Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Is anyone getting CBC-HD in full wide-screen format?

10K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  Game1 
#1 ·
I'm in Fredericton. I'm now getting a local feed on ch. 514. It used to come out of Toronto.
Now, all programming on 514 is in small format, not 9:16 aspect ratio.
Am the only one getting this? If not, why aren't there more complaints.

#2 ·
There has been discussion at Bell Aliant FibreOP forum. See http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145463

CBC NB did broadcast in 16:9 for a few days after the digital switchover but then suddenly reverted to 4:3 with no explanation. After a few days of that Aliant took the local CBC feed off their assigned HD channel and reinstated the Toronto feed until CBC clears up the problem. I haven't seen anything yet as to exactly what the problem is. I e-mailed CBC asking for info and promised the FibreOP forum I would post any reply, but I never received any.

#3 ·
Hello boys - I'm back, HNIC

OK I can handle CBC news New Brunswick in 4:3 bit HNIC, really?

Why not give us the CBC Toronto feed until they get this fixed.

The crazy thing is it looks like its HD in 4:3 not 16:9 is that even possible, letter-boxed maybe but 4:3?

#6 ·
I just spoke to Rogers. They say that they can't change back to CBC Toronto due to CRTC rules.
So, it may be awhile before we get an HD wide-screen from ch. 514 CBC.
On a 52" screen the CBC looks pathetic. Hockey Night in Canada starts tonight. This is cruel and unusual punishment and we're paying a premium for it. I'm not a happy camper.

#16 ·
I emailed CBC last week, no answer yet, (re:4:3 aspect ratio)

I also notice that a lot of other shows have the small rectangle picture with black all around it. Now, in sd television, you're able to "zoom in" to effectively make it widescreen. CBC hd doesn't allow for that either. It's rather silly. The only channel with any problems. We pay a billion dollars a year to the CBC in tax money!!! A BILLION.

#17 ·
I called them last night too. Judging from the response I got on the phone they were getting a LOT of complaints about it the second the hockey season started. Maybe now it'll be a priority to get over to CBC and get it fixed, because it's totally unacceptable.

The only thing worse was Don Cherry's insane rambling.

#22 ·
cbc hd problem

I agree...contacted Rogers yesterday and advised i would change carriers as Bell switched back to Toronto feed.
They tried to through a few $$$ at me but i said it was not the $$$ but i would not put up with watching hockey in SD.

I will wait about a week and see what happens

I would suggest all New Brunswick Rogers customers call and complain and lets see what happens next week.

#24 ·
Another sweet HNiC game in sweet 4:3 standard definition on CBC HD New Brunswick! I can almost sort-of see where the stitching on the jerseys may be and kind of make out players' faces! My grandfather wishes he had this kind of television clarity, the finest in NTSC technology!

Anyway, I sent another complain to CBC Audience Relations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.