Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Component Signal Splitting

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  I_Want_My_HDTV 
#1 ·
I have a bit of a general question.

I have my HTPC and Sat box connected to my receiver via component video. I have been sending my signal to a Panasonic 900 projector with a 30' run of cable with no problems.

I put a 50" plasma display behind the projector screen for regular TV and other things and wanted to split the component output from my receiver to both displays.

I purchased a passive splitter and used it on the component out of the receiver. When doing this, my signal from my Sat box splits with no problems. The signal from the HTPC does not. I get a signal on the plasma, but the projector is black. It's usual "no input," screen is blue.

If I unplug the "Y" connector from the plasma lead AT the splitter, the projector comes to life.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to why the signal splits fine from the Sat signal off the receiver, but not the HTPC signal off the receiver?

Would a powered distribution amplifier solve this problem?

Thanks,

Tom

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes it sounds like the signal level is too low coming out of th HTPC assuming that your receiver is passing through properly. Likely the projector is detecting the signal presence, but the level is too low to generate an image. Using a passive splitter will also generate signal reflections. This might explain why you are then getting signal through to the projector when you unplug the cable leading to the plasma at the splitter, as the reflected signal path is significantly shorter.

There are powered distribution amplifiers/splitters available and some have adjustable gain.
http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=in3254&subtype=32

#3 ·
Due to cost, you might be better off with a switch. Some people use composite video switches but I would be tempted to look for one that handles a remote control. Component video is kind of like cable TV. It needs to be 75 ohm (impedance matched) and improper slitting or the wrong type of cable can cause problems. (Though a CATV splitter cannot be used due to different frequencies.)

Another option might be to use DVI/HDMI for the plasma so that the component does not need to be split.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.