Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DP34 Switch

Tags
dp34
50K views 96 replies 24 participants last post by  Allan B 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A DP34 switch will also give four outputs. It requires the lnb(s) to be DP compliant however. You can use DP singles, DP duals, a DP twin or DP quad. You only need one line for 82 and one line for 91 coming into the house if you mount the switch indoors.

This switch does not require a power adaptor like the SW44. I have bought these switches off ebay for $25 and less (shipping included) from local sellers which makes them cheaper than SW44 switches which typically sell for $50.

This switch actually allows three inputs from three different orbital locations. This will be important if Bell gets a new orbital location in the next few years but currently all DP and DPP lnb's and switches are not sold by bell.

#58 ·
Cascading DP34 - new setup

HI,

I have been researching this forum and would like your opinon.

I will be using DPP Twin LNB as I have existing two lines entering my home with two DP34 swithches cascaded providing 8 outputs to the receivers. I like the DP34 due to two runs of cable will provide both birds, the cascading and power insertion is not required. I will have one 9241 and four 6131 receivers. Th 8 outputs from both DP34 should be sufficient but I only have an existing RG6 line to 9241. My question is can I add a DP separator to the RG line for the 9241 for the second tuner?

Do you see anything else which I may have to consider?

Thanks in advance.

#59 ·
My question is can I add a DP separator to the RG line for the 9241 for the second tuner?
No because by adding the DP Switch's you loose any advantage of the DPP LNBF, basically it reverts back to DP, so you would need a second line.

I believe that you can cascade a DP34 off a DPP44, that would give you 4 outputs that can feed a Dual Tuner Receiver, on the DPP44 with the use of a Seperator and 4 other feeds from the DP34.

#60 ·
Thanks, that makes sense. I am trying to avoid a DPP-44 as it costs more than the DP-34. Either that or run another RG6 line to the 9241's second tuner and stick with cascading the two DP-34 switches. Hmm....let me ponder the options.

Also, since Bell does not support DP or DPP at this time, do I have to worry about the firmware on the receivers (9241, 6131)? What are the chances of Bell customizing their firmware so it does not work with DP or DPP switches?

I suppose cascading SW-44 would also be cheaper but more cabling would be required as I would have to run 2 more lines to the SW-44.. :confused::confused:

#61 ·
Bell does surpport dp/dpp they have been using them since this spring (DPP twin LNBs and dpp separators, but no dpp44's). And the firmware would of always supported it regardless as it is written for Echostar Dishnet boxes, modified for Bell.

Just buy a dpp44.

#62 ·
As nic78 says, the DPP LNBF and Seperator are now now deployed for Dual Tuner Installations so any worries about DPP being omitted from the firmware by Bell should now be a thing of the past.

nic78, I appreciate what you say about the software being provided by Bell but then modified by Bell, it is this modification that could have had lots of us come unstuck with DPP or even DP, as it was not officially supported it also created problems when calling Tech Support, who had no clue what it was. Now they most likely still do not know what it is but hopefully there is something in their scripts about it.

Just think back to when Bell tried to roll out the Guide with 4 digits, it crashed just about all the PVR's and lets face it, Echostar and through them Dish had been using the 4 digit Guide for months if not years, when Bell manged to screw it up. So it was possible that they omitted a line of code, thinking no-one in Canada used DP/DPP.

#63 ·
DP vs DPP

Sorry if this is already answered and I have part of the answer but I was wondering what are all the advantages of using DPP vs DP? My perception and looking on ebay and other sites, DPP switches are costlier and it seems DP switches are more available.

#66 ·
mkey,

Using any of those will have no effect on signal. If you use any kind of switch after like the DP34, DPP33, DPP44 then again either of those will be fine. If however you do not plan to use a switch and have a dual tuner receiver which you would like to run one line to then a DPP twin is obviously the best. If using any switch and you can run 4 lines I personally believe the DP quad is the most robust.

Q

#67 ·
dp34 switch

I have a dishpro quad lnb and 1 dual tuner 9242 and 2 3100 bell receivers. From what I understand from research I run 2 cables from each satellite 82 and 91 to the house and connect them to a dp34 switch. Then I run 2 cables from the dp34 to my 3100's. The problem is I have only 1 cable running to the wall where my dual tuner will be. I can run 1 short cable from the wall to the dual tuner but I need a switch to connect the second cable to the dual tuner as well. I do not want to run a second cable from my panel to where the dual tuner will be so what switch do I require there? Also if I have a 4th tv that I want to run from the dual tuner what switch will I need since there will be already 4 cables connected to the dp34 switch?

