Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Kinect for Xbox 360

11K views 59 replies 25 participants last post by  Danster 
#1 ·
At the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles (E3), Microsoft announced Kinect for Xbox 360, a controller-free gaming device that is expected to compete with Sony's upcoming Move controllers.

Formerly know by the code name Project Natal, Microsoft touts the device as superior to the competitionb because Kinect enables users to control and interact with the Xbox 360 without the need to actually touch a game controller.

The black Kinect device plugs directly into the Xbox 360. Inside the device is a camera, audio sensors, and motion-sensing technology that tracks 48 points of movement on the human body. Rather than pressing buttons or moving a controller, Kinect lets users interacts with Kinect enabled games by using gestures, spoken commands or presented objects and images.

Kinect for XBox 360 is expected to launch later this year with approximately twelve game titles.

#4 ·
I'm disappointed in what I've seen so far. The tech is cool, but the games are all casual. That's not neccesarily a bad thing, but I'd like to see something included for core gamers. The Wii already has the casual market covered. Do Grandma and Grandpa want a second game console to wave their arms at? Not likely. The core gamers might want something to add a bit of casual play to their Xbox 360, but if this isn't priced significantly less than a Wii I think it will be a tough sell. It's also interesting that they didn't mention a price. Maybe they're waiting to see what Nintendo does and how Sony prices the Move.

#6 ·
The timing is excellent to capitalise on the holiday season, though. If Sony can't meet the same time frame, MS stands to take back their prior market position.

+1 to Uber's comment --- They better have a title to appeal to their core audience. I don't think they stand to get any new business from casual gamers who want a motion controller. They would just buy a Wii for less money and no monthly fee.

#8 ·
I agree that there is great potential. I think that's why so many people seem disappointed with what MS showed at E3. The casual stuff certainly has a market, but nobody in that market is at E3 or followng news about E3. They won't hear about it until they see advertisements or their gaming friends mention it. Microsoft should have done something to get their audience excited so that they would tell their friends about it. If any of my non-gamer friends were to ask me about it, I would either say "Get a Wii" or "You've already got a Wii, just use that." The technology is somewhat new, but the applications they're showing for it are hardly ground breaking.

#9 ·
#10 ·
I don't totally get it. Would a casual gamer who's into the Wii want to pay $299 for a console and an extra $149 for the peripheral you need to make it casual??

If anything, it would only appeal to current 360 owners. I might end up getting it just because I need something casual at home. I don't have a Wii and don't want one. I have a 360 and PS3 for serious gaming. Kids are too young for the controls, so it's nice to have something casual available.

But, I'll make my choice based on the Move vs Kinect. I guess Move will have better games, but then you need so many expensive controllers for a group to play.

#11 ·
They had nothing "wow" to show off at E3 which is disappointing. Unless they can pull off some really cool tricks with the Kinect I can see it failing. It needs to have full XMB integration including being able to turn off/on the system with a gesture imo.

In general I get a bad vibe. MS seems to be very careful about how close they let people get to it like they don't want you to see the man behind the curtain. Let's see what Sony shows with the Move. I expect controllers being thrust into the hands of the audience.

#12 ·
I think the real moment of truth will come out once independent reviewers get to try this in real-world spaces, not the huge demo spaces we've seen so far.

If it truly needs four metres to be be fully utilised, that's not going to fit your typical teen bedroom or even modest family room.

As far as the technology goes, I get the fact that it recognises 48 nodes on the human body, but what about other objects? Like the fretboard of a guitar, or the end of a rifle?

#13 · (Edited)
I would like to see more of the casual games for the Xbox - if this works as shown - I would sell my wii. More kids friendly, family friendly games would be a bonus. I like the idea of using it for video playback as well - that is a 2nd big use for our Xbox. Now - let me hold a stick from the yard to play "cops and robbers" or COD with Kinect- that would sell me right there.

One of the biggest issues for Canada with all the new features coming to Xbox - is that we don't get them - Netflix -etc. Hopefully we don't miss out portions with Kinect as well.

#14 ·
check out the official xbox website,
some good video of it,

looks cool, but I think as far as price point, I can't see a casual buying this and a 360 over a wii,

as a current 360 owner, I can for sure see myself buying 1 these,
even if its just for casual use,

it might not be there yet, but I can see this as being a big push in a different direction of gaming that the wii started

#15 ·
Retailers have begun listing Kinect games and they are priced at $60 each. The listings for Kinect show it for $150 and do not mention any bundled games. If Microsoft really isn't bundling any games, then that makes the cost $210 to get the hardware and one game assuming you already have an Xbox 360. That's the same cost as a Wii console with two games. If this is all correct, Microsoft will have a really hard time convincing the casual audience to purchase it. I also have to wonder how many poeple would pay $60 for Kinect Joy Ride.

#16 ·
I'm not trashing the technology or the company but, from a business perspective, I can't see this as being a smash hit for MS.

