Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw Cable promotions, programming packages and pricing discussion 2012

Tags
shaw cable
398K views 1K replies 207 participants last post by  magnet 
#1 ·
This thread is to discuss programming and packages available from Shaw Cable in 2012.
This is the thread to post in if you are investigating changing your programming on Shaw or investigating what is available on Shaw.
This thread replaces the previous thread, for 2011.

#2 ·
Quoting etiquette

Please do not quote an entire post. Rather, use only a short excerpt to help put your own message in context.
Additionally, please do not quote the post immediately preceding your own as it makes threads harder to read.
Thanks for your understanding and your co-operation.

#3 ·
Just to be totally clear on my opinion here.

Shaw

Scrap SPP altogether, go back to the drawing board and do the following (all the below should be allowed to be done online without ever picking up a phone)

1) allow me to view my existing subscribed channels in my account online
1a) eventually allow this to be pushed out to the gateway to allow automatic hiding of unsubscribed channels, though I'd accept just having the list so I can do it manually myself initially
2) show all existing packages applied to the account (names, codes etc)
3) indicate which packages (if any) are grandfathered and once removed cannot be re-added
4) allow me to add additional channels
5) allow me to add additional bundles
6) allow me to change my existing bundles and add additional bundles and channels
7) MOST IMPORTANT, after each change above, there should be a live listing showing channels I get and don't get, as a change is made, it should clearly update the live listing, ie green for subscribed, red for not subscribed.

If you can provide the above you'll literally obliterate the competition where self service is concerned. This also affects your bottom line, less need for CSR's spending long times on the phone working with a system that patently needs some serious overhauling. Secondly once people have clear information, they can make decisions faster and start ordering faster and easier, so more money to Shaw and sooner. The above is something my elderly parents could easily work with. When speaking with my StepFather last week, he indicated he's had enough of Shaw and doesn't even want to speak to them anymore, he'd rather live with any problems than try to talk to someone. That also directly affects Shaw's bottom line, people talk to each other, they'll be saying bad things, or worse yet, nothing at all. Relationships sell products and services and currently the relationship Shaw has with many of it's customers, to put it politely sucks. DH is a great site, but few of the majority will ever make it over here. It's up to you Shaw to fix this monster you've created.

Notwithstanding the above, I am more than happy to volunteer to alpha/beta test such a system and give copious amounts of feedback. Heck I'd be happy to regularly meet in person at focus group style events if that was needed.

Let's just get this thing fixed so we can all go back to enjoying our tv viewing

#5 ·
Switched to the Personal TV/Best of HD package yesterday and am pleased to report that I just checked the Sportsnet One Companion channel on 302 to see if the Flames game is on and, sure enough, I'm getting it. So it appears that the companion channel is included in Best of HD, just like the U.S. time shift networks. And, of course, contrary to what we were told by CSRs.

Kudos to Shaw Champ (and others here) for letting us know what's really going on.

#6 ·
I can confirm that 302 is included in Best of HD. In Calgary, at least. Also, US HD East feed (time shift) is also included.

BTW, took me almost 3 hours and two reps (with one call back) to switch from my old plan (Basic cable + grandfathered HD, High-Speed Internet, Digital Phone) to Medium Bundle + Digital Phone. Talk about need to overhaul Shaw's provisioning system :eek:

#8 ·
Hey guys, I signed up for this just a few days ago (the guy mentioned that it was just in time before the new packages came out) and I'm wondering if it's still a good deal. I'll be getting home phone basic, Broadband 50, personal TV + all HD channels, all for 84.90/month. Is this still a good deal or should I re-negotiate?

#11 ·
I just switched us over to the Personal TV + Best of HD packages yesterday and it has been great so far. We get more channels we want (HD channels) and the SD channels we gave up are minor (with one exception for one family member - hopefully they will adjust) for less than we were paying before. I must say Shaw really put together a package that is pretty much bang on for our needs at an attractive price point so thank you Shaw.

Seconding the thanks to ShawChamp and others for announcing it and clarifying the conflicting information that was coming out. Might not have found this on my own for a while.

#14 ·
cheadlebeagle, if you switch to Personal TV, you would have to subscribe to Entertainment 1, $10, for BBC Canada and News, $5, for BBC World.

Maybe sometime in the next few months, Shaw will increase the amount of Pick and Pay channels to help avoid us paying $10 for an entire theme pack when you only want 1 channel out of it.

#15 ·
cheadlebeagle

Don't forget that the world is changing and you don't necessarily need to be held hostage by Shaw anymore.

If you have a smartphone or tablet you can get BBC News for free and it is now possible to get the BBC iplayer in Canada. For much less than it would cost you to get BBC Canada you can get on demand access to thousands of hours of BBC programming including current and archive material.

With a media player you could put all this on your big screen TV.

Of course, if you don't have any of these devices already, the upfront cost is considerable but a very large percentage have smartphones now. Media players are relatively cheap.

The world is rapidly changing and alternatives are becoming available. Shaw will need to change their thinking dramatically if they wish to remain competitive. I don't see a lot of evidence of this.

#16 ·
One reason that the channels are bundled in theme packs is because it allows for much more value (eg. Entertainment 1 has 10 SD/6 HD channels), whereas those channels sold individually would be much more. Also, using theme packs likely is a main reason that the entry price for the Shaw Plan Personalizer is considerably lower than the older plans, and it is now even lower with the introduction of the new bundles.

