Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

New Portal for Gateway system: MP2150

18K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  GamerGuy 
#1 ·
#3 ·
The Portals have the video processing chip in them so this one should be an update to the original. I've also heard that there will be IR tether support.

#6 ·
Dionysis, that question has yet to be answered by anyone at Shaw. I tried to find out from an official contact but there was no available info just a few weeks ago. I am hoping to be able to trade at least half of my Portals but there is no guarantee they will offer any such program.

#13 ·
No swapping. I bought a couple from Visions on the Black Friday weekend sale. The Shaw agent who booked my 'install appointment' actually even tried to get authorization for a 'swap' but no dice, as I fully expected.

Side note: I was actually able to have them do the 'remove and replace' process over the phone. It took two calls and three agents but it got done without a tech visit since I was simply replacing two boxes so no wiring changes. The key is you need to get the new boxes added to your account work order, and any previous boxes removed if you had the maximum of 6 like I do, and then get transferred to Gateway support for them to do the behind the scenes black magic.

#15 ·
I have been renting the Gateway plus 2 portals for a few months now and am ready to purchase. I plan to purchase the Gateway I am currently renting and then return the 2 portals to purchase the MP2150 models. Will this still require a visit from Shaw to install or can I just swap out the portals?

#18 ·
Crash7, So you didn't get yours around October? That's when I signed up on that amazing offer they had out and I got a free gateway and 3 portals for free for as long as I pay for cable through them. :) My 6 months is up March and I just got my April bill, still getting $30 month credit on the equipment but the promos are gone now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.