Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

QC - City of Montréal - OTA (CLOSED - Please see FINAL POST)

366K views 1K replies 173 participants last post by  stampeder 
#1 ·
QC - City of Montréal - OTA (CLOSED - Please see FINAL POST)

I Just Have New Hdtv, and I Don't Know How Can I Get Hd Channel Ota. i Am In Montreal. Please Anyone Can Help Me?
Thanks

#28 ·
In Montreal - which antenna to get for analogue VHF/UHF?

noobie here, i want to buy an antenna for my ANALOG, yes analog TV. I live in montreal and don't have cable, yet i can get the local channels. Now ABC i can detect, but the reception is not good at all...snowy and noise, but it's there.

I basically want a strong VHF/UHF antenna. I'm sure i'll have hdtv in the near future, but i want to know what is a good indoor antenna for analog reception.

I read about terk TV5 supposedly being pretty good, i've read only a few bad ones. I want to try the RCA one, but i don't want to waste my money...any suggestions about the models?

thx

TV5
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14204&langId=-1

RCA
http://accessories.rca.com/en-US/modeldetail.html?maincat=Antennas&subcat=Amplified+TV+Antennas&modelnum=ANT501

#30 ·
thanks stampeder, i'll check it out...

edit: great i would have could have won an ebay auction just last night for the RCA ant501, but i'm glad i didn't bid... i didn't know the silver sensor was a "top brand" for indoor antennas....i'll look for that one instead. Thanks a bunch.

#31 ·
Just remember that most Zenith Silver Sensors and clones of it are UHF only, so you'd have to look for the Terk ZSS clone that has VHF aerials on it too. Another option for an indoor VHF/UHF antenna that other DHCers have liked is the Winegard SharpShooter. Read through this thread from the beginning for more Montreal area info too.

Which part of Montreal are you in?

#32 ·
Downtown Montreal

yeah i noticed the zenith was UHF only...

i receive the local channels ok, but i have an RF RFU Switch Unit Adapter for super nintendo connected to the back of my TV. i'm not sure if you're familiar with that, but for some reason it works to give you better reception of channels... now if i keep this behind my tv, then i don't think i need a VHF antenna, do I?

i'd much prefer, however to have a singular setup that would allow consistency across VHF and UHF. i'll take a look at the antennas you suggested.

i live in downtown montreal, and there are higher buildings that obstruct signal paths. i'm on the ground level...

#33 ·
important question i forgot to ask...

ok, so UHF are the channels 14 (or something)-69...

but is this apply to the condition of haveing cable or regardless of it (the tv channels themselves)?

see i don't have cable, and the station ABC is on 72, and Global CH is 118....these stations would obviously not be at the same channel with cable TV. So, does this mean that the antenna won't pic up these channels b/c i don't have cable, or does the UHF range apply to the would-be channels if i did have cable?

#34 ·
soyboy said:
important question i forgot to ask...
Here's a chart that shows how TV channels are laid out: http://www.tinlee.com/FreqChart.htm

To sum up that chart, it shows that OTA TV channels and CATV (Cable) channels use mostly the same channels but with their own signals (programming). This means that when you are using OTA, forget everything you know about Cable such as channel numbers, etc. and stick to OTA. When you are using Cable, forget about the same OTA info. They overlap and don't work with eachother. For example, Channel 41 OTA might be a local station, while Channel 41 on Videotron might be a U.S. station.

People in this thread have posted which UHF OTA channels to look for in the Montreal area, but you are Downtown so I don't expect you'll get any stations outside of Montreal.

Does that help?

#35 ·
it sort of helps. but i'm still a little confused... i also tried looking through this thread, but i'm not really following

on my TV:

TQS = 68
TVA =10
SRC =02
TQS =86
ABC =72
Global Quebec/montreal =102
Global CH =118
??? = 84

what i'm trying to understand now is if the above channels where the stations are (on my TV set), are simply arbitrary, and do not relate to VHF/UHF....

meaning that because UHF reaches 69, that doesn't mean that those stations that are above 69 on my TV set will not be improved/received...that each station out there is "registered" to a specific VHF or UHF channel that operates independently of what it happens to be on your TV set.

