Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw DCT6412 Information / Questions / Problems

340K views 1K replies 289 participants last post by  sherds 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shaw has introduced the Motorola DCT6412. I thought we could use a thread specifically about this model, and I'm starting it off with some links and information that I have gathered recently.

The 6412 is the latest High Definition (HD) Digital Video Recorder (DVR) model in the Motorola 6xxx series of Digital Cable Terminal (DCT).

Main Features:
- Two tuners (vs. single tuner in 6208)
- 120 GB harddrive storage (vs. 80 GB in 6208)
- $748.88 (Shaw's list price, before any credits)

Shaw uses i-Guide software on their DCT boxes, which does support both tuners in the 6412 (as first demonstrated by Comcast in the USA).

Although there has been some discussion about the 6412 in the Cogeco forum, they are using the older Blue Guide software which does not support both of the tuners, and there are other software differences.

Here are some links with 6412 related information...

Shaw Info
HD+PVR Digital Terminal
Shaw HD+PVR User Guide (PDF, 0.5 MB)

Motorola Info
Product Features
Multimedia Demo
FAQs (6412 section)
DCT6400 Series User Guide (PDF, 1.5 MB)
DCT6400 Series Technical Guide / Installation Manual (PDF 1 MB)

i-Guide
TV Guide i-Guide (USA version of i-Guide)
TV Guide 6412 DVR Manual (PDF, 2.4 MB)
Prevue i-Guide (Canadian version of i-Guide)

Comcast related info
Comcast 6412 DVR Manual (PDF, 3.8 MB)
Shaw's implementation should be quite similar to Comcast's rollout of the 6412 in the USA since both are using i-Guide software. I'm adding links to some Comcast-related information since we may learn from their experiences.
(Note: Comcast is testing the Microsoft Guide in the Washington State area, so those experiences will not apply.)
http://www.*************/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=464986
http://www.broadband******************/remark,11767112~mode=flat~days=9999
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?threadid=210485

Remote Control
Atlas DVR/PVR by Universal Electronics (5 devices)
Support Site
Programming tips

Other
Unofficial FAQ for Motorola HD DCTs (6412 section)

More to come...
(Shawguy, please feel free to edit to add more reference materials, FAQs etc)

See less See more
#103 ·
idearat said:
I have the RD-XS32, and I'm very happy with it for my use: primarily as a PVR, plus burning the occasional DVD-R. The 80Gb hard drive is plenty big enough for that. I've never come close to using it all, but then I tend to record / watch / delete. The user interface is pretty good, once you get used to it; the manual's typically awful, but everything's there if you read it carefully. (Sometimes the key points are presented as footnotes...)

Are you familiar with the black level bug this recorder has? For my use I don't worry about it, but if you're planning to archive lots of important stuff and picky about PQ, you should be check into it before you purchase. AVS Forums has several loooooong threads, some of which get very technical.

Other than that, I haven't read much but raves about the XS32. I find it wonderful for timeshifting, chase-play, etc., and it's a good enough DVD player for my purposes too. Simplified my life: replaced VCR and DVD player, and added the PVR and burner. It doesn't use an IPG, just VCR+, which I don't bother with... I'm more comfortable setting up day / time / channel recordings anyway (something I'd really miss on the 6412!).

When I (finally) get my HD tv I'll still use the tosh for most recording, and just pick up a 6200 or at most a 6208 for HD, thus saving some cash.

Cheers... Perry.
Again, thanks for the feedback Perry/meshmellow.

I did read about the "black level bug" in some of the reviews but they all said they didn't experience it.

I have the 6208 and will be getting the 6412 so what I really want the DVD recorder for is just making DVDs from my DVR recordings. I can see the advantage of getting a recorder with a harddrive for editing purposes. Sounds like the audio will be able to be decoded as Pro Logic which is fine with me for what I will be recording (football, hockey, tv series...).

I guess the question is whether there is a way to connect the 6412 to my PC and burn DVDs that way. Anyone know if that's possible?

Meshmellow, what recorder do you use?

Thanks again for all your help before I take the plunge.

#104 ·
tundramojo said:
Meshmellow, what recorder do you use?
I have the Pioneer 510H with an 80 gig hard drive. Like idearat I find the 80 gigs sufficient. The Toshiba wasn't available when I bought this machine and this one is about $100 more. I like it just fine, though, and I haven't touched many of the features this machine offers. I can't comment on how the Toshiba compares, since I haven't used it. (To compare you'd have to have both machines or delve deeply into the instruction manuals.)

I'm not a great fan of editing television material on the computer. I suppose I''d be more interested if I were recording directly onto the computer in the first place. I don't have the time to transfer something over, when it can be edited right on the DVD recorder. I do watch my DVDs on the computer often and use the computer to burn the occasional copy.

