Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2013 Panasonic plasmas

65K views 168 replies 44 participants last post by  milehigh 
#1 ·
Looks like this years class of panasonic plasmas is hitting store shelves, anyone looking at picking one up soon, personally I'm going to upgrade from a 42g25 to a 55vt60.

#169 ·
Yes it should work fine. My media server/file backup is my main PC. I run XBMC and have enabled the DLNA server. The TV sees it right away. Although there is no app for the TV to talk to the XBMC, you still can navigate through a series of virtual directories to get at the media. So my TV can see movies by folders that sort movies by letter, etc.

It's actually a decent solution because you are using the TV's native code to play back the raw media files that you can navigate to by using the "skelelton" set up by XBMC on the PC. There is a Plex app for the TV, but then the movie playback is not using the native code on the TV, and you are transcoding through a Plex layer and it sucks.

So as long as your NAS can run a DLNA server, the TV should be able to get at your files - using a mouse and navigating virtual directories assuming that you are not running a thin-client app on the TV. It's awesome!

I find a movie on my PC using the beautiful and lighting fast XMBC GUI, and then I just search on the file or navigate to the file on my TV. I usually play the movie that exists on the external hard drives directly connected to the TV. However, I can also watch any movie on the PC wirelessly and it works nearly flawlessly. I upgraded my wireless router and got a much more robust wireless connection. Once in a while, if I am stressing the wireless connection/XBMC, the wireless router crashed and I have to get Windows 7 to reset the router. So it's not perfect but it is still pretty awesome overall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.