Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eastlink 2012 Programming and Packages Discussion

19K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  excatvdude 
#1 ·
This thread is to discuss programming and packages available from Eastlink in 2012.

Use this thread if you are investigating changing your programming on Eastlink or investigating what is available on Eastlink.

#2 ·
Hi Folks

Happy new year.

I recently noticed that Eastlink did not renew its $2 discount on the French bundle. Yet the reason for giving the promotion in the first place has not changed- they still don't offer TSN alternate Montreal.

I also noticed that for customers getting "resolve" credits that more and more they are not extending them. I recently had 2 diff sets of discounts not renewed and more to come.

This is all happening at a time when Aliant FibreOp is picking at their subscriber base.

I wonder if there are many other subscribers noticing a similar trend ?

#3 ·
Price Increase

Got this notice on my bill: They just raised the price not more than a year ago by $3.00 so they have risen the price by $4 in less than a year.

Internet usage continues to grow, driven by online entertainment services and social media. We have enhanced our fibre optic network so that you receive the very best on-line experience. Due to the costs of these improvements, effective on your next statement there will be a $1.00 price increase.

#5 ·
And we now know why internet rates went up...

I'm happy to pay that buck a more so others can get better access.:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, the $7 million rebuild that EastLink completed in this city 15 months ago, while jacking up our rates in the process, is now a full capacity network...What the :confused:

#8 ·
No news of another $1 per month here. We got the $1/month for internet though. We still pay more for certain things here. $5 a month more for a DVR, 3 bucks more for HD too.

#9 ·
I think this would go here since it involves a change in the internet packages...

The usage cap has been increased for EastLink customers in Ontario for "Internet 40" and "Internet 100" to 250 GB/month from the previous 100GB.

I checked my usage yesterday and noticed my percentage dropped for the month then I saw the change. I tweeted them about it and they confirmed it.:) I would suspect that this is probably a good sign that the 11 or so missing HD channels may be coming online for us very soon too.;)

#10 ·
I know this might be a "how long is a piece of string question" but do you find the 250GB/month enough? I use Netflix probably every other day, always on the HD setting, and use the internet mainly for surfing everynight. Sync a couple of smartphones in etc when I am home. Do you think I am going to have cap issues? Do you get close to the 250GB/month?

#11 ·
I found the 100GB enough for us. We don't do Netflix anymore. Maybe the odd torrent or two, surfing and some file downloads for peronsal and work use. I've had EastLink for internet since March 2011 and the most usage I've done is 74GB in one month.

It's been 250GB in NS for a long time. If you haven't reached it yet, you're probably OK, I think.:)

#26 ·
So nearly finished a month of usage and only used 50Gb to date with just a few days to go. Can't believe we use so little date; especially since I discovered www.rdio.com this month have had near constant streaming of this service. Also resolved the issue with the overall speed of downloads. Had a problem with on my computers and now we are hitting 40Mbs all the time! Love Eastlink!

#13 ·
Data Usage

Thanks for the feedback on data usage. I made the change the other day and so far have barely used anything. I am going to use everything as normal and just keep an eye on it - can always switch back if I am a heavy user. I must admit I'm a little disappointed with the download speeds as I have not even broken 30Mbps on speed tests.

#19 ·
I guess the 6Mb upload speed is for Halifax and other NS customers.

When you set your community to anywhere in Ontario, it shows the upload speed at 2Mb.

Download speeds up to 40 Mbps
Upload speeds up to 2 Mbps
Double your speed in a bundle for $10.00/month2
Purchase as a stand alone service at $94.95/month2
Includes DOCSIS 3.0 modem rental
Monthly Usage: 250 GB/Month3, equivalent to;
  • 65,000 songs from iTunes per month or;
  • Approximately 6500 digital albums or;
  • 300 Standard Definition movies

#22 ·
Just an FYI - I spoke to an Eastlink rep over the phone. Currently Bell Media is playing games with Eastlink.

1) Bell owned stations like Discovery HD and Space HD are having a harder time getting approval for Eastlink..

2) The Habs regional channel they are not making available to Eastlink at this time, likely because they are using it and the other HD channels to prop up Bell Aliant and boost their fibre op service.

3) Bell will also not allow Eastlink to split RDS off as a buy-alone station, they force Eastlink to sell it in a package, likely for this reason.

So, the best thing to do is start complaining to CRTC and Bell and your MPs that Bell is playing dirty pool with stations.

#24 ·
Yes, I saw that and tweeted back asking if those of us in Ontario can look forward to June 1st also. No answer given, mind you they may have called it a night by that time...

If we still haven't been caught up on HD stuff by then, it better not be more channels. :rolleyes:

IMO, I think they are launching their wireless service for NS and PEI. They were saying mid-2012 a year ago. Mind you, it would be a first that the original time frame holds true.;)

#25 ·
I am surprised, Brian Crocker, that one of Eastlink's reps was that "open" about discussing the problems they have been experiencing with Bell Media regarding carriage of their channels, but sadly, that information is probably correct. Normally, Eastlink is VERY tight lipped about stuff like this. Perhaps the front line CSRs are becoming as frustrated about the situation as you and I. After all, I am sure they would like to see Space HD and Discovery just as much as the rest of us. It would be nice to complain to the CRTC, but it would be hard to word a complaint like this in a way that the CRTC would actually do anything.

As for Eastlink Cellular launcing on June 1st, that could be true, but I had thought that launch was more likely to be in the fall. After all, they are still building towers(notices are still showing up in my paper about Eastlink building them), so they cannot be ready to launch the service in all areas yet, and if a launch does happen, the service area will be really small. Also, once they launch, I wonder what kind of deals they will offer, and also, will they offer bundling with other Eastlink services? I am still "locked" with Bell Mobility until late January next year.

#27 ·
According to a new Twitter tweet, it looks like the "big announcement" that is coming on June 1st has to do with EastLink TV. My Guess? EastLink TV HD, only in NS of course. That's OK, all we have for EastLink TV is a 10 minute newscast repeated all evening long, 3 days a week.

It's amazing what they will do for customers in NS though, for us west of the Martimes.........not much.
:(
My 2 cents.

#31 ·
Internet 80 and 200 now available in Sudbury as of today. Who knows when it will come to other parts of ON along with the missing HD channels. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.