Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Cable rant thread, Leaving Shaw, etc

479K views 2K replies 323 participants last post by  faston 
#1 ·
Our Shaw Customer Service - Good and Bad - Post Comments Here thread has gotten out of hand. Very little Good, lots of rants that are off-topic so a new thread has been created to allow folks to rant about Shaw.

Now, c'mon get it off your chest.

If you have a problem with Shaw, then lets hear about it.

#1,353 ·
It is still doable if it is not pre-wired. If the basement is not developed, it is easy to get cable installed. My study does not have coax service and I want the Shaw modem in my study. The installer drilled a hole on the 2x4 at the basement and got a coax installed on my study wall.

Sometime, Shaw installer runs coax cables from outside. They did that on my rental properties without my permission when my tenant wanted a cable outlet in one of the bedroom.

#1,354 ·
My parents live in a 1950's house that has seen many alterations to the wiring. Their HD boxes wouldn't get a proper signal and they were having internet problems.

Because the existing coax was such a mess, Shaw sent in two techs to re-wire the entire place. Plaster and lathe walls aren't fun to work with and there was no access from underneath. So they did the drops from the attic.

This is one area where Shaw seems to excel. They didn't charge them a penny for the two guys who took about 4 hours to do the job.

#1,355 ·
Yah I'll give Shaw kudo's on that. I used Telus for the decade where shaw was fairly strict on caps. Every time I upgraded service (or install new service) with Telus it was laced with issue. Slow speeds or not working at all. Tech's never wanted to solve the problem. Would blame it on something else and take off. The first time I went back to Shaw the guy installed it and asked me to test it while he was in the apartment to make sure I had the proper speeds and it was working. It was his idea and he didn't leave until he knew it was working. I moved into a house and the poor guy went into my first cramped crawlspace and fed a wire under the house up into my office so I could run the route from the office.

Out of Shaw and Telus, Shaw easily has the best support, tech support, and tech's. I've had nothing but great service from them. The major problem is the price. It's going up an insanely high rate of speed. This is the only reason I went to an independent. Luckily Shaw already wired my house the way I wanted it before I switched :)

#1,356 ·
"Out of Shaw and Telus, Shaw easily has the best support, tech support, and tech's. I've had nothing but great service from them. The major problem is the price. It's going up an insanely high rate of speed."

100% agreed. Shaw support has always been top notch! It's the greed I have issue with!

The fat cats making millions a year while I live off $11,000 per....yet I get nailed with 3 price increases in a year and a half??? Nope. The gauntlet has been dropped! Shame the $11,000 a year doesn't leave much room for easy switching. (Rent+bills average $725/month. The rest for food/life's needs) Damn, I need a job.

#1,357 · (Edited)
I guess it's still up the CRTC when they decide the final wholesale rates. Shaw keeps trying to jack them to prevent independents from offering rates that undercut theirs. I'm not sure the CRTC saw through their recent tactic. One they establish wholesale rates it's hard to get the CRTC to change them. Shaw increased the speeds on all packages by 5mbps so they counted as new packages and thus they set brand new rates. Sp far the CRTC set the interim rates about $20 higher than they were. I'm really hoping the CRTC sees what shaw is doing and makes the wholesale rates more reasonable.

I did notice that Telus finally fixed my address in their service search tool. I think this means I can get Teksavvy now (which is $60 + dryloop ($13?)) for 50mbps DSL in Victoria. I think the Telus wholesale rates are much more reasonable than Shaws, so it's good to know I have that option if something happens to Juce.

As I like sports I still find myself tethered to Shaw's Personal TV package. Still hoping that somehow the skinny package + sports might end up being cheaper than personal tv.

