Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

6100 Troubleshooting

29K views 91 replies 43 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
Help with 6100s

Hi, and thanks for having me as a member.

Over a year ago, I purchased 4 BEV 6100 receivers at an auction. They came with no cards in the slot. They sat in my basement for the last year until this week when I decided to subscribe to Bell, finally.

Unfortunately, the sales rep at Bell told me that the receivers were basically no good, as I need to buy smart cards and even then they may not work because of some reason or another, like maybe a firmware update.

I don't believe them. We on the internet are a resourceful bunch and I'm sure someone on here has been in the same boat i'm in.
Can anyone offer any guidance on how to get two or three of these receivers working once I've subscribed to expressvu?

Thanks and take care.

#4 ·
If you can view the free channels, 198 etc then you should be just fine.

Leave them connected to the sat signal and turn them off to allow the receivers to update to the newest firmware, after that Bell should activate them and send you out new cards in the mail. They might charge you for cards.

#6 ·
6100 receiver not downloading

Hello new to forum:) I just installed a 6100 hd receiver myself. When I turned it on it said I had a signal strength of 76. When it goes to download programing it just does nothing, was on all night. Called Bell, they tried to help but are sending a tech. My question is about the cable I ran, R6 from satellite to hd box, from box to receiver hdmi cable, hdmi cable to tv, if in the opening screen the receiver has asignal strength I am assuming the cable is fine and problem in receiver. Any thoughts?

#8 ·
When I turned it on it said I had a signal strength of 76.
Which satellite and which transponder? Did you run a "check switch"? It is possible that you are not correctly receiving the signal for firmware updates.
My question is about the cable I ran, R6 from satellite to hd box,
I assume you mean RG6 cable :). Running a cable from the satellite to the hd box could be expensive since the satellite is 22,000 miles high LOL, I assume you mean from the dish to the receiver :) You make no mention of which switch you installed.
from box to receiver hdmi cable,
Not sure what you mean by "box" here.
if in the opening screen the receiver has asignal strength I am assuming the cable is fine and problem in receiver.
Depends on the sat/transponder. Also depends on if you ran "check switch".

#7 ·
Firstly if it is a 6100 you cannot be connecting an HDMI cable on the back without an adapter, the 6100 does not have an HDMI port. I am guesing you have a 6131/6141 or are connecting via DVi to HDMI on the TV.

Are you referring to the receiver downloading the "Guide" or being activated.?

A receiver needs to be switched OFF to download the Guide overnight.

#9 ·
6100 Hook Up

I have had a 6100 for several years, but just got around to buying the HDTV.
Question - Do I use the DVI/HDTV/DISH DVI oulet to hook up to the tv, if so, is there a connector available for that type to connection to a HDMI cable?

Thanks to anyone in advance ...

#10 ·
You can go from the DVi output to an HDMI input on the TV but that will still only give you the Video, you will still need Audio. For Audio you can use the Optical output of the 6100, to feed 5.1 to the TV, then the problem might be that the TV is expecting Video & Audio from the HDMI and there might be no way to tell the TV to expect Audio input from an optical source.

I would be tempted to use Component Cables for the Video & Red/White Composite for Stereo to the TV and use Optical to a Receiver for Surround Sound.

#12 ·
can not activate 6100

Do i need a new smart card to activate my 6100? (I know this receiver has integrated smart card.)
I ask the question because i called bell two times to activate my second receiver but my receiver is never activated. Why? I'm sure all info are given correctly to Bell technician.

#14 ·
Thank you for your answer

That means the guy who was trying to activate my receiver does not know anything about the new smart card! He even ask me to give him the old number on my machine ....and tell me "your receiver should be activated in 20 minutes"!! Even the installing guy does the same thing...he recorded the old smart card number and forward to the Bell center!! It really sucks...

#15 ·
There is a very small caveat, an internal chip which starts S0459***** should be OK.

Chances are, if you ask someone at Bell, they will send you a new card.

#16 ·
6100 upgrade installation question.

I just had a quick question regarding upgrading. i was recently given a 6100 receiver (the inlaws got a pvr and gave us the old one) i'm currently running a 3100, i'm not sure the size of the dish.. looks like the 20 inch tho. with a single lnbf. i know the 6100 is an HD receiver, but i only plan to use it for SD signals, do i still need to add a second lnbf for it to work?

#20 ·
Receivers can be activated with 1 generation old smartcards (internal or external). Bell's system will automatically trigger and send you a new card if required. You will of course not be able to actually view your programming until the new card arrives, but technically the receiver is activated.

#25 ·
Hi, can someone tell me how i can tell if the 6100 i am selling needs a actual smart card or not?
I was told, wrongly or rightly that to sell my old (last used about 3-4 yrs ago when i moved from my house into an apt that did not allow sat) that in order to take my units and sell them, i had to call into bell.
I did this, they verified that when i left bell my acct was in good standing and i owned the units, a 6100 and a 3100 and notes made on file to ensure new owner can activate.
I listed the units on ebay and auctions are closing in another day. I listed both as having a smart card and remote.
But i just remembered that the 3100 has a card in it, but the 6100 does not as i was told when buying it years ago, that it had an internal integrated smart card.
So ....is my auction fine saying the 6100 has a smart card, as its integrated, or...does it need one...will the new owner who activates need one..or will get sent one. I dont want to kill the auction now,but i want to be honest and complete.
Helpful advice? anyone? If you need me to look up something from back of unit to verify if no smart card is ok, let me know as well.

Thx in advance to anyone who can help!

#26 ·
New smart cards have just gone out in the last year, so they will require cards.
As long as someone who already has an account buys them they should be able to get free cards to upgrade/update from Bell, but I stress the word SHOULD.
I would check with Bell, but I believe if some is wanting to open a new account, Bell charges for the smart cards. So it would be better to buy New set up an account, then add the used receivers to their account.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.