Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 9242 HD PVR Discussion thread

1M views 4K replies 709 participants last post by  jackching 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu HD PVR when it becomes available.

I will update this thread when we have specs and details.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Update: See Bev 9242 HD-PVR for details and for NON-owners to discuss.

Master Reset Link:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1361019#post1361019

Edit by 57 - 9242 User Guide:

http://support.bell.ca/_web/guides/tv/userguide/receiver/9242/9242_11(en).pdf

#441 ·
I've been complaining to Bell for a long time. If we all complain to Bell, rather than complaining here, maybe Bell will eventually do something about the problems.
Here is the response i got from my last complaint;

"I understand that you are experiencing technical difficulty with your HDPVR receiver and would like to get it replaced.
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and absolutelyunderstand how upsetting it is if your HD receiver does not function properly even after being replaced. For replacement I would request you to please call our Technical Support Team in our Customer Service Call Centre at 1-888-759-3474 and they do the necessary for you.
The drawbacks of the 9200 receiver like HDMI problems, Audio dropouts and video freezes are know and out technicians are working on it to resolve the concern very soon. Thank you for your patience and understanding in this regard."

#449 ·
Audio Sadness

i was having these problems with optical cable to my receiver, changing setting b/w pcm/digital to pcm seems to have solved it.
Last night, while watching the recorded Desperate Housewives PVR event, during the first 10 minutes or so, the audio was dropping every 25-45 seconds.

Over Optical: I can see the interruption of the signal, where the dolby digital logo disappears from the display of my yamaha.

Over RCA: You can hear a slight blip, not a complete dropout.

Has anyone else confirmed if changing your settings to PCM 100% fix this?

Also, doesn't changing to PCM only downmix any 5.1 signal?

What should I do besides trying this?

#447 ·
Dundee...you mention a noisy 9242. After all is turned off (short of unplugging) on my new unit...no lights...there is still something running. This, according to ExpressVu, shouldn't happen. It shd shut down 30 mins after downloading the schedule at the default 3AM. Mine runs all the time - almost sounds like a fan but is creating its own heat at the rear left of the box so I'm thinking hard drive and I'm thinking it must be designed to do this to have a satellite link all the time. Does anybody else's run-on like this?

#448 ·
In part it depends on how you have your unit set up. Both tuners would have to be "off" for example.

The unit is never really inactive, as you state, since it is constantly looking for key changes and other commands in the sat stream. It will also download the guide at a preset time.

The fan is temperature controlled. If the unit sits in a warm place, the fan could be running.

The HDD, at least on mine, goes into a "quieter" mode but doesn't usually seem to completely shut down. When active, you can hear the normal seek noises that a HDD produces.

#450 ·
dosborne...appreciate response. I haven't heard the usually hard disk noise when working (clicking or whatever), if so that would be a good clue as to the nature of the noise. It really sounds more like a VCR recording a good signal, i.e. steady. As far as it being a fan is concerned, I haven't ruled that out although I feel no air movement. How could such as simple thing generate this much involvement.

#451 ·
I'm quite sure its the HDD spinning, not a fan. I find it runs constantly even if the receiver has been "off" for over 12 hrs. Also, I have left the receiver on for over 8 hours of not watching anything (forgot to turn it off), and that 4 hr standby timer did nothing that I could tell. They should be able to modify the S/W to turn off the HDD, why have it running when there are no upcomming timers?

#452 ·
Humpty...it may not work the way we'd like to see it but it is of some comfort to know that others are running the same way and I shouldn't panic and pack it up for a replacement that does the same thing. I don't get it but if they want to burn the HDD out sooner, I've got a year warranty. With todays technology, I'm not so sure it would matter if it ran full time or not...they're designed ( a microchip I suspect) to die the day after the warranty. (jk) Thx.

#453 ·
This has been covered many times before.

Yes, It stays on ALL the time its plugged in, don't worry about it. If the fan is too noisey, its too hot. Try a cooler loacation.

IF it shut down, you wouldn't like the 4 minute boot up time. Then the 8 minute guide download.

