Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Fed Up With Sirius/XM

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  BingoRingo 
#1 ·
I have been a loyal customer for 7 years and have always paid full price on renewal. How does Sirius reward me? They have now moved the only 3 channels I regularly tune into in my car to Online Only. They are a waste of space to me now and I will be cancelling . Nice way to treat your customers Sirius. I hope you go bankrupt.

#3 ·
They just removed Sirius Progress (Liberal oriented US station) and
last month it was Sirius Pops. I forget the other one but it was a music station.
They told me that the stations I listen to are very low rated in terms of listeners
so they remove them so they have more room for another goofy Rap station or other
assorted drivel they specialize in. They now only cater to the younger demographic and
are in my opinion a waste of space. I am not paying 16.99 a month for one other station
I listen to. I am going to see if there is a simple way to get a US based subscription as I have a
friend there who pays 5.99 a month for 50 stations. Nice deal we ripped off Canadians are getting.
16.99 a month for squat.

#4 ·
The $5.99 a month for 50 stations is US only and only works with certain radios. I also believe the internet radio option is not available with it. I tried to get it once but "there were problems." It was either the radio, which was supposed to be compatible, or internet subscription. They never said. That being said, it's not difficult to get a discount. Many people never pay full price.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Sirius sent me an email last week and advised me my subscription will be renewed at $95 for six months after removing 3 channels I always listened to. No way I am paying that so I will phone them and ask for the $87 a year plan and if no go then I will just cancel. I am sure that within days they will be emailing me with offers to come back. I will let you know how it goes.

#7 ·
Acer, when you call SXM to cancel, you don't ever tell them you want the 87$ deal.

You just tell them you want to cancel at which point they'll switch you over to retention and then you can expect the price scale to go down. Just don't accept anything above 87$ that's all.

#12 ·
I just cancelled my subscription, when I couldn't get the $87.00 deal. I subscribed last Fall, after my free 3 month plan expired, and I negotiated down to the $87.00 deal. But now, after a year, the "best they could offer was $133.00", which I then said no thanks, disconnect me. They cautioned me that to reconnect, I'd have to pay a $90.00 connection fee. Yeah... we'll see... They need subscribers more than I need commercial-free radio that fades when I drive past a forest with tall trees.

#8 ·
Thanks CnannelMaster

Will do that and will let you know how it went. When my neighbour got the offer he did not even phone to cancel. He just had one of those free trial periods in a new car he bought and as it was due to expire in a month or so they just offered to extend it for a full year for 87 bucks. I guess the longer you are subscriber the more they just take it for granted you will pay full price. Sirius seems to treat their long term customers ( 7 years in my case and always paid listed prices) as sheep to be fleeced.

#9 ·
Hummm. Acer I beg to differ.I joined the XM nation back in 2001 and enjoyed the spoils while they lated cause XM was worth every penny up until the forsaken merger came about.

Since then (2009), I've been on retention and will only get off to cancel. In its current state, satellite radio is not a three-figure-worth source of entertainment, especially with such poor SQ.

I'm beginning to wonder if they'll ever grow out of that 1996-like RealAudio sound.

#11 ·
I renewed for the following reasons:

1. Cellular coverage is not everywhere in the mountains.
2. My $10/ month data plan is for just 100 MB and is 10 cents/ MB after that and I have zero data south of the border.
3. Radio coverage in the mountains is poor.
4. I Enjoy the commercial free music.
5. Changing the channel on the car radio is safer than on my phone while driving.
6. I enjoy play by play sports.

#13 ·
I got my answer from Sirius today...they will renew me at full listed price. That is what you get for being loyal to them. I was with them for 7 years and ALWAYS paid full price..the only thing I ever got was free activation when I first joined and who doesn't get that. Oh well...screw you Sirius...if you want me back it is minimum 50 % off.... Yeah they try to scare you with a ludicrous reconnection fee...fat chance that works.. I get a few decent FM stations where I live and the sound quality is so much better than Sirius and their laughable claims of CD like sound quality. Plus with 4 of my favorite stations moved to online only they are a waste of space to me now. Moral of the story is NEVER be loyal to one of these big telecoms as they will never reciprocate. They want your money and nothing else. End of Rant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.