I just see this as a bit "too late," a bit "me too" and not of great interest to the average Xbox 360 owner.

Say what you want about the Wii, but when it came out, it was revolutionary and everyone who saw it was excited about it. The response this week among the media to Kinect has been lukewarm. You could argue that its because the media is jaded but that same argument could have been made when the Wii came out.

From a personal perspective, and as noted by many, the list of launch titles seem gimmicky or clones of Wii games. They need something really cool for me to want to spend $600 (new xbox 360 + kinect + 1 game + taxes).

#19 ·
Say what you want about the Wii, but when it came out, it was revolutionary and everyone who saw it was excited about it. The response this week among the media to Kinect has been lukewarm.
I agree. The Wii was a novelty when it came out and there was nothing else like it. Now most of the casual market has played a Wii and likely already has one based on the impressive sales. I just don't see that much in their launch software that differentiates it from the party games that people are getting bored with from years of Wii games. They're pricing it for the hardcore gamer who is willing to spend to get more out of their existing system, but marketing it to the casual audience who just wants something fun to jump into.

#17 ·
Well to be fair you could say almost the same about the PS3 move. Too little to late. I will wait to see the price point before passing judgment. Not sure where you are getting the $600 +tax from?

Arcade - $199
Kinect - $150
Game - $60

$409 plus tax

You do not need the new 360 to use Kinect.

#18 ·
Well to be fair you could say almost the same about the PS3 move
But this is a thread about Kinect so I'll reserve my PS3 Move comments for PS3 move discussion ;) I'm just saying I cant' see this being a runaway hit, I'm no ******, just a guy who wonders if this will this be successful from a profit and loss perspective.

My calculation: New Xbox $299 + Kinect $150 + Game $60 = $509 plus 13% = $575. Add in another controller and you'd be over $600. That's also assuming the Cdn prices equal the U.S. prices.

I took the new Xbox price because that is probably what MS will be selling in November when Kinect reaches stores and at that point I'd be spending the extra $100 and buying the new Xbox 360. I guess some would opt for Arcade but my guess is more people would opt for the "new" xbox.

#20 ·
Good points.

If the purpose of Kinect is to go "downmarket" and attract the casual gamer, this is a fail.

If, though, they intend to leverage the technology to improve the gaming experience for their core demographic, this thing might give the X360 enough legs to remain viable for the planned lifecycle.

Problem is, they don't seem to be positioning it that way.

#21 ·
By the time Kinect is released, there will probably be a second SKU for the new unit (given that once current stock of the Arcade and Elite consoles run out, they're gone). There will also be a Kinect bundle for $399 so you'll save money there. As for another controller, you'd only need that for local multiplayer (not Kinect) games.

#22 ·
#23 ·
Well, I'm going to buy Kinect.

I have a three-year-old, and I want to hold off "real" videogames for a few years. I think jumping around in front of the TV doesn't really count.

Also, my wife likes dancing and fitness games. Both the Harmonix dance game and the Ubisoft fitness game are getting rave previews from E3 this week. Gizmodo goes as far as saying that neither Wii nor Move could match the immersion that these two games offer on Kinect.

I'm hearing that the Wii knockoffs don't fare quite as well, but I'm sure we'll have fun playing Adventures, Sports and Joy Ride.

I see a poor winter approaching!

#24 ·
There will also be a Kinect bundle for $399 so you'll save money there.
Has that been announced or a guess? Of course, even at $399, it would be twice the price of a Wii which appears to the the audience they seem to be aiming at for with this.

#25 ·
In the videos I saw so far there seemed to be a bit of lag between your actual movements and the console actually processing them and doing something about it. I'll reserve final judgement for when I actually try it myself but so far from what I have seen and read this has absolutely no appeal to me (and please don't be offended if this does appeal to you, I'm just another guy on the Internet)...

Sorry MS, I can't blame you for trying to tap into that huge revenue pot created by the Wii but IMO this won't go anywhere. It's about the money this time, not the gamers.

#26 ·
I was psyched after last year's E3 Natal debut but the games shown for the Kinect are a real disappointment.

As others have said, casual gamers have already bought into the Wii. If they haven't yet and want to jump in the cost for the Kinect will be a big impediment over just buying a Wii.

360 gamers have been labelled "hard core gamers." While there will certainly be a market for casual gaming amongst 360 owners I think the majority will hold off on Kinect until some "hardcore" games are introduced.

That being said... if the price is right ($50 for the device...) it becomes a novelty that will readily be purchased by current owners and may secure the 360s position in the living room thru the rest of this generation.

#27 ·
I'm with Bdub on this one, I have a 4 year old son and a baby boy and haven't bought even a Wii because controllers just aren't intuitive for young kids. Even the Wii takes some effort to get into the game control scheme. I can only imagine my hyperactive little boy jumping around in front of the TV with the Kinect! I believe the games will obviously improve... it hasn't even been released yet for crying out loud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.