There has been discussion about the tuner in the Pioneer model not being very good. I have to admit I prefer the DCT tuner, so I just use that for recording (sending the DCT6200 signal into the Pioneer). It's not often when I have to watch something other than what I'm recording, since I have more than one TV and digital cable box in the house.

Hope that helps.

meshmellow

#105 ·
Tundra,

FWIW I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't also give very serious consideration to the Panasonic line of HDD/DVD Recorders. But let's not let this thread get off-track. If you'd like further info PM me or else post a new thread in one of the other forums. :)

#106 ·
Felgar said:
Tundra,

FWIW I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't also give very serious consideration to the Panasonic line of HDD/DVD Recorders. But let's not let this thread get off-track. If you'd like further info PM me or else post a new thread in one of the other forums. :)
Yes, they are very good, although a bit pricey (but you get what you pay for). I have had very good experienses with the E55 myself (no HDD) and did a lot of research before buying. I particularily like it's de-noising filter, it's very good (also helps to get better quality compression).

A good place to look is here:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders.php?&orderby=Rating

#108 ·
Felgar said:
Tundra,

I'm not set up to PM you and noticed you don't accept emails, Felgar. I have checked Panasonic and it's between Panasonic, Toshiba, and Pioneer. The Toshiba 80 GB model is on sale at Future Shop for $599 so that's where I'm leaning at the moment. Do you have any insight in the differences between these three?

#111 ·
Digital Sound

I have a 6412 and I'm trying to get digital sound through my pioneer elite receiver.. However, I keep getting analog sound. Does anyone know what I need to do for digital sound?
Just for everyone's info....I had the 6408 and it was very noisy, I exchanged it three times, all making noise..The 6412 doesn't isn't noisy, the only noise it
makes is some clicking, clacking sounds especially when programming or changing channels. Please let me know about digital sound...

Thanks,

#112 ·
Tech questions

To get digital sound you have to have a digital connection between the 6412 and your receiver. The 6412 should have both a coax digital audio output port and an optical digital audio output port. Connect one of these to the appropriate connection on your receiver.

I believe there is nothing to set on the 6412 to get digital output on the two digital audio output ports. They both should be always on.

On the A/V receiver you may have to enter its setup mode to enable the digital input port or to connect it to the source input you are going to be using for the cable box. Then you may have to manually select digital input mode rather than analog audio in. The latter usually is selected automatically on the newer receivers. You will have to check your receiver's manual.

I hope this enought to get you started.

You should also check the FAQ section on this forum. There will be one or two of the FAq's that will help you.

#113 ·
I haven't found any confirmation that it is possible to record while a program is on LIVE to both the DCT 6412 and a DVD recorder with a hard drive (or even to just the connected DVD recorder). I've only found in the guides for the unit that you can record to a VCR or DVD recorder by playing a program back. I'd prefer not to have to do it that way in the interests of saving time. I'd also be concerned that some quality could be lost.

Also, I can't get any confirmation that it's possible to record the high definition (downconverted) onto a DVD recorder.

Can anyone with a DCT 6214, who has a DVD recorder or VCR connected comment on these questions?

meshmellow

#114 ·
PM sent Mesh. I may not have made clear that the box outputs anything that you're watching on svid just like all the other boxes - so if you're actually watching and controlling the box, it's just a matter of turning to the channel and starting recording with the DVD recorder.

#115 ·
Tech questions said:
I have a 6412 and I'm trying to get digital sound through my pioneer elite receiver.. However, I keep getting analog sound. Does anyone know what I need to do for digital sound?
Just for everyone's info....I had the 6408 and it was very noisy, I exchanged it three times, all making noise..The 6412 doesn't isn't noisy, the only noise it
makes is some clicking, clacking sounds especially when programming or changing channels. Please let me know about digital sound...

Thanks,
Interesting that you bring that up. I have the Denon AVR 3300 which has an "auto detect" feature for the audio input, where it selects the correct decorder based on the input signal. I always have it set to Auto. Problem was, when I hooked up my 6208 it was detecting "Stereo". I had to lock it into Dolby Digital manually for it to work. I've never had this problem with any other component. I'm assuming that signal isn't pure or strong enough. I have a tech coming on Friday from Shaw on a potentially related matter; the analog stations look like they are encountering interference as there are lines or snow through the picture to the point where it's pretty much unwatchable (this is the case with the standard digital box, the 6208, and basic straight from co-ax in all rooms so it's definitely the source into the house or the main box in the house).

Anyway, not sure if others have had audio problems like mine.

