisfied with product and service. They do ship with UPS, though, and UPS is VERY slow to my area (rural BC). Shipping is usually quite expensive, $20+, so I usually wait until I can combine items. Our area didn't qualify for the $4.95 "all you can ship" deal they featured the past couple of months.

#4 ·
I have only purchased one item for TigerDirect to date (video capture device), and even though I returned it (decided I did not want the product), my experience with them was top notch. No issues with the return.

As with any "retailer" you need to compare prices and take into account the shipping costs when ordering from the web site.

#7 ·
Other retailers are excluding Tiger Direct from pricematching

I was in the Sudbury FS New Year's Eve and overheard a head salesman stating that they would honour their pricematching with anyone EXCEPT Tiger Direct. This may be due to TD selling OEM units instead of regular retail.

I recently bought a replacement Motorola bluetooth headset from Tiger direct--same make/model as 1st time--but this unit was an OEM from Verizon, while my 1st one was a retail boxed Motorola. (As a result, I was unable to use a rebate from Motorola who only honour Motorola Canada imported units.)

I've ordered 4 times from TD, but the 4th time my order was delayed as I hadn't ordered in several months and TD insisted I call them to confirm the order. I was on hold over an hour--counting the several times I attempted the call in order to confirm my order. Have never had this issue come up with other online retailers whose sites appear ready to honour a properly authorized cc order.

#8 ·
This is my first time making a purchase from tigerdirect. They had a 2 for 1 deal on the Ultra 10-Outlet Tower Surge Protector, so I ordered the two pack deal. I placed the order on the 29th of December and I got it on the 8th of January, so it was soon enough for me. The shipping box was adequate and both units work fine. Canada Post is cheaper, so I wish they had used them instead of UPS, but the 2 for 1 deal really made it worth while.

#9 ·
Ordered some cables online recently. They were shipped the next day and I was easily able to track my order. Using UPS Ground was very slow, IMHO. The package took 11 days to get to St. John's. I think it would have been quicker and more ecomonical if they had used Canada Post. I was considering buying an UPS from them as their online price was excellent. However, the cost of shipping put the bottom line the same as a local retailer so I went that route instead.

I used them when I lived in Ontario and the shipping was cheap and very fast indeed. Perhaps they should investigate alternatives for shipping to the outer reaches of the country.

Their web site is very well laid out and ordering online is quick & easy!

RH

#10 ·
I have made many purchases from Tiger direct ca and com and they are both fantastic. Their prices are great, their products are great, the order/check out system is simple to use, and the shipping is fantastically fast.

I have ordered cables (Component, optical audio, HDMI), memory cards for two cameras, RAM for my computer, and recently a new power cord for my SAMSUNG DLP which have all been exactly what they were claimed to be and lived up to the expectations I had for those products.

Great company, no worry internet shopping, 10/10 from me.

#11 ·
Tiger direct -

Have ordered from TD a half dozen times, camera batteries, PC memory, peripherals etc...experience was just Ok...but no euphoria...really hate the TD tactic of lure (quote a price) with the catch of a mfg. rebate...if submitting a rebate request and several weeks to honouring...with many rebates never received or cancelled. for whatever reason weeks later...

Naw, TD is not for me....the price quoted is what i like to pay....forget the mail in rebate idea...just not worth the trouble and poor return ratio, I have experienced with this vendor.

the only good rebate experience i have experienced is staples...easy and convenient over the web with no need to submit anything via post

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
I live close to two TD stores, so I don't order online, but the in-store selection isn't as good as online. I've been mostly pleased with the service, once I realized the rebates were as much a scam as anything else. I got about half of the ones I submitted. Now I either make sure that the item doesn't have a rebate, or just don't bother applying, if the price is good enough. The stores also have clearance areas, so you can sometimes get some good deals there. I picked up a dual-core P4 2.8 CPU for $120. I also had to return a motherboard once, and they didn't charge me the restocking fee, which was nice.

Overall, I would go there before anywhere else, for most stuff.

Tom

#14 ·
Good Prices - Expensive Delivery

I like TigerDirect's prices but I too am sick of the mail in rebates. What I don't like is their use of UPS for delivery as I'm never home during the day. I also think their shipping charges are excessive. I would be happy with a lower shipping cost and Priority Post

#15 ·
I've had overall good experience with them. At first I thought that they were somewhat expensive (at times) but one has to remember that their Canadian prices include taxes/duty etc gathered at the border.
Their Customer Service isn't too hot. It takes an age to get through and often they cut you off.

#16 ·
I purchased a one meter HDMI cable from Tiger Direct -- the physical store, not online. Bought it two weeks ago from the Etobicoke store (on The Queensway), for a price that rivals just about every other store.