#68 ·
Replace the DishPro Quad LNB with the new Bell DishPro PLUS (DPP) Quad LNB and buy a DishPro Separator.

The DPP Quad has a built-in switch and 4 outputs.

Each output will support a Dual-Tuner receiver when a DishPro Separator is installed at the back of your Dual-Tuner.

#69 ·
I thought the dishpro quad lnb had a built in switch so you could run cables to directly to the single receivers and 2 cables going to a dish pro separator for the dual. I do not want to buy another lnb so just want to confirm the setup for the lnb I have. Also my question is where the dual receiver will be at I only have one coax connection at the wall and do not want to run another cable through the wall so would a dish pro separator work to connect the second cable to the dual receiver?

#70 ·
There is no such beast as a DP Separator, it is a DPP Separator, so the short answer to your question is NO, you cannot add one to your DP Quad feed.

#71 ·
Pinza is correct. The Separator is actually called a DishPro PLUS Separator (or DPP Separator).

I'm getting lazy in my old age.

Your Quad LNB is NOT a PLUS LNB, meaning you CANNOT use a DPP Separator with it.

Instead, you must use a DishPro PLUS (DPP) Quad LNB made exclusively for Bell.

It has 4 outputs and a built-in switch.

You will use two outputs for your two 3100's.

You will use one output for your dual-tuner PVR. A single cable goes to your PVR, a DPP Separator is attached to the rear of your PVR (it has two short pigtails that attach to both inputs), and the incoming single cable is attached to the DPP Separator.

Going this route will allow you to use just one cable to operate the dual-tuner PVR.

This would leave you with one remaining outout on your LNB for a 4th receiver.

You have to understand that the DP Quad LNB you currently have IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than a DPP Quad LNB.

They look the same, but they are not!

Hope this info helps.

#72 ·
Okay the guy that sold me the dish pro quad lnb which has 4 outputs on it said I do not need any switch as it is built in already and that I can run 3 cables from the lnb to each receiver and it will work. So I just want to confirm this is correct so I do not need to buy a dish pro plus lnb? He said this will pick up 82 and 91 satellites.

#73 ·
So I just want to confirm this is correct so I do not need to buy a dish pro plus lnb? He said this will pick up 82 and 91 satellites.
You need to only acquire from Bell the DPP Quad, it will pick up both 82W and 91W locations. You will need a DPP separator on for any dual tuner receiver you use to split the single cable feed into two right at the receiver end as mentioned in previous posts.

#75 ·
Okay I think I figured it out. Please correct me if I am wrong. I will buy a dish pro plus quad lnb. I will have two cables running direct from the dish to two single 3100's. I will have a 3rd cable coming from the lnb to a dpp separator and then one cable going from this to my wall jack where my dual tuner is. Another cable from the dpp separator to my 4th tv that I want to run off my dual receiver. Then behind my dual receiver a second dpp separator to connect 2 short cables to my dual tuner. So basically one dpp separator in my garage to run a tv without a receiver off my dual and a second dpp separator to feed both satellites at the receiver. So this should run 4 tv's.

#76 ·
NO.

You are CORRECT about the 3100's, so lets forget those.

The Dual Tuner will have 1 line from the DPP Quad to the Wallplate at the rear of the Dual Tuner PVR, from that wallplate you will most likely need a short jumper connected to the DPP Separator, the 2 outputs of this Separator will connect to the 2 Inputs on the Dual Tuner Receiver.

If you then want to run a TV2 from the Dual Tuner PVR and you do NOT want another cable through the wall, you will need to use a Diplexer.

#79 ·
If the tv2 is on the back of the 9242 I do not want to run a cable from my bedroom to my living room that is why I am asking if the diplexer or some kind of switch is available to connect my 2nd tv to the dual so I can watch 2 different programs on each of the tv's at the same time.

#80 ·
It is hard to follow just what you have now.

The TV2 Output is on the rear of the 9242, if you want to feed that signal to another TV, you need an RG6 cable between the 2 points, unless you invest in a system that can do that via wireless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.