Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Missing Odd (or even) Transponders

Tags
dpp twin
138K views 145 replies 51 participants last post by  jdevlin 
#1 ·
I have 4 cables from my dish to two multi-switches, 8 cables from those two multiswitches into two sw44 switches.

I want to run a 5900, a 9200 and my new 9242. (my 5900 and 9200 worked with one sw44 for years.)

All work, except no sat 82 odd transponder. (good sig strength on 91 and 82) Checkswitch on my HD PVRs shows problem, and on 5900 shows "X" only on 82 odd.

I am sure the connections are all correct. The problem must either be:

a bad cable/connection somewhere - except I have switched cables around etc etc to no avail.

OR

my multiswitches are not suitable. This is where I need help. Are these specs good for my use:

LNB Fre Range: 950-2400 MHz
Ant Fre Range: 5-860 MHz
LNB to RX Loss: -3db
Ant to RX Loss: 3db
LNB V:13/14V DC
LNB H:17/18V DC
LNB V voltage output: 13/14V DC
LNB V voltage output: 17/18V DC
Power Passing: 500dB min

So, does 82 odd transponders run in a frequenxy range not allowed here?

Most SD channels work (not 207,248 etc) and about half of the HD channels.

See less See more
#107 ·
Check for corrosion on cable ends

mikeswcoast2004, start with the LNB, loosening and then snugging up the connections of the cable ends at the LNB maybe all that is required.
If it resolves the issue, then look at preventing future moisture problems.

#109 ·
Late update: Everything is working perfectly (as of this past Monday August 29). An investigation the previous night revealed some rust in the area of the LNBF and the cable running from outside to the 4100. An attempt to fix on Sunday night resulted in me losing my service completely for the night and we waited for the morning and I had a number of spare parts on hand to do the repair job. Once all was said and done, I was finally able to access every channel on my receive without having to be dependent on the 3100 tuned to any specific channels. Also in that repair job, we weatherproofed the whole thing for the winter (using, in Red Green's words, “the Handyman's Secret Weapon”, duct tape).

Later in the week, I bought a spare LNBF exactly identical to the one that's been serving us for a long time (going on 11 years now, we had a different provider prior to Bell), just in case of a future failure. Cost me $15 (originally $30 but was on sale for 50% off).

#110 ·
missing ODD transponders on 82 but not 91?

I seem to be missing transponders on 82 only, 91 is fine. Using a DISH Twin LNB (built in switch)

Does anyone have any possible solutions for me? When I was using only a single LNB they were all coming in fine.

I find it puzzling that it would only affect the 82 Sat and not 91

Any help is appreciated

#113 ·
Check your connectors and splices, look for damaged or chewed cable outside. Start from the receiver. Check the connectors behind wallplates (if applicable) too, if they're older connectors, i've sen them fall off without force. What type of cable are you using? RG6/RG59?

Doubt its a faulty dpp twin lnb.

#114 ·
I'm going to re-run a straight through no splices RG6 to the receiver and see what i get.

So the length, and type of wire could cause me to lose only 1 set of transponders out of 4? ( odds/evens 91 are fine and evens on 82 are fine) i thought i would have issues with all transponders across the board.

#115 ·
I too am having the missing odd transponders. In my daughters room I have just put a 3100. It comes up on check switch with no odd transponders on 91. If I move my 6131 to this spot checkswitch comes out fine. I have disconnected my sw44 and run each line from the 91 lnb to the 3100 and in both cases the odd transponders fail the checkswitch test. Does this mean the 91 lnb is failing?
Thanks

#117 ·
Does this mean the 91 lnb is failing?
No, I doubt it, as the other Receiver did a successful Check Switch. It is looking like the 3100 is the thing that is failing/failed.

@ 46FD04, what difference will the software version make to a loss of ODD Transponders.? I regularly see Receivers with software that is 3 or more years old and they function correctly.?

#120 ·
I know it makes no sense. I have disconnected both leads and ran them direct and same problem in bedroom and downstairs. I can move the 3100 anywhere in the house and same problem but the 6131 can run a good checkswitch. I am at a loss. I will try to get to the dish tomorrow to check connections.

#121 ·
Have you run a "Check Switch" between tests, with NO INPUT cable on the back.?

You might be getting a false reading if the receivers think they are seeing a different switch set-up......

#122 · (Edited)
Pinza, regarding the software version, I have no idea. I have seen this problem before regarding missing transponders on a receiver that is outdated. When the receiver updated to the latest software, the problem was corrected.

