Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

What is TSN going to show now?

66K views 362 replies 72 participants last post by  cyclist44 
#1 ·
Any speculation or guesses as to what TSN is going to show when There National NHL contract expires?

Will Sports Net be showing less baseball games when hockey season is on?
Will TSN be showing more Raptor games and more NBA games?
Will TSN be showing more NCAA Football and Basketball?
Will TSN be showing AHL and CHL junior hockey?

Lets hope we don't see more Poker.

#61 ·
If there's some sort of US-based simulcast involved, TSN will be all over it. From loving the early days of TSN in 1984-87, watching Blue Jays baseball with Tony Kubek, Don Chevrier and Ken Singleton, I have now come to despise TSN for: simulcasting EPL footy from the US instead of using the superior international feed, their use of an obtrusive score scroller whenever convenient, poor simulcasting whenever coming back from a commercial (every Monday Night Football game) and a failure to adhere to the rule about commercial volume being in line with the broadcast. The ONE thing they did right was NHL hockey. Now, they might as well just have no staff and just a few technicians to cue up the ESPN simulcasts from south of the border. TSN really is the the "Lazy Network".

#66 ·
I'm not sure why TSN uses the NBC Sports feed for their Premiere League coverage. Maybe it's because they have more breaks for commercials than the world feed.

I'd have thought NBC's on-screen ads might be a problem, especially if they are for competition to TSN's advertisers.

#73 ·
TSN has picked up (from Rogers/Blue Jays) the rights to ESPN telecasts of Monday Night and Wednesday Night Baseball, in addition to the current Sunday Night Baseball package.
Canada's Sports Leader announced today it has acquired media rights for Major League Baseball's (MLB) marquee Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday night games through to 2021. TSN platforms will broadcast 75+ live games per season – tripling the network's current slate of MLB games.

With the new deal TSN retains rights to ESPN's SUNDAY NIGHT BASEBALL and, for the first time, acquires rights to ESPN's MONDAY NIGHT BASEBALL and WEDNESDAY NIGHT BASEBALL. In addition to the live games, TSN also acquires rights to ESPN's flagship baseball show BASEBALL TONIGHT, along with a comprehensive package of MLB digital content.
http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=442924

Make's sense in that, Sportsnet never wanted to air ESPN branded games due to all of the in-game "Sportscenter" promotion and the ESPN styling on the graphics being similar to that of TSN. Outside of SNB, the MNB and WNB games are non-exclusive meaning Sportsnet can still air other games. Plus in April, May, June and September the Sportsnet schedule will be overloaded with hockey going forward.

#75 ·
RDS had Sunday, Monday and Wednesday ESPN MLB rights for quite some years, now TSN will join them. It was a bit stange to see that RDS/RDS2 was the only canadian network carrying ESPN baseball games on Monday and Wednesday, usually these games feature good teams.

#78 · (Edited)
I think that TSN answered the question nicely when they announced that they will be adding TSN3 TSN4 TSN5 at no charge to consumers if Service Providers agree to it.
1) More NBA Basketball games in addition to Raptors
2) NFL Sunday, Monday and Thursday Night Football
3) College basketball, hockey and perhaps baseball and hockey.
4) More curling draws - adding 3 channels gives TSN the ability to show multiple games at the same time period. Same is true for NBA games, College sports.
5) Could be showing CIS football and hockey
6) TSN still has regional broadcast rights to NHL Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg for several years.
7) They still have CFL games. I watch a greater percentage of CFL games because it is a shorter season and fewer games (more games that are important) than NHL hockey which seems to go on forever - too many games on TV! Sportsnet paid too much for NHL. Myself and friends are watching fewer hockey games.

Enjoy TSN in the fall. SN will not try and juice the price of their channels when good alternatives are available.

#82 ·
This will be just like in the early 90s, when CBS lost the rights to air NFC football games to fledging Fox. CBS remained in a dark period from then on, and the only sport they aired was the Lillehammer and Nagano games, some College football in '96 and 97, and figure skating tournaments. other than this, all they aired then weekend afternoons was repeats of female-oriented telefilms.

#84 ·
My speculation is that one of the channels will be dedicated to 24 hours sports news, a la SN360 or RDS Info. Also, the regional games will be assigned to one of the channels while the particular channel be blacked out outside of the region. Basically just like SN-E/O/W/P but instead it is TSN1/2/3/4/5.

My speculations may as well be wrong, but if they are I do not know how TSN manage not to get the contents spread thin.

#86 ·
Hercules, no need for a 24 hour sports news station....TSN intent is to Time Shift Sports news East to West like SN Pac to SN Ont. TSN sports news may be broadcast more times during the schedule -especially non prime time.
They can easily fill prime-time on all channels by showing, for example, three US College afternoon football games.

#88 ·
TSN has said that they will retain all their NHL hockey analysts so that shows like Hockey 2 Nite will continue - my go to program for NHL highlights and analysis, as well as their preview shows for NHL season, playoffs, drafts, breaking news etc.

The 30 or 60 minutes of Hockey 2 Nite satisfies my desires for NHL hockey on most nights. I haven't watched a full NHL game in many moons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.