Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

SW21, SW42 SW24 and SW34 Switches

262K views 372 replies 104 participants last post by  57 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The most basic and cheapest installation is using SW21 switches.

It will combine one line from 91 and 82 together. Using 2 dual lnbs which has 2 lines at 91 and 2 lines at 82 will give you 2 lines combined with 2 SW21 switches. This will cover 2 tuners maximum.

This is one of the most common installations with Bell.

#113 ·
6131/9241

I use a 9241/6131 in the city with a SW44 switch. We have a dish setup at the lake and use a 3100. I have a dish at the lake capable of receiving both 91/82 with a single cable coming from each dual lnb.

I took both receivers out to the lake this past weekend and disconnected the 3100, added a SW21 and connected the 6131. I did a check switch and everything checked out OK.

I then disconnected the 6131 and connected the 9241. I went into installation and checked for signal on both 91 and 82 and saw a good signal. Of course, doing a check switch shows that there is no signal for tuner #2 and the check switch comes up with an error.

Question #1: If I want to use the 9241 PVR at the lake and only use the single tuner, will the SW21 work (can I ignore the error)?

Question #2: After installing the SW21, I disconnected the 6131 and connected my 3100 again. I see signal strength on both satellites but I don't have access to the HD channels (800 +). Will this receiver display the HD channels in non HD or do I not see the HD channels (in no HD format) at all with this receiver?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

grover

#115 ·
Thanks Q,

If I have a single feed from each lnb (91/82), is there a switch I can use to output to the 2 tuners in the 9241, or do I have to run a second pair of RG6 from the other side of each lnb and use a different switch. If the answer is yes, which switch do I use?

Thanks,

grover

#119 ·
I'm a Bell TV subscriber and I bought a house in the spring that has a dual LNB Satellite. It has 1 line running from each LNB into an sw21 switch. It's the only line running into the house, which is hooked into my HD receiver in my basement.

I'd like to hook up my second SD receiver. I'm wondering if I can run a line directly from one of the empty LNB ports (82 or 91, whichever one is SD) directly to the receiver or do I need to buy another sw21 switch. Thanks.

#121 ·
Two SW21 or one SW44

Hey People,

I browsed the other threads briefly, but didn't find the information I was specifically looking for. I'm a bit of a noob so forgive me if my question sounds foolish. My question concerns the dual tuner 9242 receiver and those SW-switches. I was wondering if it was necessary to use a SW44 switch with the 9242, or could I simply use two SW21 switches? I'm only going to have the one receiver, so I'd prefer to go the cheaper route and use the SW21s. I'm not quite certain how the power inserter fits into the game either. Does the 9242 detect the switch and the inserter somehow? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

#123 ·
In either case, you must run the "check switch" option in the menu in order for the receiver to scan and recognise that you have a switch (of any type) installed.

As Pinza points out the 2xSW21's will work just fine, however so will the single SW44 (and it really isn't any harder to install. THe cost difference is minimal.

#129 ·
can anyone tell me what the difference is between a multi switch and a SW34 is?
Likely the same thing ("multi-switch" requires a numeric value to distinguish types). An SW34 or a 3x4 multiswitch (sometimes also refered to as a SW24 or 2x4 multiswitch - if it doesn't have off air) take the signal from one satellite (via 2 inputs - 1 for odd and 1 for even) and supply the signal to 4 outputs.

These are also available in a 3x8 version for 8 outputs.

#130 ·
A 3 x 4 multiswitch (SW34) has 3 inputs and feeds 4 outputs. (2 from an LNBF and 1 for Cable or OTA).
A 2 x 4 multiswitch (SW24) has 2 inputs and feeds 4 outputs. (2 from an LNBF).

Same for the SW28 & SW38 (2 x 8 & 3 x 8) switch's.

#131 ·
I have a SW21 switch. 91 plugged into A and 82 plugged into B. My problem is when running a check switch, it only finds one LNB. I have confirmed both LNB's work by plugging them in without the switch.
Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks in advance.

Oh and on my switch...one LNB connector says its 22Khz and the other says 0Khz...the one on the 0Khz side is the one connecting...

#133 ·
Ooooh Sayal burned again for the second time! The first time they gave me a Dysec switch. This switch its labeled a yesat-sw21B...which I thought was the right SW21. Guess not. These guys don't have a return policy...makes me wonder if it was there plan all along! haha ok...time to find the real thing

#135 ·
Remove the Power Inserter and Power Supply.

Remove the SW44.

Then just use 1 line from 91 and 1 line from 82, into the SW21.

Connect the line feeding the 6131 to the SW21 output.

Run a Check Switch on the receiver.

Watch TV.

#138 ·
Hoping someone here can help. I have 2 Bell TV receivers. One is a 4100 the other 3100. I have a SW21 installed with the 4100 and receive TV no problems. I have been trying to get the 3100 to work with a SW21 switch as well but seem to be getting stuck. If I hook the satellite lines directly to the receiver with no switch I get the respective channels for that satellite, so when I hook up the line from sat 91 works fine same with sat 82. But as soon as I try hooking these lines up with the SW21 switch it wont work.

I have ran the check switch option and it wont register the switch installed, I am out of ideas as to what could be causing this issue. Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.

#139 ·
Have you tried the 3100 in the 4100's location.?

Defective SW21.?

Try swapping out the SW21 that you are using on the 4100, see if it works.

Remove input cable on the 3100, run Check Switch, after it fails, put the cable back run it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.