#1,358 ·
I actually have a different take on who has the best customer service as I am customer of both Telus and Shaw.
Last year my Telus internet was out for approx. 30 minutes. I did not call customer support as I figured it would be a temporary outage which it was. The next day I got an email from a Telus executive apologizing for the outage and I was give a 10 dollar reduction on my next bill. I though that was awesome. I recently had a problem with my Shaw cable and it took FOUR service calls before they fixed it. I figured they would offer me an apology at least for the inconvenience , if not some sort of rebate on my next bill. Nope...nothing..nada...zero....

#1,361 ·
@cslusarc At my home in Winnipeg, all the Shaw lines are run on the outside of the house, from the pole to a 4way, to 4 separate entry points in the house. Obviously not ideal because of the extra holes in the wall, but it does show that there's nothing inherently wrong with running the lines on the outside of the house.

#1,363 ·
See where you can run it in and where if possible you can put it behind baseboards and trim etc. Maybe it takes a handyman approach with only one or two entrances into the home from outside. I have cable where I thought the TV should be and when I wanted internet on the other side of the room the coax tucked very nicely under the baseboard. Etc. etc.

Yes, even the home I designed on a PC and had a builder build to spec was not perfect after having lived in several others.

#1,364 ·
Well, after 11 years with Shaw, we've officially called it quits. I kind of can't believe it, I am generally pretty devoted to the companies I commit to, but I think I just got pushed too far, and Telus happened by at a particularly disaffected moment (and one where there were no recordings of value lost from the PVR)...

We installed Telus cable and internet yesterday and cut out the home phone altogether. Our bills had gone up crazy amounts (like everyone else in here) over the last 3 years, with little to no real improvements to service, and what I viewed as awful explanations, that either assumed the consumer was an idiot, or were overtly hostile. Telus fibre was run to our house last year, but the price wasn't quite right back then (3-4 price increases ago). Now, the price is definitely right. We'll save ~$1800 over the next 3 years versus what we would have paid to Shaw for effectively identical service.

We'll see how the next 3 years go and revisit... Thanks to the folks here for a great forum!

#1,365 ·
This is as much to rant at/about myself as it is about Shaw!

I can't believe I payed Shaw for cable TV for so long! I'm surprised just how much of what I watch can be gotten online. Free. (Don't I feel stupid for not looking into this sooner.)

Marvel's Agents of Shield season 3 premiered last night. Today, I'm currently streaming it from CTV. Free. Arrow starts in Oct. Thanks CTV!

So much wasted money! Oh well, lesson learned.

I've scheduled Juce internet to be hooked up next week. Juce simply offers a much better deal for my price range. 20 down plan is cheaper than Shaw's 15 down. Juce beats Shaw both in down and up speeds too. As well as unlimited bandwidth vs 150GB.

Shaw 15 ($63):

Up to 15 Mbps download speed
Up to 512 Kbps upload speed
150 GB monthly transfer limit

Juce 20 ($56.95):

Up to 20 Mbps Download
Up to 1.5 Mbps Upload
Unlimited

My next move will be to get rid of Shaw phone. I'm not sure which route I want to take yet but the options are VOIP or a cell. I really don't need a cell, though the portability would be nice. (I'd need a Secured Visa first for a cell, which means saving up $500.) I can get VOIP much cheaper. (Without a Secured credit card.) I'm really not a phone guy! I use it to book appointments, or to make sure my my friends are at home and to say that "I'm on my way" kinda thing. Or the reverse. I don't like to sit and chat for any great length of time. That's what visiting is for.

So, almost 2 services down and 1 to go. I look forward to the day I am away from Shaw. Though I will miss the frontline staff. They've always been good. It's their business plan I have issue with! I realize business' are out to make a buck but continual price increases (3 in 1.5 years) is just too much for this guy.

I encourage others to cut the cord and send Shaw a message. Abuse your customers (financially) and they will be customers no more!

Oh, and the latest Gateway update seems to have people pretty angry. Glad I sold mine just before this all went down or there may have been a lot of cursing in this post!

I'm kinda surprised how liberated this move is making me feel. I really do detest Shaw as a business! Particularly it's over payed fat cats! Squatting on millions while I live off half what the poverty line is. But you just kep raising those prices Shaw.....as it wont effect me for much longer.

