Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2

418K views 1K replies 234 participants last post by  RuralRouter 
#1 ·
We have a thread on the owner experiences and several people mentioned they'd like to see an "issues" thread. Here it is.

Please try to limit discussion to "real" issues and possible resolutions, workarounds, etc.

Try not to post "I tried to record and it wouldn't. After a reboot, it recorded OK" since that's pretty self-evident.

#211 ·
WTH! %^$

What happened- ? I just turned on my unit to check recordings, and noticed that NONE of the shows I had set to record tonight had the symbol on the guide. So I checked 'menu' pvr, upcoming recordings--nothing. Gone, evaporated, disappeared between turning off last night and turning on tonight!

I know my cat is smart, but not that smart!

So I have now reset my recording schedule. We shall see.

Any answers?

#213 ·
630 working ok

Have had our 630 just over a week - seems to be working fine so far and is recording the new shows that have started this week.

Only thing I have noticed is when fast forwarding and watching a pre-recorded show (also recording 2 more at same time) the time shown on the bottom of the screen for minutes you have watched the show on the bar graph sometimes bears no relation to the actual point you are in the show. i.e. when I finished watching the 60 minute show, the bar graph showed I had only watched about 40 minutes of the 60 minute show when I had seen the complete show?? Curious if anyone else had similar observations.

Last 2 pre recorded shows I watched the bar graph and minutes was ok.\??

#216 ·
Another “pixilation” issue

I don’t want to bore with another “pixilation” issue but not having recorded more than a few shows during the 1 ½ weeks using the 630, no recording two programs at once while watching another, observing the “air circulation” issue etc. etc. I was surprised with the poor result of my most recent recording.

CBSE 322 Thursday 12:37 to 1:37am Late, Late Show.
Frequent pixilation blotches and dropped frames.
FF at commercial break, 2/3rd into show took me back to beginning
First forward skip sometimes goes in reverse

Earlier in the evening on Thursday I tried tuning to the Weather Network (no background recording), the info banner said "No Data" and it asked me for the parental lock password (I don't have any locks set up)

#217 · (Edited)
Also missing shows

Knowing that I was working an epic OT shift ahead of time (0330-midnight), I set up my pvr for many Wednesday night recordings, all HD. And at many time 2 at same time. My abc shows from 1700-2000 only recoded the 1st half hour, my 2 hours of Cbs shows and Sportsnet Ultimate fighter show did not record AT ALL. Very upset as I came home wanting to watch something prior to collapsing into bed. Was able to catch ultimate fighter last 30minutes live, but really disappointed. Sure the 530 couldn't record 2 at once, but at least it would record 1 show.

I have browsed through this thread and seems that is common? Or did I read too quickly? Any theme to this ie seems to reset when 2 are recorded same time?

Thanks

#219 ·
Sounds like you were playing around with the User Settings. Press Options-4-1 and make sure "Descriptive Video" is turned OFF. Save the settings and you should get your sound back. If not then turn off the 630 and turn it back on.

#220 ·
My interim results of doing a soft reset after creating recordings from Sunday through today! I have been running multiple simultaneous recordings from 5-11.

Success ... I have not missed a recording or a lock up. I have had recordings with the pixilation but I believe that that's another problem. I am never more positive about my hypothesis that the act of running the plan/schedule cause the unit to become unstable.

#222 ·
Tried out the 630 last night and I set the dog whisper to record all episodes on HD only. It recoreded the 6pm episode on the SD channel. I changed it to record on the specific HD channel number so I will see how that works tonight.

I also ran into the hit skip ahead and it skipped back problem. Another small problem was a couple of times I stopped watching something I recorded and the whole screen shrank into the top left quarter of the screen. As soon as I press a key the screen went back to normal size.

Other than these small problems everything has been working great.

#223 ·
There are just too many problems with the 630 for one thread.... reading 222 posts is not something that I'm going to do.

Problem #378
- 630 displays blackscreen during playback of a recording (Survivor -Ep02, CBSEHD). No sound, no picture, just display bar at bottom. You're wondering - what happened to my recording.

Workaround for #378
- got recording to playback by
i) selecting recording,
ii)select 'show program info',
iii)pressing 'play' button from there seems to get program working... continue on as normal.

Problem #380
- 2nd hour of the premiere of NCIS:LA seems to have gone funny after 22minutes in.... pixelated image, can't get it to go past.... just black screen.

Workaround:
- dload episode from bittorrent
- record on the 530

Problem #287 is actually a repeat of problem #134, as they are both very similiar....

#226 ·
so far so good, pretty much - no problems with missed recordings, though I thought it had missed a few until I realized my list was long enough that I had to scroll...

one minor problem: had one experience with pressing the skip button and having the show start from the beginning - sad thing is I almost didn't notice :eek:

#228 ·
I'm not sure what manual recording you guys are talking about for sure, but if it's the one that shows something to the effect of 'manual recording 0' SD 630 Support did address it earlier stating they are aware of it and attempting to fix the problem. He also said (other than being annoying) it doesn't hurt anything.
FWIW, I've had it there too.

Also, outside of an extremely annoying speaker pop I'm now getting when changing channels or FF/RR the 630 itself is working great (knock on wood). So far the only option to get rid of the pop is to change to PCM and lose my 5.1 or buy a new AV receiver (I guess?) - which I would think I wouldn't have to do as my current Harmon Kardon worked fine with my 530.

#230 ·
I encountered an interesting glitch last night while watching Discovery HD, that I haven't seen mentioned yet. At some point while watching the show (no recordings involved), I noticed that the sound & picture had gotten out of sync by close to 2 seconds. Makes it really interesting when you're watching somebody talk and their lips are a couple of seconds behind their speech.

Anyway, the workaround that worked was to hit the Pause button, then immediately the Play button. Presto, back in sync again. If nothing else, that proved that it wasn't an issue from the source, but something in the 630 itself.

I'd imagine changing channels and back may also work. I'll try that next time.

Brad.

#233 ·
It seems everyone is experiencing different performance with their 630s. I have had mine for about 3 weeks now and have recorded a ton of shows(6 hours a day average) any way possible(series, one time, instant, HD, SD, dual recording) with no issues. Watching a recording while it is still recording, or pausing a 'live' program and returning to it both have had no issues. I even shut off the 630 while it is recording and it continues to record fine.

The only issues I have experienced with my 630 is pressing the skip forward button sometimes takes you backwards or all the way to the beginning of the recording.

Would love to have a way to quickly surf thru the channels on a favorite list other than bringing up the guide with your favorite channels in it and selecting a channel on it. You might as well just punch in the channel number if you have to do that.

Seems like there is either a bad batch of 630s or the individuals different setup/configuration/equipment might have something to do with it since we are all running the same version of the firmware.

#237 ·
I have never used LOD before so turning it off might make things simpler. I would rather have a program recording and start watching it before it finishes anyway.

My big issue with the unit continues to be being asked for the password when changing channels. Last night I punched in 318, Speed to watch Barrett-Jackson and I almost locked out the receiver, trying to put in the password in the dark. I don't have any locks enabled. I kinda know when it is going to happen, when I see the info banner with "no data".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.