Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Will your phone work on Telus/Bell's HSPA network?

200K views 131 replies 42 participants last post by  alebowgm 
#1 ·
With the launch of Telus & Bell's new HSPA network, there seems to be quite a few questions on whether a particular phone will work or not.

In order for your unlocked phone to work on Telus & Bell's new network, the phone must have the following frequency support:

UMTS/HSPA 850MHz and/or 1900MHz

Ideally your phone should support both frequencies to get the best coverage.

Bell & Telus do not have the GSM/EDGE network to fall back on like Rogers/Fido do, and they do not support HSPA on the 2100MHz frequency. That means if you cannot get an HSPA (3G) signal, you will have no service on these phones.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

(To the mods: Perhaps this might be a good topic to put a Sticky on - at least until the confusion dies down)

#3 ·
Theoretically, the Bell/Telus HSPA+ network has as much or more coverage as Rogers, but not necessarily in all the same places. Most of Sask/Manitoba and some Northern Ontario areas are no coverage, along with lower speed data in areas around Ottawa. However, the new network does appear to be in need of some tuning.

#6 ·
Does that mean it is not advisable to use an unlocked Rogers/Fido phone on Bell network, as I would imagine their HSPA coverage area cannot be as extensive as Roger's GSM + HSPA coverage?
Bell and Telus have a larger CDMA network than rogers' GSM network, and the vast majority of Bell and Telus' networks are covered by HSPA+. There will be some people (like me) that will frequent areas that do not have HSPA coverage and will stick with CDMA, while the majority of Bell and Telus' customers can switch to HSPA and will never have coverage issues.

Bottom line is that Bell and Telus' HSPA coverage can easily be considered as good as rogers' GSM + HSPA coverage, some areas will be better and some worse.

#8 ·
Snagged this image from another forum (with permission). Clarifies what I indicated before, though in a much easier to understand format. (thanks jpaik for the suggestion).

As long as the phone you are looking for has a frequency listed in green and is unlocked, you're good to go

#9 ·
Overall, Bell/Telus' HSPA network has far more coverage than Rogers 3G, but they did neglect Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Northern Ontario.

In Newfoundland, it's excellent. Virtually the entire island (at least areas where people actually live) are covered with HSPA+ whereas Rogers only has HSPA in St. John's and EDGE around the St John's metro area and in Clarenville. Belus is much better around the Maritimes in general.

#10 ·
Thanks for the network information

I am looking a replacement for my HTC Touch Pro, and was hoping for the HD2.

So far Telus doesn't have it and there aren't a lot of options for an unlocked HD2's, Telstra (Australia) appearently has it on the 850MHz frequency but without 1900 MHz support...

So I wait...:(

#11 ·
Unlocked, but what about the PIN on a BB

Using the TELUS website, I have confirmed that a Blackberry Bold 9000 WILL work on the new network, (ebay seller sent me the IMIE # to check) but if it's previously used, but unlocked, so new 3G sim can be installed, can it still be set to work with BIS?
What's this I hear about the PIN being associated with the original carrier?

Should I be looking for a NEW never used, unlocked BB 9000 or 9700 then?

#12 ·
I can't see an issue, as long as the original seller has had their provider release the PIN (should generally happen when the phone is deactivated). Otherwise, what would be the point of getting a used BlackBerry unlocked in the first place?

Although, there is one caveat - if the phone is reported stolen, some carriers will block the PIN (even ones like Bell who usually don't do IMEI blocking). If that happens, there really isn't much you can do.

#13 ·
I'm currently with Telus with a basic CDMA phone and was shopping the internet for a cheap 3G that has wiifi so I don't have to enter into a more expensive contract. The telus rep told me that I have to get a phone that is 3g+ compatible and that 3g alone without the + will not work. Anybody able to offer some insight?:confused:

#14 ·
The big issue is that Telus & Bell have been saying that they've had a "3G" network for quite some time (with their CDMA handsets that use EV-DO Rev. A for data connections). Now that they are using HSPA on the new network, it is leading to some confusion if they just label it "3G" as it really is.

Bottom line though: If the phone supports HSPA/UMTS/WCDMA frequencies of 850MHz and 1900MHz you are good to go. Of course, a Telus rep would want you to buy the phone from them as that's where they make a commission (handsets and long-term contract renewals).