/rant

P.S.

Oh yeah. With the browser plug-ins I use, I can avoid the commercial breaks too! FREAKIN AWESOME!!!

#1,366 ·
@GamerGuy, I ported my Shaw number to free phone line dot com (FPL) 1.5 years ago. No monthly free - just initial setup cost - $20 for an used ATA (a new ATA is around $50), $25 to port your number to FPL and $50 (now is $60) for unlock file to their system. I have been asking myself why I did not do it sooner. If you are not attached to your phone number at Shaw, you can save the $25 FPL porting fee. FPL will give you a number.

If you want something mobile, you can get a smartphone and install Fongo app and use it on WiFi. Fongo owns FPL. You do not need a unlock file for the Fongo app.

Telus usually has prepaid Android phone for sale at $75 - no need to sign up for a plan - not even a prepaid account.

#1,367 ·
Wow. Sweet! I'll go look into that now. My friend gave me her old Android smart phone after her recent upgrade.

This sounds perfect! With all options, I can still afford to do that next month. (I'd buy new. Never been into buying used anything if I can avoid it.)

Thanks so much for the tip. :smile (As I had not found it on my own in my search for options.)

#1,368 ·
Ok, I'm going to plant a sloppy wet "internet kiss" right on your cheek! I've since signed up for FPL and got the Fongo app installed on the phone. It doesn't work yet not having paid for the VOIP part yet.

...but looking at my funds, I may just port my current number over and buy the VoIP Unlock Key today and use the smart phone as my home phone over WiFi. The porting can take up to 14 days. I called Shaw and if I cancelled my phone service with them on Sunday along with the internet I'd have a roughly $5-$6 dollar credit. She said only retentions could give me an exact amount but it would be roughly the aforementioned.

The way I figure it, if I start the porting process today then wait for the porting to take effect I can cancel Shaw phone and come out a wash at worst. Hoping the porting takes less than the max. Not sure how far $5-$6 dollars goes these days as to service time.

And I did actually look at freephoneline's website as it was marked as 'clicked' in Google. I guess I just didn't read well enough into it or understand it's "awesomeness".

Thanks again for pointing it out. This makes life that much sweeter, being [almost] Shaw service free. *takes a deep breath then exhales*

#1,369 ·
Don't cancel your Shaw phone service. Your number needs to be active before you can port the number to another provider.
Take your Shaw phone modem back to Shaw ASAP after your number is ported to Fongo.

At the mean time, you can use the Fongo app on you Android phone to make/receive calls.

Your Shaw 500kbps upload speed may have a poor outgoing voice quality. But your new service 1.5Mbps upload will improve the outgoing voice quality.

#1,370 ·
Yeah I was going to keep it until it's switched.

Thanks for clearing things up via PM that I had gotten confused about. Saved me from spending money needlessly.

Edit: Deleted now irrelevant questions/links. I made my choice.

I decided to pull the trigger on the Grandstream GS-HT701 with "FREE Super Saver Shipping — get it Friday, Oct. 9" option for a total of $44.60 No sense paying for shipping as there is no rush to get it if I have to use Shaw until the porting/etc. Which I'm about to do next.

ALMOST THERE!!! As soon as the porting is done I will be Shaw free. *happy dance*

Thanks again TechGuy8.

#1,371 ·
Well, not sure what to make of this.

I posted a reply on the Shaw forums earlier. Nothing offensive, no external links, and it goes through fine. (Kinda anti-Shaw in tone admittedly.) I later try to reply to a post directed at me, and it goes to moderation.

I then edit the first post removing a duplicate 'and'.....and.....it too now goes to moderation. Up yours Shaw!!!

I guess they don't like my anti-Shaw attitude. There was no reason for this!

#1,373 ·
Well, after complaining via PM (In a PM already created, "Currently being moderated?????" from before.) they have since been removed from moderation without a word.