I am very satisfied with the product and had a positive experience with the service. Although it took a while before I could corner a salesperson (and only because there were A LOT of customers that day), when I asked him about cabling needed for a couple different things, he explained and described each one that I would need, and pointed them out on the rack. He apologized for being out of stock of one of them, and suggested I check out The Source. He took his time with me, although I knew his buddy was waiting for him so they could both go for lunch.

This guy was terrific. He even knew that the DVD player connected to the HDTV wasn't set for a widescreen TV, and it seemed to pain him to have Star Wars running, cos the picture was squished. The remote for the DVD player was missing, he said, and he wished he could switch it over to widescreen, just to get the picture right. I've pointed this out to employees of various other stores, and not one of them cared. Some even pointed out that it was a widescreen DVD, and that it's supposed to look like that. Not this guy. He knew his stuff. Props to him!

Overall: a very positive experience, and I'm extremely satisfied.

cheers,
supervij

#17 ·
Lost a good customer

I have a small company that repairs computers and have dealt with Tiger Direct via telephone & email for many years and have always recieved excellent service, as of late I am in a credit card dispute over Warranty products not credited back to my credit card as promised. One large amount was removeed from my card promised to be credited on return of defective product. They ended up crediting two of my other cards with small amounts not adding up to close the full amount, with no invoice as to what they did and are unwilling to deal with this problem, which is now being investigated by my credit card company. This lack of accountability and insecure handling of my credit cards has led me to halt any further transactions with them.
Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to a pattern of routinely responding slowly to complaints. Although the company resolved the complaints, it was not within the Bureau's time frame.
The Bureau processed a total of 1048 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 1048 complaints in the last 36 months, 510 of those were closed in the last 12 months.

#18 ·
Who is in charge?

I bought a new desktop computer from Tiger Direct that included a Vista upgrade. The computer came, but, no Vista. I contacted Tiger Direct...they shuffled me off to Supportforyourpc....who shuffled me off to QMSCorp and Valerie Krieger who never reply to e-mail.
I have been going round and round for over three months....nobody, it seems, is responsible and nobody knows where the buck stops. Could someone at Tiger Direct make a phone call? Not in this lifetime.
I highly recommend not purchasing anything from this company that is not installed when you purchased it....the after sales support sucks big time.

#19 ·
Buyers beware

Having dealt with Tigerdirect in order to save a few bucks when they have promotions involving rebate from Onrebates.com, I am no longer dealing with them.

The Onrebate.com is just a hidden company belonging to Tigerdirect. Go to http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66606 to read my problems with it. There is a long list of complaints involving these 2 companies and many of them unresolved. After googling to see if I was the only one, there is probably only a handful of satified customers getting their money back from these rebates. Some are still fighting after 2 years!!! I don't think it's worth the hassle to get $30 back when you have to sink in $40 worth of long distance calls.... :eek:

#20 ·
I've bought several things from Tigerdirect.... mostly refurb'd wireless B routers. USB WIFI adapters for my student houses.

The prices are good on the refurb'd stuff.

I would be wary of the rebates... I've had few rejected rebates...

I give them a B- on price... there are good deals.... if u avoid the rebates....

I have not had to return anything yet....

/pc

#21 · (Edited)
Very Happy Customer

What product or service you purchased?

I bought the following products as part of my 1st ever build:
Intel C2D E4300 @ 3.0 ghz
EVGA 680i SLI (A1)
2 x XFX 7600GT XXX @ 727/866 (SLIed only when gaming)
Ultra Gladiator Case
Corsair TWINX 2048Mb PC6400 DDR800
WD/CaviarSE16/500GB/7200
Cooler Master Hyper TX Intel 775
Ultra X3 1000W

Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
Over the last 4 months

What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
Etobicoke

Your overall level of satisfaction
Extremely Satisfied

If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
Eventhough I had done extensive research before my 1st build I was still nervous.

1st off, The Store: Very Clean, spacious, lots of room. Ok not fancy like best buy. Lots of product are exposed so you can get a real touch and feel for quality and looks.

2nd The Staff: All wearing "uniforms" so you can clearly find one if you need help. If you look lost, they will ask if you need help, then go away if not required. I can walk there for and hour and not be annoyed by pushy salesman. Most of of them are "kids" that actually have built their own machines and know their stuff.

3rd Service: I walked in, found this "dude" and said, "I want to do a build, can you help?", he did something I found incredible. He asked things like, "do i have a list" (which he carefully reviewed, and made suggestions), "what do you want to use the build for?", for each of the components he mentioned pros and cons (e.g. "This case has got great cooling, but the on\off switch is behing the door, and can be annoying", etc.,), "This mobo might be overkill, unless you're planning to upgrade CPU down the road". Just a really great experience. He also showed me both cheaper and more expensive components from my list explaining again pros and cons of each.

