Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rumor - Hulu to require proof of cable subscription

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ScaryBob 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I see all video services eventually being tied to revenue streams in one way or another. It's been slowly happening but they will all become premium services or will be tied to other cash flow sources, such as BDU subscriptions. Even premium services may charge extra to view programming without advertising. I expect the big crunch will occur when main stream DVD rental services totally disappear. It now costs $10-$20 to rent a year old TV season or $50-$60 to purchase. Will the same prices for streaming the same material be far behind? I think not. First run viewing may cost even more.

#3 ·
It's strange because Hulu Plus is a premium service and they show commercials. I'm interested to see where all this goes over the next few years. There is so much fragmentation, and so many regional restrictions and timing restrictions, etc., that it is really just too much to keep on top of.

I want to have a bunch of places on the web (or on my device) where I can go and choose from the same selection of media -- all the stuff I want in a number of different places (ie. competition). I've already given up on that dream, however. Well, the "legal" version of that dream, anyways.

Hopefully if this Hulu business actually does happen Criterion will find a new streaming partner. They are by far the primary reason that Hulu is interesting to me.

#4 ·
TechCrunch updated the article based on their own source close to Hulu:
Even though an authentication requirement isn’t likely to happen right away, though, our source notes that what could happen relatively soon is that the content providers could require longer delays before their shows become available on the service for non-subscribers. Cable subscribers, under this model, would get access to a show on Hulu the next day, while non-subscribers would have to wait at least 30 days. This model would likely also apply to Hulu Plus subscribers.

#6 ·
That's a scary site. 100% cheap reality shows. :eek:

Internet TV will probably grow to reflect the rest of the TV and movie industry. There will be tiers at fist run, second run and syndicated levels. There will be premium, pay and free services. There will be ad supported and purely subscriber supported services. Programming will be available for purchase, short term viewing or single viewing purposes. All that is changing is the delivery method. Like any emerging technology, there will be bargains and free trials at first to introduce the technology or gain customers and then fees will increase to raise more revenue.

#7 ·
I went online to FOX the other day and in order to watch the two latest episodes I had to input my subscription info.

If you have an account with a participating TV provider you can be among the first to watch the most recently aired episodes on FOX.com. Otherwise, full episodes are available for viewing 8 days after the airdate. This is true wherever full episodes of FOX shows appear online. More TV providers are coming soon

I went to Hulu and they were only available for Hulu Plus subscribers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.