I was starting to think shaw didn't appreciate me making it clear how easy it is to save money using other services....on their own forums...

I'll sing it from the mountain tops if need be! People need to send Shaw a message.

P.S.

If I didn't want to port my number I'd cancel Shaw phone today over this, but I do. *grits teeth and bears it*

P.S.S

Well, seems I was wrong. they are indeed still flagged as "Currently being moderated." I checked both before posting the above and the flag did not appear. Uhg!

#1,374 ·
Ok, I'm hopping mad now!!

This is what I originally posted without issue this morning.

It's what I did recently. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't miss much. (As a self proclaimed "TV junkie".) Most of what I watch can simply be streamed right from the stations website or cheaper services. I'm regretting not doing it earlier!

*carrying on the sentiment/rant*

I signed up for Juce's 20 down, 1.5 up, unlimited internet plan. Connection time is booked for tomorrow morning between 8-10. I got to use my own modem (bought from Shaw years ago.) and router saving me money.

I've signed up for freephoneline .ca (No monthly bills. YAY!) and have ordered an ATA for my cordless phone. (Thanks to some helpful advice given at DigitalHomes .ca) I'll be able to use a "softphone" on my smartphone and as long as I have WiFi I'll have a mobile phone through freephoneline, sort of. (Works for me.) Unfortunately money always being an issue I'll have to wait until I can pay for the number porting and SIP Configuration. ($95.xx)

In about a month I'll be paying $56.95+tax /month, vs Shaw's $150+tax. I still have access to the internet, my shows, and phone for a 3rd of the cost. Sweet!
This was the response I got via PM:

The reason why you're currently on our pre-moderated list at this time is due to the recent comments that you have posted, which are not conducive to assisting customers in resolving their service issues. We are happy that you are able to find a provider that is able to meet your internet needs; however, the posts that we have seen are cross promoting a different provider and unfortunately we will have to verify your comments before we allow them to be published. The specific comment that you had posted that led us to this decision was from the Gateway thread in https://community.shaw.ca/message/126020, promoting Juce's services.
Sound like a whole lot of BS to me. So my response:

"..which are not conducive to assisting customers in resolving their service issues"

Since when has that been a rule?

So basically, the truth hurts huh?
I am so sick and tired of Shaw! I'm now considering cancelling my phone service with the internet tonight. I'd be without phone for a few days other than the freephoneline desktop app. But at this point, I don't think I care. I will ponder it some more as I am still vibrating mad currently.

#1,375 ·
You are wasting FPL $25 porting fee if you cancel your Shaw phone number tonight. I don't think that FPL will give you refund even if you cancel the porting. I may be wrong though. Just don't go that forum and wait for a week for your port. You will get an email from FPL the porting date in a few days.

#1,377 · (Edited)
I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I'd like to port the number, but don't care to remain a Shaw customer for the time it takes.

The Shaw drama continues:

We appreciate your comments and your candor; however, if they do not help with a community member's issue or inquiry, then it wouldn't serve a purpose if the suggestion was to promote another company's benefits/pricing structure.
My response.

So me simply saying what I did is me "promoting" Juce? I think your reaching Ken. Shaw must know their in trouble...

Shaw should be ashamed! Censorship is for the weak!!

Oh, and I think informing (through sharing my own doings) others of better options IS HELPING....so, I helped...

Well, I'm deciding whether to cancel phone now too with the internet service tonight. I just have to decide how important my current number is too me.
So I ask you folks, does that original post seem "hide" worthy? If you (Shaw) have nothing to hide?

*disclaimer*

Please do keep in mind, I'm admittedly raging, and may not be thinking clearly here but I feel I've been slighted.

P.S.

I've since added the following:

I'd like to add:

Why was the post before mine allowed? It wasn't helpful either?

jayace77 (to andyk) 4 hours ago

"It's no wonder more and more people are ditching their cable providers and chosing different options, especially with today's streaming choices. I'm not far off going that way myself. I pay way too much for what I get in return. "

Yet more...

