Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

56 Up Airing On PBS' POV

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  tvmaster 
#1 ·
Although 56 Up has been out for a while, I have not seen it "on TV" before this. The next programme in the series will be airing on PBS this week. POV is airing it at 1:30AM EDT Tuesday October 15th on KCTS Seattle, as well as October 19th at 5AM EDT. There are likely other airings - search for them depending on your location/provider.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/56up/

In 1964, a group of British 7-year-olds were interviewed about their lives and dreams in a groundbreaking television documentary, Seven Up. Since then, in one of the greatest projects in television history, renowned director Michael Apted has returned to film the same subjects every seven years, tracking their ups and downs. POV, which presented the U.S. broadcast premiere of 49 Up in 2007, returns with 56 Up to find the group settling into middle age and surprisingly upbeat. Through marriage and childbirth, poverty and illness, the "kids" have come to terms with both hope and disappointment. Winner, 2013 George Foster Peabody Award for the ‘Up’ series.
WNED Buffalo appear to be airing it:

October 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM EDT
October 18, 2013 at 2:30 AM EDT

#3 ·
Watched most of it(it's 2.5 hrs long), like I have been the whole series for over 20 years, since at least the "35 Up" installment.
And I have to say that every time I do - I'm completely immersed in the lives of these ordinary folkes. It's a great mix of moving, uplifting and humbling experiences.
Michael Apted does a great job interviewing, not so much directing, his subjects, and you walk away really impressed how much and, at the same time, how little people change throughout their lives.
I think one day this series will be hailed as an amazing exercise in sociology, if not cinematography.
Highly recommended.

#4 ·
One of the most ambitious programs on television that unfortunately never gets much credit. Watching as each person grows up and changes has been as interesting as following the changes in one's own life. I look forward to each installment. Each program is a reflection and record of the times in which it is recorded.

#5 ·
actually, although we tend to see them on television, the films still get theatrical releases first - '56up' was in the theaters in my area not long after its release in 2012.
The series was on Roger Ebert's top ten films of all time...

can't disagree with that - originally a study of the British class-structure, it's still paying off all these years later

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.