Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell to release a new HD PVR the 9252.

Tags
9252 bell hdpvr
157K views 315 replies 92 participants last post by  Pinza 
#1 ·
I have had this confirmed today after days of speculation and rumours on this and other sites.

I will endeavor to get more details and post them as soon as I can.

#287 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you compare the cost of hooking up one TV the price would be a little more costly for a Shaw unit ($498 for gateway, $178 for one Portal) than the Bell ($498 9241). However if you compare hooking up multiple TVs the Shaw system is much cheaper as you only need to purchase a portal for any additional TVs. I would imagine a 9252 would be at least as much as a 9241.

#288 ·
I'm getting 4 OTA channels using a little indoor antenna (HDTVa).

All I really wanted was a way to watch CBC Winnipeg HD for HNIC and I get 100% signal quality so I'm happy.

I believe if you are a new Bell subscriber the inital output for the 9241 is cheaper...but regardless yes Shaw is much cheaper if you hook up 4-5 TV's like I have...but the cost isn't an issue for me so that's acceptable...

However...the Gateway you speak of is new and up until now people with Shaw have been suffering with a brutal PVR...so there is a time factor to assess as well...when looking at the whole picture.

You have to remember that people have been enjoying the 9242 since 2007.

#290 ·
The 9252 will never come out for Bell, Dish Network has given up on the equivalent 922 receiver and is not releasing any more to its customers. There is no way Bell would pick this up when Dish Network with all its programming ability has given up on getting it to function they way they had hoped it would.

#292 ·
With time shifted networked channels and specialty stations that have lots of repeats, it's fairly easy to get everything on one dual tuner PVR. The FCC doesn't allow time shifted networks in the US so that requires more tuners at times. More than 2 or 3 tuners on a Canadian BDU PVR is pretty much a waste of hardware. The big advantage to "whole home" solutions is that programming can be recorded and managed on one PVR and watched anywhere. The 9252/922 promised that but Dish never did seem to roll out the extra hardware that was required.

#295 ·
Yeah, sorry guys I am now thinking that this is just going to stay in the realm of the few dozen VIP's that have them. No signs of it being released in bulk.

#297 ·
Would it help any if people started to email Bell asking or requesting a hopper (whole home Pvr system)
If there was enough demand for it, wouldn't bell start to look into it more?

Q1: Pinza you said while back that bell had a "Beta" 925x that only a few vip and what had been testing. Now that dish has released the hopper. Are we too assume that " Beta " 925x was just tossed aside or forgotten now?

Q2: If it has been shelf/tossed, do you know if Bell is going to even look at other " options" or perhaps other older restock of dish boxes?, or is there chance they have finally started to look at hopper? The Hopper has been out for awhile now and I hope bell is starting to hear about it more (We can all only hope)

If not I still suggest we kidnap Bell higher up and get him/her to watch Dish Hopper you tube video :p

#298 ·
Bell is most likely looking at using IPTV for future solutions and not planning on putting a lot of money into satellite. Unlike Dish, Bell does not need to compete with telcos and cable using satellite service only. Bell's long term strategy is to use twisted pair for everything, including TV. Bell is well ahead of Shaw Direct in equipment quality and satellite TV market share so they don't need to roll out anything just yet. Bell would rather switch urban customers to IPTV that sell them new satellite equipment.

#300 ·
With the current level of sales for the existing Receivers the chances of Bell looking into the future is as close to zero as I can imagine.

Techs right now are starving, the level of work is at an all time low, they are leaving in droves, so if Bell were to somehow decide to launch a Plopper (Bell will give it a catchy name I am sure) there will be no-one to install it, all the best Techs will have moved on.

If you are waiting for this receiver, do not hold your breath.

I still think Bell will launch another Dual Tuner HD PVR capable of 2 Room service but what it will be called (9400/9252) and when it will appear I have no idea.

#301 ·
True

but Teleus does and as far as I know Telus & Bell are partners in (Sat selling) providing and have some type of partnership for Land line use?

My view is(only a guess) since all HD subs that qualiofied for a upgrade got the new PVR or MPEG 4 HD receiver. I'm guesing on this but since BTV will switch HD to MPEG 4, I see the next phase is Etrhnics(so theyt can compete with Rogers & Videtron) and eventually the SD channels. As it stands now SD revceivers are no longer being sold..

Look at Dish if your in the Eastern arc(61,72,77) all receivers are MEPG 4 both SD & HD.

But who knows things can change and with N6 going up shortly and that sat good for at least 12-15 years(assuming nothing goes wrong).

#302 ·
That is really sad, As old as 9241/42 are. If bell just ignores the Sat customers, They will prob loose a lot of customers, and as said, not everybody can get IPTV Or cable in there area, There are many many people that live in rural areas and there only way for tv is via Satellite.

Bell Iptv not available to West. I still would love to see a hopper like version us Canadians, but sounds like we'll never see it..

Yes Telus and Bell are only ones who uses Echostar equipment for Canada.

#303 ·
Never say never but right now I would like to see receivers being installed, regardless of model #'s.

The 9252 is still in use by the VIP's, the bugs are all but gone so as I say, who knows.

Bell just had Echostar create a unique receiver, the 6400, there is nothing else like it south of the border, so they might just surprise us all and launch a Super Plopper, that can take a 3TB drive and stream from You Tube et al.

#305 ·
I am an installer in southern ontario and I recently noticed on our DART (activation tool) the addition of the "9400". I suspect you're right about the entirely new receiver unless they just decided to change the name. As we are still not even allowed to install 6400's unless the customer has purchased them outright, I dont imagine the 9400 will be available any time within the next couple months.... hopefully by the end of the year though.

#306 ·
I don't see Bell TV releasing any dual output PVRs. All the new technology is based on the client/server model, AKA "Hopper", "Whole Home PVR", etc. If the 6400 is a stripped down HD receiver, chances are the 9400 is a stripped down HD PVR, even more basic than the 9241. Like I said, Bell is planning on doing everything with twisted pair and DSL2, where available. Bell satellite was a gigantic money loser for years. It may never turn a profit and Bell seems to be concentrating on cutting costs by marketing cheap receivers and reducing satellite costs (selling all N5 capacity to Dish, for example.) The emphasis seems to be away from satellite and toward IP solutions. It doesn't matter that Bell IPTV doesn't service the west. Neither does Rogers cable but they make plenty of money by not competing directly with Shaw cable. Bell satellite is taking its cue from Shaw, that is make satellite service profitable by cutting costs and steering customers to higher profit services such as land line TV bundled with high speed internet.

#307 ·
@ kibosh1981, yes I am well aware of the 9400 listing on the DART. With Bells' track record, I think it is just a typo. They added the 9400 in error for the 6400.....

Of course it could be a new Dual Tuner HD PVR, you just never know with Bell TV.

#312 ·
So there still has been no news or hints or even rumors of anything in the works?

It's kinda sad everything seems be going IPTV way and yet it still far from even good. Not everybody has access to full high speed internet. Even though of us who do have internet out in rural area, I doubt they get the speed that most of us get in the major citys of Canada. Sat in Canada is so far behind I wish they finally catch up with USA at-lest..

Quick question. Has Mpeg 4 fully finished yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.