Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HDNet Concert Discussion - vote for your favourite

7K views 48 replies 35 participants last post by  crazycanuck 
#1 ·
On HDNet tonight (Sunday) there is a Styx concert at 9 EST.

Quote from HDNet:
9:00 PM ET 6:00 PM PT
One with Everything - Styx & The Contemporary Youth Orchestra of Cleveland - Premiere
For one magical night in May 2006, Styx, veterans of nearly 35 years of performing, joined forces with Cleveland's Contemporary Youth Orchestra, a 171-piece orchestra and choir composed of students aged 13-19, to perform a range of selections from the Styx catalog. Fans are treated to a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hear classic Styx rockers with an orchestral twist.

#7 ·
I don't know if all the providers carry the same programming but if so, perhaps a thread regarding upcoming HDNet concerts could be started. I am a music junkie and have been watching concerts I otherwise wouldn't see. I particularly enjoyed the segments from Bonnaroo and also the Gorilliaz concert.

#8 ·
Chris Botti

HDnet had Chris Botti Live a few days ago.
Same as his "Chris Botti - Live: With Orchestra And Special Guests DVD/CD) , but in true HD and 5.1.
Good show with multiple impressive guests(Sting, Gladys Knight, Paula Cole,
Jill Scott, Renee Olstead and... Burt Bacharach).

#10 ·
i watched some of the "V festival" the other day...

kaiser chiefs, franz ferdinand, scissor sisters, oasis, chemical brothers, the prodigy....

it was nice to see some good indie rock stuff that i'm really into, and in HD at that.

the chemical brothers, they played 3 songs by them and it was EXACTLY the same set and mixing as the set i saw them a year ago at Coachella festival.

#16 ·
Gowan replaced Dennis DeYoung (who was the creator of many of the big hits).

I was a big Styx fan in the 70's but not so much in the 80's and then they dropped off the radar. Wiki has a good recap of the history - it was actually Tommy Shaw who left first and then they broke up several times but now Dennis DeYoung plays as "Dennis DeYoung And The Music Of Styx." where as Tommy Shaw and James Young own the rights to Styx.

I saw this show and what I really liked was the enthusiasm shown by the Orchestra especially those girls up front in the string section. I wished there were more close up shots of them as I found myself watching them when they were on the edge of the screen.

#17 ·
Lawrence Gowan had a band called Rhinegold in the early days. He then became a solo artist - Gowan. I went to a few of his concerts while I lived in Calgary in the mid 80's. They were good concerts in small venues. He won a number of awards and had a couple of good albums (for those who like his style)

He toured with a number of groups in the 90's.

He joined Styx in 1999.

#19 ·
I caught the Sheryl Crow concert and it looked awesome and sounded awesome. The opening song "Steve McQueen" with the video in the background and her retro outfit looked awesome .

What: The HDNet Concert Series presents "Sheryl Crow: C'Mon America 2003." Shot outdoors in spectacular 1080i high definition, Crow performs for more than 5,000 fans in Dayton, Ohio. Crow plays her classics including "All I Wanna Do," "My Favorite Mistake," "Leaving Las Vegas," "Soak Up the Sun," and "Steve McQueen," among others.

Anyone else catch this one?

#21 ·
The Knack, caught that last week on HD Net, They were really good, picture was good too, also seen Hootie and the Blowfish, that was equally as good.

#23 ·
25 Years of Pop-TrevorHorn(Seal,Yes,PetShopBoys,FrankieGoesTH,ABC,GraceJones )

Scary concidence, but just days after I voted for it - one of the best recent
concerts(IMHO) in HD was shown last night on HDNet. It was the "25 years of Pop" tribute to the producer extraordinaire Trevor Horn with some of the best performers of the 1980's and 1990's, shot live in 2005 at the Wimbledon Arena.
Get this:
- Buggles "Video Killed the Radio Star"(the only song sanf by Horn himself
- Grace Jones "Slave to the Rhythm"
- ABC "Poison Arrow" and another song
- Yes "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and one more
- Tatu
- Pet Shop Boys
- Seal
and....
- Frankie Goes to Hollywood (sans Holly Johnson, alas) with "Relax"
Great music, great sound, excellent visuals.
If you enjoyed this music during the 80's and '90's - you'll love this gig!
Great stuff!

#26 ·
The "Velvet Revolver" and "Collective Soul" concerts that they've played over the last 2 days were great, too. A little bit out of date but glad they are replaying them for those of us in Canada who just got the channel. The Collective Soul one was particularly good... I believe they played with the Seattle Youth Orchestra and sounded great.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Dobbie Brothers Concert on HDNet!

Did anyone catch the "The Doobie Brothers Live at Wolf Trap" last evening on HDNet?

I just watched the concert on my HD PVR ... outstanding Picture and Sound Quality! And the surround sound really put the viewer in the audience.

Just before that I had watched "James Blunt Live from the Seminole Hard Rock" on PBS. What a difference in quality! WOW! I used to think PBS set the standard ... but no more HDNet most definitely sets the standard for Live Concerts! They are in a league by themselves!

Thank you HDNet ... I am so happy they are now available here in Canada!

Great concert ... the Doobie Brothers have never sounded better!

#28 ·
I agree ! I watched it when it aired on New Year's Eve and found the PQ to be about the best that I have seen in any concert so far. Thoroughly enjoyed it as well !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.