#37 ·
oh ok...i'll check it out. i'm not aware of any switch on my tv though. i have 2 in my home (they're probably mid 90s tube TVs), but i don't remember ever seeing a switch...maybe there is a menu i need to get to on the remote. i'll investigate. thanks

i actually had found the menu option for OTA and changed it... my global is now 46 and global CH is 62. i can't find ABC, maybe because the reception is just to poor to detect which channel it should be on. I'll try and find what channel should be where.

i get the VHF/UHF channels now...it's directly related to the OTA channels.

#39 ·
foxfan said:
ABC analog is on 22.
yup, i see it... i see what corresponds to Fox on 44, and PBS on 57... abc comes "clearer" on my TV now than when the tuner was on Cable mode.

it's a 21" Sears TV that i have in my room, so i guess i'll buy a small antenna...perhaps the RCA 501.

but i have another question... lets say i have all the channels i need on VHF... ie. CTV, CBC, SRC. now these channels are pretty clear, but on occasion there is ghosting, or the picture/color is "wavy". Now if I use the Zenith SS (being UHF only) will those stations remain the same, meaning that i wouldn't be able to improve the reception?

thanks

#40 ·
soyboy said:
...I have all the channels i need on VHF... ie. CTV, CBC, SRC. now these channels are pretty clear, but on occasion there is ghosting, or the picture/color is "wavy".
That is classic "multipath" interference occurring. It is typical of urban environments with tall buildings and other signal reflection-causing things. An indoor antenna will always be more subject to that than an outdoor one. Elevators moving up and down in those buildings can even cause that for brief periods.

To answer your question, an all-UHF indoor antenna will kill off any VHF signal you get. Some people are having good luck with the Winegard Sharp Shooter, which gets both VHF and UHF. I doubt that you'll be able to conquer the multipath problems without a lot of experimentation moving your antenna around to different spots.

#42 ·
i just received my terk hdtvi, and it's amazing!

i have very good reception of pbs, and much improved of abc. i don't think i've ever seen global as clear as i do now.

i managed to get better reception even with my tv set on CATV mode...go figure.

thanks for the recommendation of this antenna stampeder...

#43 ·
Plateau de Montreal OTA to Vermont Public Television

My name is John, and I'm new to this Forum. I just purchased a Sony KD34XS955 with a ATSC tuner and I was able to pick up HDTV on SRC channel 21 in Montreal crystal clear with nothing but a 6 ft coaxial cable stuck in the anntenna input. In fact, the signal from Mt-Royal is so strong here that I have RF problems on my stereo : I live near the corner of St-Laurent-St-Joseph in Mile End. I'm interested in picking up the HDTV from Burlington -- in particular PBS. I'm assuming that the Mountain and its TV tower will block signals from Plattsburgh. Should I be worried about overloading my tuner with signals from the Moutain if I try a directional UHF antenna without an amp pointing towards Mt Mansfield? I estimate that that directional axis would be around 70 or 80 degrees east of the Mt Royal TV tower. I'm in a condo on the third floor; I can't mount an antenna on the roof, but I have an unimpeded view of the Cartier Bridge through my window, I have a loft with a lot of ceiling space, and that's where I intend to put the antenna.
Many thanks -- it was exciting to get that first OTA image. Much better than DVD !

#44 ·
toxiccello

SRC 2-1 and CBC 6-1 are actually transmitting from the CBC building rooftop
near Jacques Cartier bridge. There is no digital transmission from Mt Mansfield yet, they (WVNY WPTZ WETK WFFF WCAX) are in the process of building new common facilities and the rumor is that they might start testing next fall. PBS WCFE 57-1 57-2 uhf 38 is being transmitted from Mt Lyon.
From your location to get SRC and CBC you should aim at Jacques Cartier bridge.
To get Mt Mansfield it would be about 50 degrees to the right and to get Mt Lyon it would be another 40 degrees to the right.
One way to find the direction to Mt Mansfield is to tune to WVNY analog 22 then move antenna until you get best picture take note of the position of the antenna and then tune to WCFE analog 57 then move antenna and again take note of new position when you get best picture. Then you can try to tune to uhf 38 for WCFE-DT.
Good luck.