For example, Basic Cable ($40.95) + High-Speed Internet 7.5 Mbps Download ($42.00) is $82.95/month. Then, with the introduction of the Shaw Plan Personalizer, you could get Personal TV and High-Speed Internet for $74.90/month. Now, with the new Simple bundles, you can get Personal TV and High Speed 10 (10 Mbps Download) for a regular price of $59.90/month.

That is a difference of $23.05/month, and you get a slight increase in your Internet speed. Personal TV and Basic TV do slightly differ, but the price difference is huge. Even though there are fewer channels, you also get a few 'Classic' channels (HGTV, History, Food) with Personal TV.

That is just using Basic + High Speed as an example. I'd definitely recommend checking out the new simple bundles, as they provide much more value than the regular Shaw Plan Personalizer had been offering.

#17 ·
Switched today to Personal TV, Best of HD and HS10, saving ~$25/month. However, they won't activate until 12 January - a tech has to come out to remove filters so I can get more channels.. in the meantime, I have to pay more for less until then! Doesn't make sense. Then again, it's Shaw.

Ron.

#18 ·
@mungar - Bundling channels that you don't watch with the channels you do adds zero value. Some of the theme packs work (like "news" and "family") - they are cheap and include all of the channels in their category. On the other hand, the "entertainment" and "sports" bundles don't work. They are more expensive and the channels I want are spread across a number of theme packs, bundled with channels I don't care about.

How about some build your own theme packs? For example, pick any 7 channels from sports 1 and/or sports 2 for $10, or pick any 10 channels from movies, entertainment 1, entertainment 2 and/or entertainment 3 for $10.

#19 ·
@stanl

Thanks for the advice. I watch BBC World a lot so may pay $5. for that but I will check into the BBC iPlayer. I have just resubscribed to BBC Canada as they seemed to have improved what they are showing.

It would be wonderful if the day ever came that I could just pay $50 or $60 or whatever a month and only have the channels I want!!!

#21 ·
is this possible?

I'm looking over the Shaw literature that I've received here...
Is it truly "personalizing" - other than totally pick and paying all my channels (be still, my heart)?
Like can I get Personal TV + Best of HD, Timeshift and Movies....combined with Internet 20 or BB50....plus phone, and just add 'em up? I have in my literature here something that refers to "Shaw Triple Play Customer Benefits" that says something about a 10 dollar BUNDLE discount every month.
Does that apply to me because I've got TV, Internet and phone....or will I get the big no-no because my personalized package is not a prepackaged "Bundle"?

#22 ·
Best of HD channels list??

I am looking to switch to Shaw. Can someone answer this question please. PersonalTV/BestofHD is available ONLY with Gateway?

and secondly what channels are included in Best of HD? I went to the shaw site but have no idea where I find a "list" of the channels included?

Thank u

#24 ·
Decided to sort out my stuff... this is what I went with which is a savings from what I had before because the phone turns out to be cheaper and the TV is only .95 cents more than I was paying:

Television
Personal TV
Theme Packs:
Best of HD+ $20.00
Premium:
Oasis HD+ $3.95
HDNet+ $3.95
-------------
+ $53.85
==========

Internet
Broadband 50 (50 Mbps)
+ $58.95
==========
Home Phone
Personal Home Phone + VoiceMail
+ $20.95
==========
YOUR PLAN $133.75

I was also advised I don't have to pay for additional outlets (I will have 5 portals) as they are all considered to be on the gateway so it counts as one outlet as it is one network...

***I could not find an option to add Discovery World HD as a Premium Channel, although I believe it is not included with the Best of HD+...

This should do me for now... lol, just want that extra Discovery Channel...

#26 · (Edited)
With pick and play on digital (SD) channels, the price per channel dropped with more being taken. e.g., 1 for 2.95, 2 for 3:95, 7 for 7.95. Does this still apply for the pick and play HD channels (Discovery World, HD Net, Oasis)? Or is each treated as a separate purchase? Right now, as a grandfathered HD Plus customer, I have BBC Canada and Oasis for $3.95, picking up Oasis when BBC Kids was dropped from the lineup.

#27 ·
Filipino channels on Shaw Cable

Happy New Year,

Apparently, Shaw Cable has two Tagalog channels in several areas.

Shaw Cable 509 - The Filipino Channel (TFC) and
Shaw Cable 510 - Filipino TV (FTV)

I subscribe to TFC and watch that on Shaw Cable 509 in Banff.

My wife, who is fluent in Tagalog, enjoys the shows on TFC and staying connected with the happenings in the Philippines.

Now, my question, has anyone in Banff, Canmore, or Calgary been also able to watch Shaw Cable 510 - FTV, the additional Tagalog channel?

My cable box does not display 510 in my PVR guide.
Nevertheless, the Shaw website lists 510 FTV as channel in my area. On the other hand, the Shaw website has no pricing for FTV in its listings of multicultural channels. And I have yet to hear of anyone who is actually watched the channel when I have spoke of it even among some of my friends that also subscribe to TFC.

So, FTV is kind of elusive, for me anyway. Does it exist or not?

Thanks for your info.

Sincerely,
Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.