Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official 2014 F1 Discussions Thread

31K views 235 replies 32 participants last post by  Wheelman 
#1 · (Edited)
This will be the official 2014 F1 discussion thread.

Here's what we expect for 2014. (updated as required)

Since TSN now has 5 channels, you'll have to check what they're doing since the previous "patterns" will no longer hold.

TSN2, and/or other TSN for Friday Practice (FP2)

TSN2, and/or other TSN for Saturday Qualifying

TSN4, and/or other TSN for the race on Sunday

TSN1-5 sometimes air the the above events "tape"-delayed later in the day - I often record these in case the original goes long or has issues. There may be another tape-delay later in the week.

Websites of interest:

http://tvracer.com/

http://www.formula1.com/default.html

TSN F1 Schedule: http://www.tsn.ca/tv#/

For 2014, F1 will be in HD, same as 2013, 2012. Canada and US GPs may air on CTV/2

2013 Thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=159031

Recording Tips I always add several hours to a race recording, in case of rain delays, etc. If available, I always set the PVR to record the Replay later in the day or week, just in case. Any other live sports events, like qualifying and you need to add time to your recording based on experience and how badly you would miss the end of the programme - for example, I wouldn't care as much about missing the end of practice, but I would miss the end of qualifying, or the race. Qualifying almost always goes slightly longer then the IPG (on Rogers) indicates.

F1: The Inside Line - has been airing weekly on Thursday or Friday on one of the TSNs.

Streaming - we do not allow discussion of illegal streaming sites.

Season starts in Australia March 14th Practice

See less See more
#140 ·
And now the FIA is backtracking on the radio ban. This season, a much shorter list of things will be banned. A larger ban goes into effect next season.

Did they put any thought into this whatsoever before doing it?

edit - Here's the new banned list:

- Driving lines on the circuit.
- Contact with kerbs.
- Car set up parameters for specific corners.
- Comparative or absolute sector time detail of another driver.
- Speeds in corners compared to another driver.
- Gear selection compared with another driver.
- Gear selection in general.
- Braking points.
- Rate of braking compared to another driver.
- Rate of braking or application of brakes in general.
- Car stability under braking.
- Throttle application compared to another driver.
- Throttle application in general.
- Use of DRS compared with another driver.
- Use of any overtake button.
- Driving technique in general.

#141 ·
According to the BBC, the radio ban was all Bernie's idea.

My ShawDirect guide shows Qualifying on TSN2, with endless rounds of SportsDesk on TSN1. The race is scheduled for TSN1. Will this be another last minute switch like previous times?

#143 ·
Shaw Direct....as per usual, TSN2 which was showing FP2 and Qualifying was pixelating and suffering from audio breakup. Interestingly only during the main feed.....nothing during commercial breaks.

Curious if others viewing on other provider's systems, might have noticed this?

#146 ·
How can a driver be given a 5 second Stop & Go penalty and then they add 5 seconds to his time at the end. That is NOT a Stop & Go Penalty, it is a Time Penalty.

Cant the FIA get even the simplest wording correct.?

Also was it me, or were there more Radio transmissions broadcast today than during a normal race? Even though I missed 15 - 20 minutes due to signal loss on Bell TV.

#149 ·
In case he does stop between then and the end of the race. It's not really a stop/go, but rather 5 seconds added to pit stop, or 5 seconds at the end of the race if there is no pit stop.

Frankly, a smart driver (like Alonso did at the start of the race) would immediately give the place back (for track limits) since that is usually less than 5 seconds. I thought Alonso should give back 2 places, but that was a judgement call and I did't bother to revisit the replay.

#150 ·
If it is "not really a stop/go, but rather 5 seconds added to pit stop, or 5 seconds at the end of the race if there is no pit stop", then post it as such on screen.

I did re-visit the replay, several times and think Alonso should have given back the place to Ricciardo.

Not sure it would have changed to outcome much but still.

#152 ·
And, as mentioned before in one of these threads, and also by Coulthard, just have the back markers drop back, instead of driving all the way around. That would take less than a lap. It may have something to do with timing, or laps completed, or something, but surely that could be adjusted.

#154 ·
I'm with you guys that I thought Alonso should have given back both positions to the Red Bull cars. I also agree that it was intelligent of Alonso to only give one place back. That may have influenced the stewards decision.

Coulthard's idea of just moving the lapped cars behind the queue and adjusting their position relative to the leader is a great idea.