#116 ·
Felgar said:
PM sent Mesh. I may not have made clear that the box outputs anything that you're watching on svid just like all the other boxes - so if you're actually watching and controlling the box, it's just a matter of turning to the channel and starting recording with the DVD recorder.
Thanks for your prompt PM and this comment, Felgar. I just needed assurance that I could at least record simultaneously, even if I have to watch the program at the same time, or simply leave the 6412 box on that channel. In other words, if I want to archive something, I could go out, leaving the box on a given channel and have the DVD hard drive recorder set to record from the S-video plus RCA audio inputs at a given time. Then, come home, ignore the DCT6412 and edit the recording on the DVD hard drive recorder for archiving on a DVD.

I was thinking I might have to keep my DCT6200 as well, so that I could record on both machines (DCT6412 and Pioneer DVR 510) at once and be sure of being able to record a "downconverted" high definition signal. That would be a pain, since it would mean another splitter, remote control interference (with two DCTs in the room) and probably an additional charge every month for yet another cable box in my home.

meshmellow

#119 ·
No exchange

Shaw didn't offer a exchange, I paid the difference...Although the tech was
going to see if I can get some sort of discount for all the troubles I've had
with the 6208. Imagine 3 times I had to return this and all the waits on the phone. Shaw should their existing customers with credits towards Pay per views, since shaw on demand is also not available currently for 6208 and 6412
digital boxes.

#120 ·
slayer1185 said:
I just purchased a 6208 in December for $500 and the single tuner was the only letdown. And now the 6412 is out. I guess I can just wait until we get another HDTV and put this box on that one and get a 6412.
A couple months back I purchased a Sharp LC32G4U LCD tv and had several problems, which were all Futureshop's fault. First I phoned Shaw and they said they don't exchange. I phoned and asked Futureshop if I could exchange my 6208 for the 6412 and at first they said no and so I mentioned the problems with my tv and he remembered and said he would give me the 6412 for $248+tax($748-$500) if I exchanged it for the 6208.

#121 ·
stumped..noobie ?

Hello all,

I just took the plunge with the 6412. It seems to be working fine but, I can't figure out this dual tuner. I record a program, hit swap on the remote and try to change channels and it tells me I have to either stop recording to switch channels or continue recording.
Yes, I do have the dual tuner 6412 in case people are asking and I have confirmed this. Is this just a newbie issue or is something up?

#122 ·
Uwish said:
Hello all,

I just took the plunge with the 6412. It seems to be working fine but, I can't figure out this dual tuner. I record a program, hit swap on the remote and try to change channels and it tells me I have to either stop recording to switch channels or continue recording.
Yes, I do have the dual tuner 6412 in case people are asking and I have confirmed this. Is this just a newbie issue or is something up?
Sounds like you're following the right steps from what I have read. Sorry I can't be of any help yet Uwish, but I just picked up my 6412 today and will be hooking it up Friday so I'll be following this thread.

#123 ·
Uwish said:
I record a program, hit swap on the remote and try to change channels and it tells me I have to either stop recording to switch channels or continue recording.
I know once you hit record it seems as though u must wait around 30 seconds before u can change the tuner , as for it saying stop or continue recording this only happens when you try to change the channel and you are recording( for myself anyways )

#125 ·
Sith said:
Tundramojo, did you end up getting it from Future?. I still haven't heard from the salesman at the Bridgeport store but he was off on Wed & Thu.

That will be great if it's in tomorrow after work. I'll finally be able to record.

Thanks.
Future Shop, yes, but I picked it up at the downtown Vancouver store (Robson). I tried phoning the Lansdowne & downtown stores earlier today but neither was answering their phones, so I walked the Robson store and, according to the sales guy, they had 1 left. He said they had 400 in all the stores total and only 4 were left. I'd call all the stores to check if I were you. I just got lucky.

There was a message on my machine Wednesday after work from Future Shop. It was a young Asian guy and I could barely understand what he said (no disrespect, for those who recall Bill Parcells' press conference blunder) but I did make out that it was Future Shop and that they had something in that I was looking for. Must have been the 6412 and likely Lansdowne in Richmond, because I left my name with an Asian guy there (1+1 = 2). Try there, you might have some luck.

#126 ·
Uwish said:
Hello all,

I have not experienced this behaviour. Once I hit swap I can change channels on that tuner just fine. The swap is actually occuring in that you definately change your feed over to the other tuner? The only time I've experienced this is when I have both tuners tied up recording.

Or if you're using a timer recording, are you sure that the other tuner hasn't taken the recording task, and then you actually swap over into the one that's doing the recording?

If you list the exact steps (including initial channels, etc) I can try to duplicate the behaviour with my box later tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.