Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Windows Explorer will only display icons, not thumbnails

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Wayne 
#1 ·
FYI - my OS in Win7 Home Premium. This problem pertains to folders that contian jpeg picture files.

For some reason a little while ago Windows Explorer stopped displaying thumbnails when using the display options of Extra Large Icons, Large Icons and Medium Icons - instead it just displays the Icons. What will happen is that the picture thumbnail will be visible for a brief instant before it is replaced with the thumbnail.

I have tried checking and unchecking the Always show icons, never thumbnails.
I have tried changing the default display program for jpegs. I have tried several options including Windows Photo Viewer, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Picasa Photo Viewer, Paint, etc.
All I get is a brief flash of the picture and then the icon takes over and the icon changes depending on which program is currently the default.

Note that I have no problem actually opening the picture in one of several programs, it is just that I cannot see thumbnails of photos in Windows Explorer - and this is a very good way to just browse your photo collection.

Anyone have a suggestion?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.