Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

TC-P42X3, Netflix in Canada.

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  flavoie 
#1 ·
I just bought the TC-P42X2 for like $199.00...
Not a bad deal, for a bedroom TV....

It has an ethernet port and a netflix menu option...
However for some reason it is saying that netflix isn't available in Canada.

uhh.... Sure it is.

I'm wondering how to fix this..

This has to be a netflix licensing issue that was in effect at the time of the manufacturing of the TV... Perhaps at that time netflix wasn't ligit in Canada..

The setup asks for credit card information and then goes off to validate the card only to come back and say that netflix isn't available in my area.

So i suspect that the firmware was setup to ask for the CC holders country and if it wasn't USA to refuse... (Which by the way sounds like a real privacy issue if you ask me.)

So any thoughts? Any firmware upgrades either legit or hacked that might fix this?

By the way I installed iSedora on my MAC to stream via UPnP to the TV and that worked perfectly...

See less See more
#2 ·
I got this response recently, they don't think we're Netflix worthy to put the effort to get it working even on their new 2011 sets.
==
Thank you for your e-mail. Please be advised our 2011 televisions that support Easy IPTV or Viera Connect in Canada will not be compatible with Netflix as Netflix Canada has chosen a software protocol in Canada which isn't supported by our Viera TV product line up. One can get Netflix through our 2011 Panasonic Blu-ray Players connected to a Viera TV through HDMI.
==

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.