4th Return policy: Before this build I had bought a GPU to upgrade my existing HP Media Centre PC. Went home and found out that my PSU was not powerfull enough, I went back to return the card, and the when I was at the return desk, the guy who suggested the card to me asked why I was returning the card, and I told him why, and he said he said he had forgot to ask me what my PSU was rated at, and that he should have, so he told the cashier to waive the re-stocking fee! I did not even ask for it :eek:, he just offered it. I could not believe this.

5th Defective product: One of the GPUs I bought was defective, went to the store, they tested it, and said I could return it without paying restocking fee, or I could get a replacement. Sweet.

6th Prices: They are usually good, compared to other retailers and etailers, and since I live close to the store I am always on the look out for specials which I can find on their web site. I will buy at TG even when i find cheaper stuff elsewhere (within reason off course) because of their service and returns experience.

7th Availability: The store has pretty good availability, and if something is not available at the store but available online, they do a special order and dont charge for shipping.

If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.
1. MIR: A lot of their stuff has MIR, which is crap, I dont really blame them in such a competitive market. I just wish they were banned in Canada, but oh well. I only buy their stuff if the price is good and ignore the MIR.

#22 ·
tiger an rebates

purchased a number of products from them, recently the largest a viewsonic 37" lcd from the mississauga store - sales person i found quite helpful, however I have a couple of long standing rebate issues and will never purchase any item from them where a rebate is involved

#23 ·
Tigerdirect is one of the worst retailers when it comes to price gouging Canadians. All you have to do is compare identical items on www.tigerdirect.com vs www.tigerdirect.ca. 90% of their products are on both websites with exacly the same item#. Most items are shipped from exactly the same location from the same stock. If you receive e-mail alerts of specials from the .com amd .ca sites they are offering identical procuts with the $CDN price anywhere from 20% to 35% higher. Of course you cannot order through the US site and pay the US price.
Below is the text of an e-mail that I sent to a Toronto Star reporter re this.
www.tigerdirect.com It would be helpful if a columnist at the Star could write about some of the more egregious pricing practices by retailers and manufacturers of consumer electronics such as computers and televisions. Perhaps if enough direct examples of mis-pricing were published in the media people would resist purchasing the items therefore forcing some movement on the prices.

For example
Two days ago I attempted to purchase a laptop online from Tigerdirect I compared prices on the Canadian version of their website http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=30&Nav=|c:2510|&Sort=4

with the American version
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?page=2&Nav=|c:2510|&Sort=4&Recs=30

Upon looking it is obvious that they sell in most cases identical products
(which even have an identical item#) from both websites. The published prices are significantly lower on US site even though the laptops are sourced from the same warehouse in the US. They are not separate inventories.
I phoned the 800 number which is the same on the Canada and US site to enquire about a made to order Systemax Laptop (item# BTO 038663) which is their house brand which I was told is actually Tigerdirect's parent company. The price to Canadians is $976.99 to Americans is $749.99 a difference of $227 (30%)

Below are the links to this item on the US site
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3329171&CatId=2510

and the Canadian site,
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3329171&CatId=2510

You can see that the only difference is the price. Since this product is assembled in the same location with the identical components presumably purchased at the same cost they cannot use the usual argument of inventory purchased at higher Canadian prices.
Almost all of the products offered online by Tigerdirect bear a similar price discrepancy. Other online technology retailers who offer the identical or almost identical goods in both Canada and the US such as Best Buy and Costco are persisting in charging Canadians much higher prices. And of course a Canadian cannot order the products from the US web sites.
In the article on your front page about Jim Flaherty's meeting with Canadian retailers the justification used for such price differences was that
"prices reflect higher costs in Canada than the U.S. for freight, import duties, language translation and other items".

When you compare prices of many identical items as illustrated above this justification is revealed as a large amount of "bafflegab".
it is unfortunate that few seem to be commenting this issue with the appropriate amount of critical examination

#24 ·
We may wish for retailers in the US and Canada to have pricing at par, however, much of the time they are not buying from the same source. Distribution channels like TechData, Ingram Micro etc US and Canada are separate entities that will only sell to resellers within their country.

#25 ·
You can't let the large retailers like Tigerdirect Costco Best Buy etc. off the hook that easily.
Small retailers who have to source through distribution channels like TechData, Ingram Micro may have some difficulty negotiating appropriate pricing. Large multinational retailers however have much more leverage and the ability to negotiate pricing and to deal directly with manufacturers. They also often have house brands from suppliers with home they directly deal and greatly influence the price.
And don't get me started on price disparities from Dell and Apple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.