Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

I want a Iphone..... but with who???

7K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 ·
I wont be using much data... I will use it mostly to have my "phone" with my mp3s and I love gadgets , now I don't need unlimited talk, cause I rarely go over 100min per month.... I don't have many friends that I talk to but would like to have the 5 friend thing NATIONWIDE so I can call home in NB for free...I Have to have caller id.. and send and get text and pics to about 4 other people with cell phones.. I wont be a data hog... (how much stuff can 500mb get you these days?) anyways.. I with telus now.. contract is over and they called... I looked over the plans and i am confused...... so I looked at rogers... and cant understand it there... went to Fido.. and I got more confused... bell... well I just glanced that site and I said never mind it will be easier to ask here instead... I would like to know who has the best plan for what I do... all the providers have service for where I usually go... Please help....

#2 ·
Best place to look is each site - they all have specific plans for iphones, which are also similar to their voice+data plans for any smartphone. Theyre quite similar across all carriers.. all include 500MB for the base plan:

Bell $45 + ~$7 SAF

Telus $50 , no SAF

Rogers $50 + ~$3 GRRF

Fido $65, no SAF

Fido is bit different as it doesnt give those bonus options to choose from, but does have UL txt,mms and VVM included.

Bell, Telus, Rogers all have evenings at 9 as opposed to 7pm with Fido. Bell, Telus have 150 daytime minutes while Rogers gives 200 daytime. Also, from the bonus choices, the Fab5/MY5 for Bell and Telus are for local calls/txt, while Rogers MY5 option is nationwide. As well, for Caller ID i think its about $7 on any carrier..

Hope this helps... By the way, i found this from spending 1 minute on each site.. its really not that confusing is it?

#3 ·
over 150 views and no one can help?
Well it looks like you first need to help yourself and spend a few minutes on each provider's web site to browse their packages and deals. Once you've done that, then you could ask specific questions and people would be glad to give you advice. There's a different between "helping" and "doing all the work for someone".
Browsing the links provided in the post above by "profets" is a great start in your search.

Picking a cell phone is usually a 3-step process:
1-select the phone
2-select the package
3-add options.

In my friend's recent case with Bell:
1-iPhone 32gig 3Gs 299$ with a 3-year plan
2-Combo 55$ per month 300mins, 1gig/month, 5 "free" phone numbers
3-Added the caller ID + voicemail package 12/month

The worst you can do in my opinion is to walk in a wireless provider's store without looking at their web site first. The first two sales person offered packages that were worse than the one displayed on their website. The first one offered 150mins + 500megs for about 60 a month. When we challenged him about the deals offered on Bell.ca, he first tried to push them aside, then ended up agreeing they were better deals and he could sign him up for that.

#4 ·
I had the same problem, but I searched the two new providers and considered what I wanted.

I want:

A reasonable number of minutes
A data plan for email mostly, maybe a few webpages every now and then, but mostly email
Unlimited text messages
Caller ID

So, after a few minutes of looking, I found that I could get all of this with Telus. I selected the iPhone 50, picking double minutes (400 total minutes), 500MB of data and unlimted text with caller ID for $73.25 a month.

Just build a few plans on the websites (Bell, Telus, Rogers) and know what you're looking for before hand.

#5 ·
One thing that may factor into your decision is network speed. My friend & I did a speedtest with our iPhones and the difference was staggering.

Mine is a Fido 3G, server was ~80km away:

His is a 3GS w/ Bell, server was way the heck in Michigan (sorry, don't have his image results):
Download: 3+ Mb/s
Ping: 330ms

Take it for what it's worth

#6 ·
You'll use data for more than email (visual voice mail; apps) even if you are not browsing. That being said. I use my phone HEAVILY and I use less than 200mb most months.

Question for FIDO users: I'm looking at a second iPhone for my wife (I'm on Rogers) and saw that it asks you to add on caller ID with name display. Is this just adding the name display feature or will the visual voice mail not show a phone number otherwise?

Rogers upselled this to me too..

#9 ·
You should be able to get Caller ID rolled into a 'value' pack of some sort that will give you texting and data also eg. Rogers has a few different kinds.

If you really love gadgets I think you will use more data than you think but not over 500mb unless you are always browsing, or using streaming audio/video often.

I would suggest you wait a few months if you can until we see newer Android OS based phones come, and also the new carriers. It should create more competition and lower prices.

#15 ·
Please suggest best iphone plan for me with max data and minimal phone

Can someone please suggest best and cheapest iphone plan for me with max data and minimal phone. I don't care for phone part, just need access to fast data network for internet.
Can go with rogers/bell/telus whatever
can buy my own phone or sign a 3 year contract.
Thanks in advance.

PS 2 GB may be enough for me for the more the merrier:D

#16 ·
Rogers is the only carrier with Data Only Plans. They start at $25/mo. Not sure if that gets you the subsidised phone or not. All three carriers also offer Data/Voice Combo plans from $50 up to $100. Just go to each website and look around for something that fits you.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/clear_choice_iphone/index.shtml

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpWls_RtpDetails.page?wlcs_catalog_category_id=RealTimeRatePlans

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=WLRS_Plans

#20 ·
I was told by a Bell salesperson that data only plans are available for iPhone, when I asked specifically. I am interested in data-only as well for iPhone. The Rogers site is confusing in that the data plans dopn't explicitly state iPhone anywhere. I'm new to phone stuff, is the iPhone a "smartphone" for the purposes of data plan rates?

#24 ·
I did it..Telus won....
got the iphone 3gs 16 gig on a 3 year (renewal) for 94$ plus tax using the "friends and family" website and a little bit of arguing.... the friends and family website was for NEW actiavtions only but i guess I got a person who wanted to make a sale......

anyways.. 94$ for the phone....
Share50 for iphone plus caller id voice mail 10 and unlimited texts/vid/pic msg for 10$ with the nation wide 5 numbers and 250 mins so for 60$ plus tax, I get 500mb data, 250 min,voice mail 10, caller Id, unlimited text/vid/pic msg, nationwide 5 numbers, is this a good deal?

I never got the phone yet, its in the mail, so I have 30 days... but I just know that very soon I bet you there will be a better plan,,,,, oh well.. I could always cancel.. and pay the ECF and I would still have a nice 300$ I pod touch with a camera.. lol (200ecf and 94$ phone cost)

#33 ·
here in Newfoundland ...

what I'm seeing is that the Bell, Telus and Rogers plans are almost identical ... similar minutes, similar data, similar add-ons. Ater some time with a smartphone on Rogers, I'm left with 2 practical observations: (1) 3G via Rogers sucks, so I will be testing data use if I consider Telus or Bell (I don't know if it's that much better elsewhere, but I suggest testing data speed anywhere) ... and (2) Rogers appears to be the only provider that still charges a "Government Regulatory Recovery Fee" which does add up over the length of your plan.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.