#45 ·
Anjou (Montreal) - Which Antenna/Which Channels?

I'm new to this forum but I've been reading a lot on it and find the info here is great. I will be moving soon to my new house and am thinking of installing an antenna. Also, am getting a new HDTV. Any particular models that work great? I was thinking of a sharp... I know I need the ATSC Tuner.

Since I live in Anjou, I'd like to know what channels I can get and which antenna I should go for.

For regular channels (analog), I know I can get:

02 - CBFT (SRC)
06 - CBMT (CBC)
10 - CFTM (TVA)
12 - CFCF (CTV)
17 - CIVM (Télé-Québec)
29 - CFTU (Canal Savoir)
35 - CFJP (TQS)
46 - CKMI (Global)
62 - CJNT (CH)

Is this right? And can I get any other analog channels?

For HD channels (digital), I know I can get:

19 - CBFT (SRC)
20 - CBMT (CBC)
57 - WCFE (PBS)

Same question: Is this right? And can I get any other digital channels?

For the antenna now.

On this thread I saw a lot of mention on the Channel Master 4228. Would this be the best for my area? This antenna is only for UHF... but I read on another website that it still manages to get decent signal from VHF. Is this true?

I would want an antenna that would give me the most channels possible, meaning montreal and USA. Do I need to get a rotor or other stuff?

#46 ·
vw4life said:
For regular channels (analog), I know I can get:

02 - CBFT (SRC)
06 - CBMT (CBC)
10 - CFTM (TVA)
12 - CFCF (CTV)
17 - CIVM (Télé-Québec)
29 - CFTU (Canal Savoir)
35 - CFJP (TQS)
46 - CKMI (Global)
62 - CJNT (CH)

Is this right? And can I get any other analog channels?
With an antenna, you should also get CJSS(CJOH)-8, CHLF(TFO)-39 and CICO(TVO)-48, along with the US channels.

For HD channels (digital), I know I can get:

19 - CBFT (SRC)
20 - CBMT (CBC)
57 - WCFE (PBS)

Same question: Is this right? And can I get any other digital channels?
WCFE-DT is on channel 38.

That should be it for now, I guess... until the birds are gone from Mt. Mansfield.

-gmd

#47 ·
From anjou maybe you should get:

7 CHLT - TVA sherbrook
8 CJOH - CTV Cornwall
8 CHEM - TVA Trois-Rivières
9 CKSH - SRC Sherbrook
11 ckmi - don't know
13 CKTM - SRC Trois-Rivières
24 CIVS - TQc Sherbrook
30 CFKS - TQS Sherbrook

with good antenna:
27 WWBI-LP (low power from plattsburg)
39 W39AS (same as 52)
52 WWIN - WB (don't think it's WB anymore)

And if anyone is interested I put a page that I made in 1998.
this is all the station that I ever catch in saint-jean-sur-richelieu.

http://webhome.look.ca/~vitesse/ (in french)
same but in english, translated by google

#48 ·
Src-hd

Am I the only one to get big variations in the strengh of SRC/CBC's signal?

I use a Nexxtech amplified indoor antenna aimed at the Radio-Canada hq. When I was living on the other side the building I had a direct line of sight from the 6th floor. Now, I face west and I am on the 4th floor.

Last night, I oriented the antenna in order to get a 77% signal. This morning, I only get 44% on SRC but CBC still get 74%.

I don't understand!

#49 ·
SRC-HD Signal variation

Hello, I do have the same problem from time to time, I do not play with the antenna and signal comes back to normal, and this only with RC ( CBC is rock steady ). Since both RC and CBC are using the same tower ( maybe someone can confirm this... ) and that the frequencies ( channels ) are next to each one, I would suspect that the problem is either with RC, or there is sporadic interference on UHF 19 in the path, RC - home.

squidymtl, where do you live?

Cheers,

P.S. either of these problems, there is not much we could do about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.