Shaw:

Posts like that would be ok, as that is of an opinion. Posts like the one that you had referenced Juce and their benefits, it's seen as suggestive so that is the reason why. We can let this go with a warning, and I will remove you from our pre-moderated list.

Thank you.
Me:

So if I rework it, removing company names simply saying "I switch providers" instead, and clear it with you via this PM first, can it be added? Say like this:

"It's what I did recently. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't miss much. (As a self proclaimed "TV junkie".) Most of what I watch can simply be streamed right from the stations website or cheaper services. I'm regretting not doing it earlier!

*carrying on the sentiment/rant*

I signed with a different internet provider service for 20 down, 1.5 up, unlimited internet plan. Connection time is booked for tomorrow morning between 8-10. I got to use my own modem (bought from Shaw years ago.) and router saving me money.

I've signed up for a VOIP serive (No monthly bills. YAY!) and have ordered an ATA for my cordless phone. (Thanks to some helpful advice given at DigitalHomes .ca) I'll be able to use a "softphone" on my smartphone and as long as I have WiFi I'll have a mobile phone through the VOIP service, sort of. (Works for me.) Unfortunately money always being an issue I'll have to wait until I can pay for the number porting and SIP Configuration. ($95.xx)

In about a month I'll be paying $56.95+tax /month, vs Shaw's $150+tax. I still have access to the internet, my shows, and phone for a 3rd of the cost. Sweet!"

Better?
Now putting an end to this:

If it was worded like above, we would have allowed the post yes, as you provided your sentiment and your particular solution to your issue without specifying a specific provider. According to Juce, they are available available in certain parts of BC; if you had mentioned Juce in the comment, then discussions may turn into "Where can I get Juce/Why is Juce not available in my area/Will you pricematch Juce" etc. and such. The comments in your post we do not see a problem with at all; recent comments mentioning Juce as the solution were the reasons why we initially premodded you. Now that you understand our position, hopefully it makes sense as we do not like censoring our Community users in general and is usually a last resort in order to help keep our forums on topic.

Thanks.
Yeah, now that I've calmed down I can accept your position.

So if there is no objection to the above reworked version, I'll post a new? With a note at the top along the lines of: "Re-posting after rewording" as someone had 'liked' the original post and I'm sure several had read it. I feel it only right to mention it is a re-post.
Yep, I approve of the rewording bit no problem! Please feel free to repost and add the disclaimer if you like.

Thanks
Done. Thanks ken.

#1,378 ·
I don't think it's bad to discuss the competitors. I really liked Juce for the first two months. For the last two weeks my internet has slowed to a crawl in the evenings. At this point I don't know if it's Shaw's node that is congested, or of Juce is having their own capacity issues (I'm assuming they least space on Shaw's node). It's really bad. There was a point last night around 9pm where my speed fell under 2mbps.

I've been going through my choices. I could go back Shaw, but as I'm not 100% sure where the issue lies that might not be a good idea. I could go to Telus. There basic TV service + sports package is about the same price as shaw's basic package. They discount when you run both tv/internet through them so I'd cancel Shaw immediately. I use alot of bandwidth so I'd need to pay the extra $15 for the unlimited addon with telus. The wierd thing is telus 50mbps plan is $78 when bundled, so adding $15 for unlimited makes it the same price as Shaw's capped 60mbps service. I'd take 50mbps unlimited over Shaw's 60mbps capped.

Everytime I go through my options Shaw is coming up short. I get Telus reps knocking on my door from time to time. One of them pointed out something really useful. The contract break fee is $10/month (assuming you don't take them up on a free item). If you sign a 3yr you get your services discounted for a year (you can basically get 50mbps internet/loads of tv channels for $80ish a month). If you average the break fee (assuming you don't stick around) it's only an extra $20 month for the time you had the service. That actually seems like a pretty good deal...

How is Shaw keep customers as this point? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.