#15 ·
And make sure it is UNLOCKED.
I picked up a gently used ROGERS Blackberry Bold 9000 (Telus only sells the Bold II 9700) but the specs are as BGY11 quoted above, so after an inexpensive eBay unlock code, slipped in the TELUS SIM card from the Nokia E71 I had purchased for HSPA and after a quick authorization call to get the data plan for Blackberry, working like a charm.

Just because they use a SIM card for the 3G+ HSPA network, doesn't mean that all GSM phones will work.

BUT is seems like the HSPA phones will work on a GSM network.

So you can roam globally onto GSM depending on agreements, but GSM subs coming to Canada will likely roam onto Rogers Network.

Some T-Mobile phones are on different bands and some from other countries as well.

Think of HSPA as a SUPERSET of GSM.

Also if you are planning on a lot of DATA and Hi Speed is on the wish list, double check the phones data speeds.

The network itself is rated to around 21 or 22 MBs, but many of the current phones top at at 3 to 7.

Maybe the very latest will reach top network speeds.

#16 ·
Well put Moose57! Unlocked is a must. All HSPA phones will fall back on GSM/EDGE if required, provided the carrier offers support for it (which Bell & Telus don't).

On a random note, it looks like Bell has a roaming agreement with AT&T in the States for HSPA devices. Sadly my Omnia II did not like AT&T at all (several call drops/garbled calls even in an area with supposedly good signal).

#18 ·
Not all the HSPA phones have Wi-Fi, but a good number of the smartphones do have it.

As for frequency support, having both frequencies is preferred. If it only supports one or the other frequency, coverage will be limited. There is no specific map to show which towers are using 850MHz and which ones are using 1900MHz.

#20 ·
That phone will not work on Telus or Bell since neither provider has GSM service - they use HSPA, which that phone does not support.

It should work on Rogers though if the phone is unlocked, since Rogers does have a GSM network using some of the supported frequencies.

#23 ·
That would be why then.

As for Data, ya! Big Time
GSM data rates are around 10-15 Kbps
EDGE will do 400K to 1M
The new HSPA has been tested up to 21 Mbps. (Category 14)
HSPA can potentially do up to 85M

Check the phone spec as they are often in the 3-7 Mbps unless it's a very latest model or some internet stick.

Is the E77 basked on the Nokia E series?
I had a E71 from Telus, dumped it for a Blackberry Bold 9000 from Rogers (it supports HDPA as well as GSM) unlocked it, put in my Telus SIM and runs like a dream. Has WiFi as well.

TELUS only sells the BB Bold II 9700 for HSPA and some others like iPhone and E71 and some nice HTC's.

You really want HSPA with GSM backward compatibility and unlocked for traveling.

#24 ·
Great information - Thank you!

Too bad it's just a GSM phone and the data rates will be limited. That's what I get for buying a knock-off in China :)

I don't know what it's modelled after inside.

I went to a Rogers store, put a GSM card inside and was able to make voice calls. I wasn't able to get data working but then my phone may require additional set-up. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Keith

#25 ·
You would also need to subscribe to a DATA plan as well.
They are different depending upon the phone protocols.

So a iPhone plan is different than a Blackberry plan and probably a Windows Mobile plan.
I suspect pricing is the same, but they are set up differently.

Eg: my Telus HSPA Nokia E71 plan was transferred to a Blackberry, same price, but the way they handle email and data is different.

As for China, I get almost weekly mail from China with ebay technology purchases and as long as you shop carefully and know what you are getting, then usually not a problem.
Eg: computer 120MM case fans that our local computer shop sells for $20, I get for $2+shipping or about $7.
Sure I have to wait a couple of weeks, so I stock up in advance.
With the amount of PC's around here (12+), I don't mind keeping a case of fans on hand.

#28 ·
htc touch hd

ok ive been with telus for quite awhile now and recently i broke my phone.. i went to the store and got a sim card its my first time getting one with telus..
i got the htxch touch hd from a friend unlocked and everything but i cant get any signal or network wuts the problem?? can some1 pls help...
the reps at the store said its either your phone or its not unlockied i dont think they knew what they were talkin about

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.