To 2Hot,
a model 6131 does not indicate whether or not it is receiving Odd or Even transponders, it just says OK in green.

Using the 6131, run the Check Switch again. Does it say 82 and 91 OK in green?

If yes, check the signal strength on 91 on any transponder. Do you have high signal strength, or medium/low signal strength?

Do you have high signal strength on all 32 transponders? Or is it high on the Evens and Low on the Odd's?

Edit: I may have made an error regarding the 6131, because I am using a DPP Twin LNB with DPP44 switch.
To 2Hot; when you Check Switch your 6131 with a straight line in from the 91 LNB, does it indicate the Odd/Even transponders?
I ask because I noticed last night that my 3100 does not state the Odd/Even transponders either, when using DPP equipment. It used to show this when I used an SW44 switch.

#124 ·
To Pinza, yes I ran check switch between tests same result

To 46fd04, yes the software is upgraded
The 6131 does only show 91 on check switch. After is successfully runs through I have 100% on both even and odd transponders. But following this up with the 3100 and 4100 I borrowed check switch fails on odd transponders still. It will not even let me download the guide so I am assuming that is on one of the missing transponders. Time to climb up and look at dish

#125 ·
Is the SW44 swich indoors or outdoors?

If outside, check the connections to ensure they are clean & dry, without corrosion.

Also, since you're using an SW44, your dish must have two LNB's.

Swap them; place the 91 LNB in the 82 slot, 82 LNB in the 91 slot.

Now, connect the 91 LNB (which is now your old 82 LNB) direct to your 3100 receiver.

Check Switch this LNB and see if the problem is fixed.

If yes, then the other LNB is defective.

#128 ·
I have an interesting situation. I have been reading alot of posts about people who have had various problems. Mine seems to change as the days go by. One day, I will get all the HD channels without any trouble, and then I will try to go to 800, and it says it can't get it. So I switch the channel, and go back, and in comes 800. Same with alot of the SD channels. I ran check switch tests, and depending on the day, I can get reception verified on one, and then not on the other, then on both, and today, none at all. I went and looked at all my transponders on 82, and I could get all the odd, and none of the even. After a check switch, I was getting all the transponders in and almost at 100%. Never had any trouble with 91, getting all of it with that side, so far. What do you guys think?

*just did a check switch test, went to 38, and it says no reception verified at all. Meanwhile, I am getting every channel, and every transponder on 82 and 91 is over 90%, several are at 100%* HELP!

Also, I have tried another switch, and it is doing the same thing. About the only thing that I haven't done is change the power supply, does anyone think that this is the issue? when I looked at the details, I had four problems for every terminal, and I know I connected the wires correctly, and my LNB's seem to be getting signals.

#129 ·
@Belcriss

Is this a new system?

Or is it an existing system that has worked well for a long time that has just started to act up?

I assume you're using an SW44 switch, correct?

If so, you could have various issues to look at;

1. Check all outdoor connections; any corrosion?
2. Are your cables RG6 all the way thru to the receivers? Or are the sat cables conected to existing interior cabling that may be RG59
3. You may have a failing SW44 switch
4. you may have a power supply or a Power Inserter that is starting to fail

Are you using a real Bell dish, or a grey market elliptical dish?

If you are using an older elliptical dish, check the LNB's to see if they have cracked white covers. I've seen a number of these this year (including another one today), and I believe water is getting in the LNB's and ruining them.

Good luck & keep us posted please

#130 ·
It is an existing system that has worked well for six years. I did a major renovation, and I had to move the dish from the side of the house, and put it on a tripod dish that I have for my RV. However, the change to the tripod worked very well, no problems. It was when I went back to the side of the house last week, that all these problems have shown up. I have never had any trouble with this setup till now. I am fairly new to aligning dishes, and all that, but I think I have that part fine. Its with the hardware. I do have two new DPP quads, but I want to figure out what is wrong with the old system, before installing the new one. All my cables are RG6, there is no corrosion, and my dish is a bell dish. The only thing that can be a variable was the switch, but I have tried another that I use with the RV tripod, and its doing the same thing. The only thing that I didn't switch out was the power supply. How in the world can my check switch test say no reception at all, and yet I get every channel, every transponder, and all over 90%?

#131 ·
Try this;
If you have the dish properly aligned on 82 and 91 using the legacy LNB's,
remove them, and disconnect the SW44 switch from the system.

Install a DPP Quad LNB, connect it to your receiver, do another
Check Switch test and see what happens.

Is it possible one of the cables inside the home was damaged during the renovations?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.