Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

VCR acting up

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  senior70 
#1 ·
Hope I'm in correct forum- have not been here for a year.
My seldom used VCR had always showed color movies really well since connecting to A/V receiver Jan 2013 (57 was on hand too with calibration of everything.)

But having issues now- When tape starts to play it is grainy black & white and
cuts in and out ( audio ok). A message comes on my TV -MODE NOT SUPPORTED-
RESOLUTION NOT SUPPORTED-CHANGE RESOLUTION OF EXTERNAL DEVICE

And when I press source on TV remote and select AV VCR- message comes up
THIS SOURCE NOT CONNECTED. I have replaced the cable from VCR to Component jack on TV but no change. I have not fiddled with anything since
installation. Could it be the VCR?? Thanks!!!

#3 ·
Some VCRs are combined with DVD players and may have component output jacks. As mentioned above you may wish to try the composite (yellow) jack for video. Also, if using component video, you may wish to check the output format on the player as it may be sending a signal that the TV doesn't like (480P, 720P or 1080P for example. Most TVs accept 480i and 1080i.

Composite video (yellow) is 480i automatically, so it should not be a problem. If that doesn't work, you may wish to try the VCR on another TV - if I recall you've got at least one other. If the VCR has S-Video output, you could give that a try if you've got an S-video cable and appropriate inputs on the TV(s)

#4 ·
Thanks for replies. As I said, video was working with just cable from
VCR to Component jack on Samsung TV. I was searching internet using the
screen messages as a search tool and some opinions suggested the analogue
board may now be defective on this brand in particular (?)
I will try suggestions outlined in the replies.

#5 ·
I assume this is used for playback only? Using All tapes or just specific tapes? any difference when adjusting the tracking?
If ya can almost get it looking right by adjusting the tracking, the Video Heads, and entire Tape Path may need some cleaning.
I haven't played with VCRs in years, but they aren't very difficult to clean, ya just have to be careful in the vicinity of the Video Heads.

Another issue, not as easy to fix is if it hasn't been used in years, any rubber parts inside, belts, etc. can literally turn to Gum
and need to be replaced every once in a while. Not all machines will have rubber belts though. Toward the end of VCRs they used less and less.
But were still usually at least 1, for the Capstan drive flywheel, which is key to moving the tape smoothly at the right speed through the Tape Path.

What is the Make and Model No?
Any chance ya can take a picture of the display while it's playing and post it, so we can actually see the symptom?

#7 ·
OK, also keep in mind, I have found everything from pencils and crayons to popcorn and bubble gum inside VCR mechanisms.
I even found a peanut butter and jelly sandwich inside my sister's, no lie.... Anything can happen with little kids around...:)

#8 ·
Finally got it sorted out. red, white audio and yellow video cords to TV
and VCR .Select source- AV VCR -on TV remote. I must say a very good full screen picture as well. I'm not going to connect to AV receiver as this only used
several times for Disney movies.

I also connected Component video cables to TV (which I remove to connect for VCR) to use with a standby DVD player and connected to TV for use with the
occasional flea market DVDs I buy which won't play on my permanently connected HDMI blu-ray player which prevents ( via Cinavia) protected pirate
DVDs from playing. Older DVD players don't have this restriction.Please don't report me to the RCMP:) Happy senior now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.