Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

SONY 32LL150 -- No Clock

Tags
hdtv sony
2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bear2076 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I recently bought a Sony 32LL150 LCD TV. It is a decent 720p LCD TV with good image rendering at 720p (480p channels look very pasty/plastic). As I was using an old 20" RCA TV earlier without any cable TV, the digital TV is a big upgrade. And to solve the problem of US channels going digital last year (especially PSB), I'm driving it with a home brewed digital antenna (Cost less than $10 :D).

One thing I really miss the the scheduling clock. The old RCA TV could be programmed to start at a certain time and then turn off at another. The new one has much more advanced technology running it but SONY has (as usual) forgotten to give a basic feature to the user. All it has a sleep timer which is useless as compared to the clock schedule feature.

I have already checked for a firmware upgrade, but it has the latest one available on the Sony website. I'm sure it won't be difficult for manufacturers to provide this feature. They advertise much more advanced technologies like several HDMI connections, VGA/DVI connections, optical/s-video, etc. but seem to be leaving behind some very basic things.

Is there anyway one could get the feature? Do HDTVs today have clocks? Would SONY listen if I called them up and ask them how to set clock for this model?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Although many of today's TVs have a clock - usually via the User setup menu, they may or may not have certain functionality (on/off, etc). If there are functions you want in a TV, then you need to ensure that the one you purchase has what you want. You can't assume anything these days with every manufacturer trying to save money to remain competitive. If the feature is not present in the TV, then it's highly unlikely that Sony will do anything.

Check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

#3 ·
I bought the particular TV as it was on special. Being LCD technology, which is definitely not going to last as long the wonderful CRTs, I will most likely be buying a LED in 2-3yrs. That was why I wasn't nit-picky about features. Sony has once more confirmed that their products do not have the feature that others give for default. Even a brand new Sony DVD player wouldn't play my personal DVDs that I burnt! LG/Samsung/Philips are happy to play anything I throw at them!

However, for features like the clock with a TV of today's technology do not increase the price of the product. Sony is most likely using the exact same code to generate the firmware for all Bravia TVs. The only difference being that the configuration file for the 32LL150 would have "FALSE" (0 / NO) for the clock option.

I will definitely end up giving SONY a call and see what they say.

I hope someone reverse engineers their firmware and everyone can play with the TVs and enable/disable features.

#4 ·
:( I have returned my unit to Bestbuy for the exact same reason - no clock! The TV is good value for the money. Picture and color looks good but not great!

I went to Sonystyle store and confirmed this missing feature with a sale person there. The entry level Sony 720P LCD (Bestbuy's 32LL150 or 32L5000) has no internal clock to keep time so it can not turn itself off at pre-set time. The Sony 32 1080 S series and the 32 XBR9 both have clock; but both models are pretty sold out or overpriced at some place that have stocks!

I ended up with a 1080 panasonic with IPS LCD panel and much happier!

I can go to sleep without worry to leave the TV on all night!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.