Try it, Unplug it every night, then plug it in again every time you want to watch TV. You'll decide its a lot easier just to leave it plugged in.

#454 ·
Appreciate info Tom...as a newcomer to this excellent forum, I could appreciate the topic had been discussed and although I did search for the symtoms, I may have used the incorrect search wording. The location doesn't get much cooler than where it is right now (under TV on open air stand -beside glass doors - 1 1/2' of snow outside (south of Calgary). Going to let it run-on. Really not that noisy but I was more concerned about the wear & tear. Anyways, moved onto another hopefully minor situation with the 9242unit where it was losing signal and reloading the guide every 5 minutes. A reboot seems to have worked for now and hopefully will remain in place for the last Calgary Flames game today. Thx again.

#455 ·
I'm not worried about the HDD running, I've seen many HDDs last 10+ years in systems that read/write 24/7, though I wouldn't count on it:( It just seems a waste, just like the power inserter for the SW44 using 31W all the time. One of these days, I'm going to measure my phantom power draw with all this stuff. I still don't buy the 4-8 minute bootup reasoning, does the 9242 keep guide and firmware info on the HDD? I just figured the HDD only stored PVR shows which would mean the unit could put the HDD into hibernate and still updade guide info.

#456 ·
I just figured the HDD only stored PVR shows which would mean the unit could put the HDD into hibernate and still updade guide info.
Yes. The HDD is used to buffer 'live' tv, store timers/events (depending on the receiver model and firmware version - otherwise the eeprom is used), recorded material, the EPG and I believe a backup/temp copy of the firmware.

Actually, it is significantly better (at least for older technology) to keep the system running 24/7. Typically, it is the startup/shutdown that "kills" items like HDDs. Although power consumption is higher, longevity is greater.

#459 ·
Can record 2 programs at once with 9242

Got 2 9242's installed last night. Installer says you can't record 2 programs at the same time which is not correct as I used to have a 9200. I think he has not installed in properly. I am in single mode but when I try to record 2 programs it says "recording in progress". Can anyone help? With my old 9200, I recall there was a coax cable also going from the receiver to the TV. Could this be the problem? :p

#460 ·
As long as both tuners are functioning (ie both have cable feeds from the switch) you can record 2 programs at once
You can use a piece of coax cable, or composite (red/white/yellow) for the
2nd tuner to the tv, and then switch inputs to record to different tuners
HD will be your current input (HDMI, DVI, Component?) and the 2nd tuner will be video input ....
I like this setup, so I can use my TV's PIP capabilities, but its just personal preferance I guess
This is how mine is setup, with a rg6 coax also feeding the rest of the house
It sounds like maybe you are trying to record to a tuner that is already recording a program

#461 ·
with my old set up, I could just record the 2 programs by pressing the record button on 2 different programs. with this install that is not working. i was just mentioning the coax as it is the only thing that is different. i'm wondering if the 2 feeds from the dish are working properly

#465 ·
Shaft - I've merged your threads together. Here is my reponse from your other thread:

The coax out cable to a tv is not required.

It must be a menu setting. I have the 9200, both are billed as dual tuners PVRs therefore it must be able to record off both at the same time.

In fact, you should be able to record 2xSAT tuners and 1xOTA tuner, which I have done on the 9200. (3 concurrent recordings)

Check to ensure both tuners are active (check switch).
Single mode should be correct.
Also check to see which tuner is set as the default for recording (change to 2 if necessary) - I suspect this is the cause.

Can't remember more without going through the menu myself. Maybe someone else will have a unit handy.

#467 ·
2 cables

I have purchased a 9242. I have ran only one cable (RG6) to the reciever (only need to run 1 tv off it). It seems to work fine but when the power shuts off or I shut it down for long periods (12 hours) it gives me a check switch demand. After i check switch then it is fine. Will running this 2nd line get rid of this? It seems a waste because it works fine for 1 TV once you do a check switch. I have tried to leave my reciever on 24 / 7 but it shuts down after a while of inactivity. Thanks in advance.