Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How do I get a US Sirius Subscription?

144K views 168 replies 70 participants last post by  starchoice 
#1 ·
I got a Sirius Satellite radio for Christmas and I was wondering how I go about getting a US subscription? I travel to the US on a regular basis and would prefer to have their lineup (best of XM etc).

Thanks for the help.

#87 ·
Every subscription will cost, just like with every business. Just because everything is set up doesn't mean that adding extra is free. Anyway Sirius Canada and XM Canada will have to pay their US operations for any service they give away.

As for automakers not paying, I've seen the services being offered, and some are detailed on billing statements as free trial, some as prepaid. It seems some automakers get free service (looking around it seems to be the 3 monthers) and those that have longer service are prepaid and likely paying for it. Or do you think Sirius and XM really give away free service for the year long periods, or even those vehicles that come with a lifetime subscription?

#88 ·
What are their extra costs associated with giving a free trial?
Anyway Sirius Canada and XM Canada will have to pay their US operations for any service they give away.
How do you know that?

Or do you think Sirius and XM really give away free service for the year long periods, or even those vehicles that come with a lifetime subscription?
I've never heard of any vehicles that come with a year or lifetime subscription.

#89 ·
Final Confirmation Getting a US Subscription

Hello,
So to confirm I can get a US subscription on a CAnadian sirius radio IF i go activate online through the US website, providing a US address, such as the hotel in Arizona, and then immediately change my billing to my Visa after doing this so that there is no paper trail? US channels are much better and is obviously cheaper. Anyone have any other thoughts/advice???
THANKS!!!

#90 ·
I set up a US sirius/best of xm account today on my new ford I bought here 6 months ago. I went to the sirius us web site. Setup a new account. I used a Montana hotel address, no sales tax here. Put in the Montana address.Then gave the same billing address as my "home address". It then asks for you to confirm your credit card address. I put in my canadian BMO mastercard address and BINGO!! It billed me the subscription fee on my credit card. I used a montana address as they have no sales tax here. I just checked my radio in the truck and I am getting all the channells I subscribed to. Had my doubts but it worked........

#91 ·
Just wanted to chime in with my experience with US Sirius Sub in Canada.

Called about 30 minutes ago using the number posted here, no problem.

After enduring the annoying voice activated service and living with the on hold music (could they not pipe in something on Sirius, I seriously doubt this music was) I get someone on the phone who asks for my Phone # which for some reason doesn't come up on here system (I changed it to my Canadian phone #, maybe that's why) so they ask for the Account # which seems to work ok after I read it back 3 times ( I think it was a language barrier thing, very hard to understand lady on phone ).

So after I explain I want to cancel, she says she has to transfer me over to Cancellations so again with the hold music and I get a very friendly gentleman on the phone where I explain want to cancel due to cost/Don't use it excuse (untrue).

So right off the bat he offers 1/2 off for all the channels for a year. I didn't even have to haggle. And this is for all the channels (I was only paying for the music channels up to now).

On that offer, I get 1 year for $88.01US including the music royalty fee, etc. I was paying $34.56 Quarterly for just the music channels. Not too bad really, it comes to less than $100CDN for the year which I find is worth it for me. He also took my Credit card off the automated billing so next year they will send a bill out instead of auto-charging my credit card.

Overall I thought the guy was great, should have got his name!!

Here is what I paid before and after (from my account)

Code:
1/1/10  Credit Card Payment  	 -34.56
1/1/10 	MOSTLY MUSIC -  Quarterly Service 	29.97 	4.59 	0.00
Code:
3/30/10 Credit Card Payment  	 -88.01
3/30/10 SIRIUS EVERYTHING -  Half-off - 12mo - Promo  	 6.54 1.00  	 
3/30/10 	SIRIUS EVERYTHING -  Half-off - 12mo - Promo 	70.46 	10.78 	0.00 	3/30/10 	80.47
Oh, and I use an address in New Hampshire which is another tax-free state.