#155 ·
The musical chairs game has started, Vettel is out at Red Bull at the end of the season, Kvyat to take his place at Red Bull.

The rumour is that Vettel has already signed with Ferrari, replacing Alonso who's rumoured to be going back to McLaren because Honda loves him :D

With Jean Eric Vergne leaving Toro Rosso and Kvyat going to Red Bull, two empty spots that will most likely be filled with 2 very young drivers, Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz Jnr.

My only hope is that 2015 will be more competitive than 2014.

#156 · (Edited)
I'm more curious about how much Red Bull and Ferrari's power unit improves and how good Honda's power unit will be. Alonso said his problem was with Mclaren(Ron Dennis I assume) not Hamilton so that should be interesting.

I am very surprised at how much Red Bull is struggling right now in qualifying. I wonder if they've opted to use an older power unit instead of using a new one and incurring a 10 place grid penalty. That or all the missed time both drivers have had in the free practice sessions.

#157 ·
The rumours had been circulating for quite some time that Alonso was going back to McLaren and I had a hard time believing that he would go back to Ron. Certainly time for a change from the disappointing time with Ferrari but can the money be better for his last career move? Maybe the challenge and new environment will be more motivating and satisfying.

Ferrari will be in poorer shape if Raikkonen and Vettel are their two drivers. I hate to say it but they are two "has been" world champions.

#158 ·
There are a lot of rumours about Ron Dennis leaving McLaren at the end of the season and replaced by Gerhard Berger, that will make the Alonso move a lot easier.

I wouldn't say Vettel is a has been world champion, he's only 27...I think these are desperate times at Ferrari and they are trying to duplicate a move that they did in the mid 90's when they signed Michael Schumacher when the team was going through rough times as well, I just don't think they have the personnel to do it now.

#159 ·
Was someone asleep at the switch yet again at TSN..... No Audio for the first part of the Podium Interviews, this is just so amateurish TSN.......

Best wishes to Jules Bianchi, taken to Hospital after colliding with a recovery vehicle.

#162 ·
Was someone asleep at the switch yet again at TSN..... No Audio for the first part of the Podium Interviews, this is just so amateurish TSN.......
After the qualifying debacle, when the live feed turned out to be a load of football, I just recorded and watched the 8 a.m .repeats of qualifying and the race. The repeat didn't even show the interviews. Then again, the interviews have not really been worth watching now that they're conducted by various "celebrities" on the podium.

#160 ·
I believe the originating broadcaster was signing off or something IIRC, which was weird, so it took TSN a few seconds to switch audio feeds I guess.

Nigel Mansell was such a prick when he was interviewing, especially Vettel, whom he interrupted (and walked away) even before Vettel could finish his answer.

#161 ·
Thats correct, I believe it was either BBC or Sky TV, the commentators also referenced a replay they were watching along with British Viewers, while we were watching the Work Feed from FOM, I guess.

Nigel might have been a great driver but he is not a good interviewer, it was almost like he had a script and could not deviate from it.

Jules has a serious brain injury, from the feeds I am reading from England, has undergone surgery and is in critical condition.

#164 ·
I had recorded Qualy but never watched it. Just checked and sure enough it was Football.

There would be riots in the streets if this sort of thing happened with Hockey....

I would be more than willing to have F1 races as PPV.

#165 ·
Did anyone see the Bianchi crash happen on video? Bianchi's car was behind the tractor(I didn't realize it was there when the safety car was deployed and the marshall's were waving their hands). It looked like on the other side of the barrier? How did he get there? I couldn't understand at the time what was the hold up with the tractor not pulling Sutil off the track.

They could have gone green at the start of lap 6 instead of the start of lap 10. Kind of getting sick of this. Two laps on wets? Come on! This ticked me off in Malaysia in 2012 as well. Same thing in Canada a few years ago when Button won. They really ought to do away with the wet tires to save some money as Charlie Whiting clearly doesn't want anyone racing on them. :rolleyes:

#166 ·
Not sure any video has surfaced yet. TV coverage did not even mention him until well after he crashed. I was following live with the F1 App on my iPad and saw it report him as STOP I believe, it must have been a full lap before the Commentators mentioned he was 'missing' on track.

If you watch a recording of the Marshalls at the Tractor, you can see them frantically working just to the right of it, pulling pieces of what appear to be bodywork and just tossing them aside.

I can only guess he went between Sutil and the barriers, hitting the Tractor in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.