Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

PS3 Hard Drive Upgrade - Anyone done it yet?

61K views 92 replies 44 participants last post by  digin 
#1 ·
I was just reading this PS3 Hard Drive Upsize article and was wondering if anyone had done it?

I have a 20GB PS3 and was thinking of performing an upgrade this year

#2 ·
i'm in the same boat, with a 20gig ps3. starting to store some photos & video from a avchd camcorder and it needs some more space..

i do have a 160gig 2.5" sata drive that i just use in an external case for day to day use. maybe i'll wipe it and give it a try.

out of curiousity.. i guess the main OS isnt stored on the hdd ?

#5 ·
My take from reading the "tech" sites is that it is quite easy, however, I would like to actually hear from folks that have done it.

#6 ·
I did it about 2 months ago. Upgraded my 20 GB to a 60 GB with a drive I pulled from my Home theatre Mac Mini (which I was upgrading to a 120GB). Took me about 5 minutes to swap the drives. I knew this part would be easy. I was most concerned with the data (game saves and all).

The utility inlcluded in the PS3 OS made this a breeze. It took about 20-25 minutes to back up my data to an external USB drive, and another 20 or so to pull it back after the swap. Everything was in its right place. The backup utility lumps everything in a single file or archive on the external drive, and even gives you the option to delete from the ext. HD after the restore.

I would not hesitate to recommend this to just about anyone (except my in-laws ;) ). Very easy.

#7 ·
Thanks PokerChip. I assume the formatting of the drive was one of the longest parts of the swap.

#10 ·
Norman the following is your post (sans the retail pricing stuff) and is the reason I started this thread.

Off topic, but I upgraded my PS3 using the 2.5" SATA drive taken out of the Western Digital 250 GB WD Passport portable drive

* WD2500BEVS with 8MB cache
* WD2500BEAS with 2MB cache

Unfortunately, you cannot tell what drive is used without plugging it in (via USB while still in the enclosure) and using a Western Digital diagnostics utility. I got the 2MB cache drive, but I don't notice any difference from the original 60GB drive.
Your post was unclear. When you said that you didn't notice a difference, where you talking about performance or something else?

Also are those drives 5400 rpm or 7200?

#12 ·
When you said that you didn't notice a difference, where you talking about performance or something else?

Also are those drives 5400 rpm or 7200?
From the seat of my pants, going from the standard 60GB, 8MB cache drive to the 250GB, 2MB cache drive, I did not notice a performance difference in loading saved games and the startup of downloaded games (like High Velocity Bowling).

The article WestCDA linked to indicates that the 20GB PS3 drive has a 2MB cache.

However, I did not take any benchmarks - I would not be surprised if 8MB of cache had measurable performance benefits over 2MB. The Passport drives are 5400rpm.

#13 ·
Yes, it's very easy to do. It's really no different than swapping out a HDD on a PC, I mean the PS3 is a PC.

I was warned to use only 5400 RPM HDDs forthe PS3 but I have also seen people with 7200's so it's probably not a big deal. 5400's are cheaper anyway :p

#15 ·
Without getting into a pricing discussion (please leave that to the shopping forums) but I guess it depends on where the sweet spot is in terms of pricing and if you really think you'll need that extra 90 GIGS!. I'm thinking the 120GB will be more than ample for me so why spend the extra bucks.

#16 ·
I guess what I'm wondering is how much have the demo and trailer hoarders filled up their PS3 drives? I copied a few gigs of mp3s, but have no use to copy movies from my PC to the console. But I'm the type that likes downloading everything and keep them to show off to friends. How much have people filled up on their drives?

#20 ·
I'll repeat my previous post

My take from reading the "tech" sites is that it is quite easy, however, I would like to actually hear from folks that have done it.

#21 ·
I filled up the 40g within 2 weeks with demos and pics and music so I am at 160gb now and I had considered 250gb ( and up ) but I chose to stay with 160 because that's really all I would need.

On top of it, transferring files into the PS3 is not exactly lightning fast anyway. I only keep some music and vacation pics on the PS3 and everything else stays on my PC

#22 ·
Friend of mine has done it, and it was pretty much smooth. I personally don't see what the difference is from hearing whether ppl on this board has done it is any different from those who has written a FAQ on how to do it, or from others who has also done this upgrade from other boards.

The design of this console is to allow you to easily change the HDD for expandability.

#28 ·
Okay, so I bought today a 160GB Western Digital. 5400rpm, 8mb. It's the WD1600BEVS. $90 and it came with a 2.5" external enclosure. This way I can do something with the 40GB when I take it out.

I'm wondering. I know that before you flip the drives, you need to run the backup software. But that means you need to introduce a third storage medium. ie. another external drive.

Is this correct, or is there a way to do it with just the 40Gb inside the PS3 and the new 160GB drive?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.