#92 ·
I had that option to: come off the direct billing/payment. I didnt like that idea since it may trigger other problems like RTS (return to sender) by the US address I used.

I am actually impressed with Sirius USA and I am kinda getting used to the inferior sound quality. Still, I am a bit concerned with the drop-outs when driving in Metro Vancouver. Of course, I do have my antenna in my car, not outside as I often take inside or use it at work. I should get another car kit but they're pricey. I dunno if the cheaper Stratus car kits work with my Sportster 5.

#94 ·
Judging from all the responses on this forum, the answer would be yes. Just be sure to know your "mailing" address.

#96 ·
Ala Carte Service

My main beef with Sirius Canada, is that I have to pay for a bunch of channels I never listen to. Has anyone had success with getting the ala carte service by setting up their subscription with Sirius US.

The US web-site info is a little vague on this, but it kind of looks like a month to month billing, which may or may not set off someones radar with my Canadian credit card.

It also appears that only certain model radios will work with this plan...I'm guessing my old ST1 Starmate with the KA modulator would have to be replaced. Can anyone confirm this?

Finally, has anyone had issues with cancelling shortly after the subscription has been automatically renewed....my secondary unit just popped up on my April c/c bill as I wasn't keeping track of when it was due. Will I have a battle on my hands trying to get a credit back? (I had an issue a while back where they offered me an extra month, but it took over a year of complaining to actually get that freebie added to my account)

#97 ·
Sirius US account

I am very new to all this.I just bought a Siruis Sportster 5 off ebay and paid for a 6 month Canadian subscription.
I'm a little confused on how or if i can change it to the US subscription.
I'm not very good navigating around computers,just an old retired guy.
Can someone help me understand how i would go about changing it since i have already paid for the 6 months.
Hope i'm making sense.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill

#98 ·
Switch to Best of Sirius/XM?

I have a question and hope someone can help. I have a FREE sub with XM that was included with my new car. The sub is up July31.

If I switch to the US XM will my car radio allow me to listen to the Best of Sirius/XM?

Thanks

#101 ·
I am in the same situation. I am currently in my XM trial period in Canada. I would like to subscribe to US XM because that service includes NavTraffic which my car supports but is not available in Canada.

Does XM Canada automatically "release the unit" at the end of the trial period or do you need to call them? How likely are they to allow the unit to be released? Has anyone done this successfully?

#105 ·
We purchased a Stiletto 2 unit today here in Canada and activated it in the US. As my wife is American and resides part-time in the US this is legit. The website accepted our BMO MC no problem, but we did run in to one little snag. When it first powered up it downloaded the (Canadian?) channel listing and even though we subscribed to "best of XM" these channels (197 to 220 or so) were not showing up. I ended up "deleting and reseting" the receiver and then an online synch and that seemed to fix the problem.

#107 ·
The benefit is that XM US provides NavTraffic service which is not available from XM Canada (even though the traffic service covers some Canadian cities). Some cars sold in Canada come with nav systems that support traffic, but this requires NavTraffic service to work.

I have also heard that people can get lower price deals from XM US than Canada.

Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be any benefit.

#110 ·
To each his own... but the benefit for us was greater selection of channels. With the Sirius / XM merger down south we were able to subscribe to the "best of XM" package add-on currently not available in Canada. The package gets you The Virus (Opie and Andy), PGA, (some) NBA, college sports, and most importantly (some) NHL... along with a few other extra channels (one being Oprah which I have 0 interest in)!

#115 ·
purchase a US xm radio, to be used in canada

we are going down to vermont for the weekend and i plan on buying the onyx xm radio, and i am still alittle bit confused as to how i can get a us sub, we do have a US address in florida(condo) should there be any conflicts even though i would activate it from canada by phone or online? payment would be CC.

Thanks

#117 ·
has anyone activated a us sub with a canadian credit card recently? i'd prefer the us sub so that i could get college sports etc. my debate is either purchasing a us radio next time i'm down there or if i could let my canadian sub run out and have them release the radio to be reactivated with a us sub. which is the better/easier option?
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.