Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Sony TV Rebooting With VIP 2262 PVR And HDMI

11K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  secotton 
#1 ·
Have had Fibe TV service for about 1.5 months now; really enjoying the service and no real complaints except this problem which I didn't seem to have at the beginning...started slowly...but seems to be happening more frequently now and and can be a real pain.

Have the VIP 2262 PVR connected to my Sony Z series LCD TV via HDMI cable; will be watching TV and the TV will reboot...and this will often go into a loop doing this.

Only thing I have found that sometimes fixes it is to do a reset on the PVR using the selection in the menu.

Have tried putting the PVR and TV on in different order; doesn't seem to make a difference.

Based on my reading on this forum, I understand that this is probably an HDMI incompatability between the PVR and the TV.

I believe the firmware on my tv is up to date; I had updated it several months ago to the one found on the Sony site; checking recently it still seems to be the current one.

Of course have never seen this issue on my PS3 which is also connected via HDMI. Gonna try swapping the cables to see if it makes any difference; maybe the HDMI cable has gone bad ? I doubt it ! ;)

Is my only solution to go to Compenent cables ? Will this make the picture I am seeing inferior ? I believe HDMI is digital and Component is analog.

I would not miss the audio coming via HDMI as I don't use it as I have an optical cable going from the PVR to my Denon...no hdmi capability on the Denon

Thanks.
Scooter62

See less See more
#4 ·
When you say the TV reboots, do you mean the TV powers off and on, or are you talking about the PVR rebooting? Are you using the remote when this happens?

HDMI devices can control each other through CEC, so be sure any features like Bravia Sync are turned off.

#7 ·
Rainey:

Thanks for the reply. This TV is about 2.5 year old; never seen this problem with it until the Bell Fibe TV PVR was hooked up.

Had my Bell 9200 and 9242 PVR's both hooked up to this TV with the same HDMI cables, and as mentioned previously, a PS3...and never an issue.

Thanks.

#9 ·
scooter62, did you check if Bravia Sync is turned off?

If that's not it, I would suspect a loose or cracked HDMI cable. Try a different cable and a different HDMI port on the TV, just to eliminate all the possibilities.

Component may be the only solution, which will still give you a very good HD picture.

#13 ·
Thanks 57 and Dr. Dave !

Found the sync menu button on the remote. Pressed it and said no hdmi devices synced...this is probably because I have removed the hdmi cable connection.

I noticed before that when pressing the power on button on the Fibe remote, the TV would come on as well...is this what we are talking about ? ....this can't be it....just tried the Fibe remote with no hdmi cable....and the PVR and TV still both come on at the same time.

Thanks.
Scooter62

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
VIP2262 Causing Sony LCD TV To Reboot

Reported this issue previously while using HDMI; switched to component and the problem continues to happen.

It is the TV rebooting, and the PVR stays on.
TV has latest firmware i believe as I downloaded it from the Sony site
and applied it some time ago.

It will work fine for a while and then all of a sudden the TV will start rebooting; once it starts, it seems to continue until turned off and left overnight. Starting it the next day; will run for a while and then it will start again.

1. Is this likely a problem with the VIP2262 or the Sony TV ?

Odd that I did not have this for the 1st week or two, and then it started happening.

2. Is it worth trying switching my two boxes to see if it does it ?
i.e. place the PVR downstairs and try the non pvr STB on the Sony TV
to see if it still reboots.

Thanks.
Scooter62

#15 ·
If you've disconnected the HDMI from the VIP2262, I can't see any way that that it could cause your TV to reboot over component cables. HDMI is a 2-way digital protocol which has commands to control other devices. Component is just an analog video signal and there's no way for the VIP2262 to control the TV.

It sounds like your TV is at fault. You could try switching the PVR and STB, but I can't see it making any difference.

#18 ·
Swapped the PVR and STB; same problem :( Tv reboots

Either something wrong with the TV or the TV does not like those Motorola boxes

Confirmed tv is still under (extended) warranty; I guess it is time to call the TV people ;)

Wondered about calling Bell about it....but figure they will just tell me it is the tv :D

Scooter62

#19 ·
Hey Scooter,
How are you buddy? Im sorry to hear that your still having the problems with the TV, I went online and looked up some stuff and came across this story, please read it all as it is very interesting and then the guy who had the problems tells what sony had to do to resolve the issue, maybe you can benefit from this story, Im inserting the link to it.. Good Luck buddy.

http://nerdboys.com/2010/12/23/does-your-sony-bravia-kdl-46w5100-tv-spontaneously-reboot/

#20 ·
I am good, buddy; how are you ?

Thanks for the link; I saw that one when I was researching the issue; very interesting !!

Thanks again !
Will be calling my extended warranty tv people and see where it takes us; will let you know how we make out. :D

Scooter62

#21 ·
Bell Fibe 2262 HDMI Problem

I just got Bell Fibre TV on Wednesday and am experiencing the following problem.
My Sharp TV will show a blue screen when first turned on and the audio is outputting fine through a Yamaha Surround Sound Receiver. There is an error message across the top of the screen which I have found out is sent by the Motorola VIP2262 stating "Unable to display video service over HDMI. HDCP link integrity check failed.(H1005)
Has anyone else run across this?
If you have, and solved the problem, I would like to hear what fixed it for you.
I have tried 4 different HDMI cables, and a couple of different HDMI inputs on my TV without any success.
I have tried to find information on what HDMI standard the VIP2262 outputs to see if it is compliant with my Sharp LC-46LE700UN. I have been unable to find this information for either the VIP2262 or my TV.
Bell suggested I use component cables which I do have.

#22 ·
#23 ·
John S - I have a Sharp TV at my parents place with Fibe, and it also didn't work properly with HDMI. There's something about the Sharp TV's the Motorolla boxes don't like...not sure what or why though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.