Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Cable HD hardware � digital deals

82K views 181 replies 72 participants last post by  shawguy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shaw Cable HD hardware — digital deals

During the soft launch of whole house system, Shaw also clearing out the old PVR and expander.

$50 off for 1TB Expander Now $50
http://www.shaw.ca/Television/Equipment/PVR-Expander/
$50 off for Pace DC758D Now $148
http://www.shaw.ca/Television/Equipment/PVR-Ready-Box/

It was around $300 a few days ago for DC758D + expander. Now only $200.

Future Shop, Best Buy and Visions have lowered their price too. I guess Shaw has told the retailers to lower their price too.

#3 · (Edited)
Shaw Cable HD hardware — digital deals

Dear fellow members:
Please use this thread to discuss special retail pricing for Shaw Cable HD receiving equipment.
Please indicate the name of the retailer, the make and model of the product, the regular price, the discount price and an expiry date.
No links to retailers, please — they will be removed.
Thanks for your participation.

#4 ·
Gateway and Portal Deal!

Does this seem almost too good to be true?
$206 for a gateway and $142 for a portal plus free shipping?
I bought online as soon as I saw this (Oct 5th) because I thought it might be a mistake ... I bought a 55" Sony NX Flat Panel in January from the same site (Visions.ca) for $2000 off ... later I was told they would honor the price, but it was a mistake and was supposed to be only $200 off! Thanks Visions!

Order Details
Item(s) Quantity Unit Price Total
Shaw Gateway (MG5225G) 1 $206.00 $206.00
Shaw Total Home Portal (MP2000) 1 $142.00 $142.00

Sub Total $348.00
Shipping $0.00
GST $17.40
PST $17.40
Total $382.80

#5 ·
That is the new pricing for the Gateway and Portals. It looks like Visions released it early, but it will be available through Shaw at those prices starting October 6th.

#7 ·
I also just read a comment from a member named Golf_CL at redflagdeals that states:

(quote) "
Hi everyone,

Just an FYI that Shaw will be dropping the price on their new Gateway System effective tomorrow. The new price is now $348 for the Gateway hub which includes 1 portal and $142 for each additional portal.

They informed me that they will be making adjustments or credits for those who Shaw customers who already have the Gateway System and paid the original pricing of $598 for the hub with a portal and/or $178 for each portal
" (end quote)

So for you 'early adopters' expect a credit soon!

#14 ·
See also the Shaw Gateway Offer.

For $98.90 per month one can get:

• Gateway
  • 2 Portals
  • Broadband 50
  • Personal TV
I haven't yet seem any info on how this affects or might be applicable to ordinary bundled customers.

There was a big ad in today's Free Press and apparently, in some other, e.g., Calgary, newspapers.

It appears, that this is not for new subscribers only. It seems to be some sort of regular price. The newspaper ad states: Only Shaw has everyday prices that give you so much for so little.

This isn't strictly a hardware deal, so it doesn't quite fit here. Is Shaw Cable programming packages and pricing discussion for 2011 a better place to discuss it? See also my caveat, there.

#15 ·
The gateway offer is simply the normal Personal TV + Broadband 50 ($84.90) + the rent to own for the Gateway/Portal ($10) and additional portal ($4).

Shaw confirmed to me today that still a 1:1 trade of PVR for portal, but only for additional portals - no credit toward the initial gateway/portal.

#17 ·
Does the all-but-forgotten DCT3080 still qualify for a trade-in by Shaw?

Also, since the Gateway itself can be purchased at retail without portal #1, can you purchase a retail gateway and perform a trade-in to get your first portal?

eg. I have a DCT3080 and DCT3416. Could I spend $206 at Future Shop on the Gateway base unit, and trade in both the DCT3080 and DCT3416 for portals 1 & 2?

#26 ·
How does install work with a 3rd party purchased Gateway - bring it home, then call in for install? If I can buy a gateway separately, then trade in my two PVR's for two portal - going to be going shopping tomorrow...
It works fine - I needed three portals - Gateway promo I got included 1 & 2 and bought the third one from BB. No reason why you need to buy anything directly from Shaw, other than as a term of a promotion.

are you sure that the Shaw CSR to whom you spoke agreed that Shaw will swap out for the 1st and 2nd Portals if a Gateway is bought from a third party retailer? It wasn't just a case of the CSR not quite understanding the implications of what you were asking?
If Shaw will only swap for the 2 and 3 portals and you only need two, buy one, have Shaw swap out the other 2 and install all 3, then disconnect the purchased one and take it back to wherever you bought it.

#19 ·
If that worked it would be great for many. No Easy Own option (which seems to have only a modest extra cost associated with it) then but that might be no big deal. Else, buy a Gateway and a Portal, get two-trade-in Portals and then take back the bought Portal. This might be fraught with gotchas and Shaw could disallow it but???

#20 ·
Can someone from Shaw chime in on whether this is possible: Purchasing the gateway without any portals through a Shaw authorized retailer, and then trading in 2 PVRs for your 1st and 2nd portal?

If this is allowed, it would enable me to upgrade my PVR to the Shaw Gateway system, for only $8 more than it would cost me to upgrade to the DCX3400 (which I was already considering, due to the increased recording capacity).

I have to say, the new gateway pricing is very competitive with the existing hardware, and seems to be priced to encourage people to buy the gateway in lieu of the DCX boxes. Portals are priced the same as standalone HD boxes, the Gateway (standalone) is almost the same price as the 3400, and the Gateway+1 is the same as the old PVR pricing, from just over a month ago.

#21 ·
I know that Shaw only offers trades on the 2nd, 3rd, etc portals when you buy the first Gateway+Portal from them. I'm not sure of the policy behind swapping for portals after the gateway was purchased at a third party. It would be interesting to know if they will allow that or not.

I think they won't allow it and the PVR swap is only available when purchasing the entire system directly from Shaw. Let us know.

#24 ·
qubikal, are you sure that the Shaw CSR to whom you spoke agreed that Shaw will swap out for the 1st and 2nd Portals if a Gateway is bought from a third party retailer? It wasn't just a case of the CSR not quite understanding the implications of what you were asking?

And tux, you are asking the $64,000 question.

#27 ·
qubikal, that's what we were afraid of. The question we are asking is if one can buy the Gateway without the "included" Portal, as is possible at the 3rd party retailers, and then get Shaw to exchange two PVRs for Portals.

taxtwit, I suggested that several posts up and was wondering if, somehow, Shaw could/would prevent it. Just the delay between purchasing the unit and having it installed could be problematic in terms of returning the 1st "bought" Portal.

#28 ·
I re-called the CSR as I had to change the cable plan.

You can't trade your PVR in if you buy from Shaw because at their price of $350 - it includes one portal. But if you buy from a 3rd party retailer, it doesn't come with any extra portals - so any pvr that you trade, it is considered "additional" to the technician.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.