Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Telus on demand

14K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Wiremonkey 
#1 ·
I tried the new on demand movie @ channel 1000. I'm connected with HDMI to a Sony KDS 50A2000. I kept getting a prompt 'unsupported signal. Check your device output'. After talking to tech @ telus it was suggested I try component out of the pvr. I can now access the movie on component out and once I have picture I can switch to HDMI. The story I got from tech @ telus was that there is so much encryption on the on demand movie that HDMI can't handle it. Any insights into this?
Cheers

#2 ·
Sounds like Hogwash to me. The HDMI carries signal from the STB to the TV, this should nt be encrypted, that is handled within the STB, surely......

#3 ·
HDMI isn't officially supported with Telus Optik.

That being said, most people using HDMI don't have any issues, but if you have any issues crop up, then you're on your own.

The "encryption" method is HDCP. Both the TV and the digital device need to exchange a digital handshake.

I really hope the next AV connection method doesn't have any HDCP associated with it

#4 ·
As the OP is not using Optik I do not understand your reply.

Also I am not going to dispute the HDCP, as I am not sure but if it is really an 'encryption', how come you can go from HDMI Out to a Haupage HD PVR and record in full HD.?

#7 ·
You are quite right, the Hauppage is only a 1080i, Component Input, sorry about that.

There are HDMI Inputs on some high end Video cards, as for recording the VOD, no idea, I will not be buying one so i will not be the person to answer that question.....lol

#8 ·
I tried it out over the weekend on Iron Man 2. Pic quality was great (downgraded to 1080 i as I do not have 1080p). Tried to record it to the pvr and got a message saying that on demand movies were not able to record. I did notice that I had 48 hours to watch the movie, skip ahead, pause and rewind worked great. I could also stop the movie and when I went back to it later I was able to start from the point I left off or restart.

Only thing I have a concern with is the non-recording thing. I could get a movie on pay for view same price and record it and watch it as many times as I want at anytime, whereas with VOD I do get to start to watch the movie when I want to, but it rented for a time duration. A trade off for sure, but I think something that I will use again.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Do you have HDMI between your HDPVR and TV? That was my issue. Using component worked fine and once the movie started I could switch to my HDMI input with no problem. The weird thing is they are offering a 1080P movie yet the output of the HDPPVR is 1080i. I talked to 3 different people @ tech support and got 3 different answers, none of them satisfactory.

#10 ·
Whe viewing a VOD Movie, the 9241 will output 1080p. There are NO settings on the receiver to set to 1080p as this is NOT available for 'normal' reception.

Also, please do not use the "Quote previous post" when posting directly beneath the post you are answering, or comenting on, it is not required.

#13 ·
No providers currently offer 1080P. You can get 1080P over the air by antenna if you're within range of the station, but the bandwidth required for 1080P means it will be years if ever before you are likely to see 1080P broadcasted by TV providers, TELUS or whoever else you can name.

To answer the VOD question, TELUS VOD can't be recorded by the TELUS pvr (Cisco CIS430) because the STBs firmware won't allow it. You may be able to record it on an outboard recording device (I've never bothered trying), but most likely not if you are using an HDMI cable. HDMI cables are an integral part of digital copyprotection. Try connecting the outboard device using a component cable and an optical (for the audio). If that works, go ahead and try the HDMI.

The reason you can't record TELUS VOD on their PVR is due to licensing conditions of the material, you have viewing rights but NOT distribution rights. By preventing your ability to record TELUS is doing their 'due diligence' to their providers (the owners of the VOD contents copyrights) to ensure you don't re-distribute their VOD content.

#14 ·
No providers currently offer 1080P
Sorry to burst your bubble but both Telus and Bell TV offer full 1080p VOD from their HD PVR's.

TELUS pvr (Cisco CIS430)
This is the Telus Satellite thread, the receiver being discussed is the 9241, the exact same one used by Bell TV.

#16 · (Edited)
Sorry to burst your bubble but both Telus and Bell TV offer full 1080p VOD from their HD PVR's.

This is the Telus Satellite thread, the receiver being discussed is the 9241, the exact same one used by Bell TV.
Please don't quote me out of context. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, I was referring to TV broadcasts not VOD content.

To my knowledge no provider currently gives its customers access to 1080p signals for HD TV broadcasts, either compressed or uncompressed. I certainly can't see it happening with Optik unless new 'lossless' compression methods become available, and while that is quite likely around the corner, its not here yet. For TELUS the bandwidth required for 1080p on Optik using MPEG4 compression would be too great. Maybe if we were all fiber fed, all the way to our homes, but ATM not enough TELUS customers are to make this possible.

Anyone with info to the contrary? I would appreciate links.

Quite right though this isn't the Optik thread

#15 ·
a couple of things to clarify....

1.telus and Bell vod does support 1080p output from the 9241. you must be using hdmi, and the VOD event must be encoded as a 1080p title (you can see this in the info about the program) from what we have been told your tv will auto detect the oputput of a 1080p title and display as such.

2. as for the error this is currently being looked into by both companies through echostar who makes the STB software. you can try a component connection, as well as turning off HDMI-CEC controls or equivalent to address the issue. if that fails you will have to wait for the issue to be resolved ...\

#17 ·
Your original statement;

No providers currently offer 1080P.
Was and still is incorrect, regardless of the context.

That was what I was correcting and then explaining.

You then go on to say
You can get 1080P over the air by antenna if you're within range of the station
Well yes of course and you can, you can also get 1080p from a Sat provider, if they allocate sufficient bandwidth for it, same goes for Cable or Fibre providers.

No one transmits 1080p terrestrially, at the moment, as far as I know and only Bell transmit 1080p via Sat directly to the HD PVR's Hard Drive at the moment, unless you know differently.

#18 ·
@Wiremonkey

Umm this is Telus Sat we're talking about here isn't it? AKA which is from Bell, Not Optik. IPTV and Sat are two different things.
The Telus PVR Cisco 430 is IPTV. So my question is? Why are you talking about Optik Pvr in Telus Sat forms?

Pinza is correct, As far I know Telus Sat/Bell and does not Direct TV also now too also offer "Vod"1080p Movies?

Yes currently for live broadcast tv it is only max of 1080i. But VOD from Bell (& Telus sat) /DirectTV and I thought there was one more? Oh FreeHD Canada was suppose have 1080p support too. If they ever launch/start up.

Does Starchoice have VOD 1080p? (er ShawDirect? )

Optik can hardly do HD now, it is why I am switching to Telus sat,
a) Poor HD/SD quality
b) poor Sound quality/issue and there no 5.1 DD info.

#19 ·
This thread is nearly 8 months old. Check the date and try to let it go.

I know you’ve had issues with your Optik (and or TELUS) and that’s regrettable. Don't presuppose that everyone has had the same experience that you have.

FWIW, I've taken the DD 5.1 notification in the guide issue to those who care and have been informed it’s on its way.

- another TELUS tech

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.