Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CBC to introduce new Radio and Internet service to London

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  classicsat 
#1 ·
CBC announced today it will introduce new radio and internet services for the London area commencing in fall of 2012.

"We're aiming to offer local service which reflects and connects the urban nature of London, the top local news of the day, arts and culture, and the city's diverse make-up. We look forward to sharing the details with everyone, as our plans are developed between now and our 2012 launch." says Susan Marjetti, CBC Managing Director of Toronto and Ontario Regions.

Details about the new London service will be announced in coming months, Marjetti says.

#5 ·
This is good news but is the CBC only talking about and planning radio services? I wonder what the internet services will be? If it's video, I certainly hope the quality is better than what's available from their current web site.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
London was used as a test market at one time due to demographics. I'm not sure if that is still applicable. If they want to test markets with a lost industrial and financial sector, high business real estate vacancies, high unemployment rates and low wages, I guess that would work now.

I'm guessing the CBC is just trying to appease London and Kitchener residents due to their sudden awareness of the lack of any real CBC services. I am really cynical that this will change anything in the long run. Most Londoners are so used to getting their "local" news and entertainment from distant big city stations that many are as cynical as me about getting any real local media presence. Even the local newspaper is printed in Toronto so why should the CBC be any different?

#9 ·
London currently has a small radio bureau with three reporters. KW has none.
The news on Ontario Morning is produced in London I think.
Eventually they could split off Ontario Mornging and/or Here And Now to London/K-W editions.

Hamilton, for now, is close enough to Toronto to listen to their transmitter. (99.1). Eventually there could be at least a newsroom there.

#11 ·
From a broadcasting perspective, Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington and Hamilton are just part of the GTA.

Frankly a Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington CBC station makes more sense than Hamilton since Hamilton has a number of radio and a television station which report local news.

The population of Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington is probably much larger than Hamilton too.

London is still pretty small but it is relatively isolated so it makes sense. K/W is pretty unique too so it makes sense.

#12 ·
FWIW, the CBC identified six underserved areas and are now working on them so that's a positive sign.

#13 ·
Whenever an article about this bubbles up in The Hamilton Spectator newspaper, they seem to lump Brantford, Hamilton, St. Catharines, and southward as a geographical area "Niagara" and how it is under-served by the CBC. The problem with Hamilton, is, where on the dial to put it, unless new radio technologies are implemented.

Great to see London have some kind of CBC focus. Lets hope it comes to fruition.

Cameron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.