Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Pace RNG200N HD PVR Owners discussion thread

437K views 654 replies 137 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
So, i trade in in my perfectly fine moto DVR, only complaint was I wanted a bigger HD and the expandability of the the new Pace models. Off to Oakville place I go and they exchange the moto for a shiny sleek black Pace RNG200n.

Well to make a long story short i am on my 3rd one and it still doesn't work!!

Phone tech has been no help, they are baffled. The display loops from "boot" to "d590" to "oo6" the remote will not function at all. I have checked all cables, even installed a new Pace hd box in the same location, works perfect! Tech claims that sometimes a test signal comes back positive sometimes negative. Funny though the pace plain HD box works perfect in the same location, and the previous moto DVR worked flawlessly. Another observation is that the optical audio ports that usually glows red on my other equipment and the new pace HD box never lights up on all 3 of these boxes. not sure what that means.

Also this model is not listed on the pace website, at least were I am looking. Tech wants to send someone to the house in a week.

I Probably should have left things alone and waited for the new stuff to get the bugs out.

Any suggestions out there??

See less See more
#28 ·
update, the cogeco service tech has left. I'm back to a old motto box.

Apparently they are having allot of problems with these boxes. He claims that they will not be releasing anymore of these, it is believed that there is what he thinks a "firmware problem". So after a week and few days I'm back to where i started but with a box that has none of my past recordings on it.

Your Thoughts ??

#30 ·
I picked mine up yesterday. It took almost an hour to download the software update. Nothing seemed to happen for a while after that, so I called tech support. Tech support did a reboot from their end. It took about another half hour to download all my channels before it was up and running.

No problems with it all night.

#34 ·
Well, my DCT6416 passed away last night after only 6 months of precious service and I was very happy with it. The cogeco technician replaced it for a RNG200N, I live in Shawinigan, QC and he told me that the 6416 was discontinued.

It's been connected for almost 5 hours, I've tested the PVR functions and everything is fine. It took about 20-30 mins to get the firmware and less than 5 mins to activate it with the customer service. Now everything is back to normal.

What I like :

- Very small compared to the 6416. It's black, it looks good and it's very silent.
- The image quality is very good, it must be only an illusion because it's a new unit for me, but I find the HD channels and SD channels as well to look better.
- The sound is also very good. No problems at all with the 5.1 DD channels.
- 500G wow! I had 160G before and I was happy. What more can I ask?
- The EPG is full screen even on the HD channels and the clarity is perfect.

What I don't like :

Well, I'm gonna have to wait a couple of days to test everything, but so far I am very happy with the exchange and the receiver!

#39 ·
One issue I've noticed is every time the power goes out here, we lose all the info of our recorded programs. The titles remain and the recordings are fine, just no info.

Slight annoyance since the power does like to flicker a lot around here with the construction going on.

I might just buy a battery backup anyway. I'm getting tired of the TV and cable flickering on and off and interrupting recordings regardless.

#96 ·
I have had the RGN200N for a few days, after the initial download of software and activation all was well. Now on day 3, I seem to have had the problem of all the recorded show info disappearing (which is anoying when you have multiple episodes). Also all of my series recordings had corrupted data (ie. in the series list, blank titles, fragments of words in the title like "inits").

Anyone else had the issue of recorded show info disappearing? Would a battery backup solve this? I can't tell if this was due to a power failure or not as it happened overnight, and no other devices in my house show the signs of a power failure.

#40 ·
UPDATE - just to let everybody know, here's the update with my RNG200N.

I left it unplugged last night after I was getting the 'oob' message on the panel, and a weird number cycling with boot. I came home from work today, and a coworker (I work for a cable company, not cogeco) advised me that sometimes cogeco's backend is slow to update in some areas, with serials of dstb's and such. He recommended I try it when I get home and that I did. The RNG200N locked on and started to download and set up right away. I'm watching and recording now as I speak.

#41 ·
UPDATE

Well it's been two days since I've been playing with my new toy and I didn't find any major problems. The only problem I encountered was a minor one, it was about creating multiple recordings for a show, but the reason behind this error was propably the fact that the EPG was not fully downloaded. I can now record all my favorite shows without having to do it manually.

So far so good, It is a flawless transition and a very nice light, quiet and great looking receiver!

#44 ·
Where are people finding these units? I tried Oakville Place and they said that only a couple had been delivered to them and they were gone. Wouldn't even go in the back room to see if there were any more.

Suggested I come back in a month, by which time they should have had time to box a sufficient number of these units.

#46 ·
Limeridge mall. When I got mine on Wed they had just brought in a full skid of them.

I suspect mine was already opened or something because my remote had the batteries in it and the plastic on the front was a little askew.

So far not a problem although as a test I recorded a hockey game and it was in 4 pieces 2 of which were listed as 1 min but nothing there. Going to do another one to see what happens. Still using the old unit until we watch recorded stuff

#47 ·
Just noticed the following problem with my unit.

Say I am in channel 730 and I enter the channel number ie: 701 it doesn't change. I notice it displace 70 then reverts back to the time as if that isn't a valid channel.
Then if I go into the guide and scroll to say 731 and "select" it goes to 701

It isn't the remote that is a problem as it does the same with either of the remotes we have.

#53 ·
RNG200n

Picked up the last RNG200n they had at Oakville Place yesterday.
I had it all set up and running, no problem, then I went into the settings menu.
Power off and hit settings. No need to change anything. Hit power to exit and then I couldn't get the thing to turn back on. I could get back into settings, but nothing I tried would get the power back on. I ended up unplugging it, which allowed me to turn the power on. Lost my settings.
What's the deal with that?
Thanks.

#54 ·
buy / rent

Are you guys buying or renting these units? I rent a Motorola 6416, and stopped by the Windsor Cogeco store in Devonshire mall... and the rep told me they aren't swapping the units for people with the old Moto's... She said they like to try to hold the new units for buyers rather than renters.

NOw, from my standpoint as a subscriber, I want the latest and greatest available. Thats the whole point of me renting, so I don't have to deal with defective units, and so I can have the latest and greatest! This just infuriated me. Anyone have any ideas? Do I start calling to complain about my unit in hopes they will replace it with a new model...

Also, for anyone renting this new RNG200N, is it the same rental price as the older Motos? $17.99 / month I believe...

Anyone know what they are selling them for?