Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bose Soundline Mini

Tags
bose speakers
6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Smoothfonzo 
#1 ·
A few years ago, my wife needed computer speakers so we picked up her a set of Bose Companion 2 speakers at a boxing day sale.

I was blown away by the clarity of the sound. It just seemed so much more alive than any other speakers we had used. Fortuitous as my wife plays Native American flute and records her music for her CDs and having accurate, clear playback is essential.

For the last few years, I have had "speaker envy" for her speakers but kept using my Phillips bookshelf stereo for my own computer speakers and for playing music.

Our Sony portable player in our bedroom packed it in, so I moved my Phillips stereo into the bedroom and decided to get myself another sound solution for my computer/office.

I thought of getting my own set of Bose Companion 2s but I figured upgrading to a more portable solution would give me more flexiblity.

So I brought home the Bose Soundlink Mini this week. Works with bluetooth or auxiliary in and is rechargeable and ultraportable.

The sound is fantastic - all I had hoped for. And I love that I can connect my other devices to it. I can use it in the kitchen while I wash dishes, run the sound from my computer, play music off of my tablet or smart phone or even take it out.

The only drawback is that there is no headphone jack on it. But I am really enjoying the sound.

Finally, no more "speaker envy." :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Don't take this as thread crapping but many people here would have steered you away from Bose. Their speakers were often criticized for having a small range and emphasizing certain frequencies. Plus they made some pretty fantastic claims back in the day. But they are not worthless. Nor are they bad speakers.

I don't own any Bose but that is only because I found them more expensive than similarly capable speakers or systems.

You might find this article interesting. I did.

Bose: Why Audiophiles Should Stop the Hate
http://www.audioholics.com/editorials/bose-why-audiophiles-should-stop-the-hate

#3 ·
When ever I've listened to Bose speakers at retail stores I always thought they sounded pretty good and woundered why there was so much "audiophile" knocking of them. I suppose they can be a little pricey at times but if you can get them on sale as you have I'd be happy too.

#4 ·
During my research on the various speaker options I did come across a lot of comparison videos and many did love the Soundlink Mini. One compared the Mini to the UE Boom. The reviewer liked the UE Boom better because he said it was louder and had more bass.

But during the review, to my ears, the sound on the Mini was much clearer, even though the reviewer liked the one with more bass more.

I did listen to other alternatives in local stores and I can hear the difference in the Bose.

So I went with my own ears. After all, I am the one who has to listen to it. :)

#5 ·
Your last two sentences nailed it perfectly. Some people want accurate sound, some want deep bass that they can feel; even if midrange frequencies are lost in the boominess. What matters most is that you are happy with the sound.

Sent using radio waves of some sort

#9 ·
Good point on the speaker separation, okmrbh.

The Companion 2 may have given a better sound for that reason, but the Soundlink Mini has the benefit that I can also connect my smart phone and table to it.

I often take my tablet and the Soundlink Mini into the kitchen and watch music videos while I cook and do the dishes. It would be more awkward to do this with the Companion 2.

#10 ·
So, I bought myself this as a Christmas present to myself this year. And I have to say they really are fantastic. Sound quality is great, and it has good range of lows and highs, with rich warm tones. Overall, a good balance. I also have a set of Companion 2's for my PC, and while those are good, I find myself preferring these. They are kind of pricy, but the build quality is really good. They have a heft to them due to an all-aluminum casing, and don't feel cheap, which is more than can be said of many small speakers of similar size. So, taking the sound and build qualities into account, they are definitely worth it, and may be even one of Bose's best products.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.