Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

TiVos for HD OTA in Canada

Tags
tivo
359K views 1K replies 137 participants last post by  Jase88 
#1 ·
all of these DVD recorders seem to record in either EDTV or SDTV but not HDTV
To record HDTV you're not going to get much on a single layer DVD (cheapest media). If you're going to use DL you might as well get a BDU subscription, because at current prices if you record a few one hour shows per week, you could almost get a HD PVR from a BDU.

I'm hoping (fingers crossed behind back) that someone will come out with a HDTV PVR with an ATSC tuner - other than the Tivo 3 (which stampeder I think you forgot to mention in the list above). At least one DHCer (Dajad) is using a Tivo 3 as his ATSC tuner/PVR. Unfortunately, and I'm really not trying to troll here, the Tivo 3 IMHO is overpriced for Canadians as we cannot (legally) take advantage of all the functionality the Tivo3 offers. Still a great STB /PVR for those who can afford it.

cheers,
99gecko

#1,266 ·
Does anyone know if the EPG in the Tivo Roamio OTA will support Canadian listings? I live in Vancouver so in addition to all the usual Canadian broadcasters I can also receive KOMO, KIRO, KVOS and KBTC stations.
I'm looking for a DVR/PVR solution with a reliable EPG, so I don't mind paying for that.
Thanks in advance.

#1,267 ·
Have a look at https://www.tivo.com/tivo-tco/tvlistings.do to see what you will receive as far as guide listings are concerned.

In Toronto we have a similar situation as we get both the Canadian AND U.S. listings. It is all based on the postal code you put in when you set up. I have the Premiere but I wouldn't think for a moment that the Roamio wouldn't get the same listings.

If you are shopping for a Roamio, make sure you get the 4 tuner model or the lesser "Roamio OTA" as they are the only Roamios that accept OTA input.

In my humble opinion, the 2 week TiVo guide setup is worth the subscription. Hint...get the lifetime, it's pricey but works out the best in the long run.

#1,268 ·
Perfect. Thank you MapMaker. Of course Canadian post code didn't work but I entered the ZIP for Blaine, WA and all the Canadian listings appeared :)

One final question. Can I use a Canadian credit card for payment? I seem to remember years ago when I had a Series 2 that Canadians had to enter a specific ZIP code?

Thanks for your help.

#1,270 ·
Yes, the border situation is a bit weird. TiVo accepted the fact that I was in Canada, and accepted my Canadian Credit Card for U.S. Dollars, but couldn't enter a Canadian address for shipping or billing purposes.

When I bought my Premiere directly from TiVo in early 2013, the only way they could enter my billing address was as "Toronto, On <Postal Code> LARAMIE, WY 82070" even though the shipping address was to Niagara Falls NY. So, in effect, I had 3 different addresses!

#1,271 ·
The Roamio gets the same guide as my premiere.
When I first posted my Roamio question, I also pinged TiVo... not expecting a reply. But they did. Here's what they said...

"Entering "98230" would bring up channel information for Blaine, WA 98230. Local Antenna broadcast information would be available for that zip code only, no Canadian broadcast information will be recognized, pulled, or decoded through that Antenna. As you mentioned the TiVo Series2 units were able to decode that information unrestricted, the Roamio OTA model would be unable to pull this channel information. I do apologize."

It seems odd that TiVo would go to the effort of deliberately crippling Canadian broadcasts. For example, Americans living near the border might be interested in Canadian broadcasts?

Either way, if anyone with a Roamio can confirm that they get complete listings, that would be superb.

Thanks in advance.

#1,272 ·
That is strange because I recall keying in zip code 13669 which is an American zip code close to the border where I live and the tivo brought up both the U.S. and Canadian stations. Since my antenna is indoors I could not pick up the U.S. stations so I went back to using my Canadian postal code which does not include the U.S. channels. I'm too far from the border (about 1 hour of highway driving).

#1,274 ·
Captain Semtex:
"Entering "98230" would bring up channel information for Blaine, WA 98230. Local Antenna broadcast information would be available for that zip code only, no Canadian broadcast information will be recognized, pulled, or decoded through that Antenna. As you mentioned the TiVo Series2 units were able to decode that information unrestricted, the Roamio OTA model would be unable to pull this channel information. I do apologize."
I have a feeling that the operative phrase is "the Roamio OTA model". If you check out this model you will notice that it is quite different from the other Roamio models. Beyond being $100 cheaper, one strange difference is that you cannot purchase lifetime service. It is also completely missing from the Roamio model comparison list. All clues that would make me avoid this model.

On the other hand I have read nothing but praise for the basic Roamio model.

#1,278 ·
Having just purchased a TiVo Roamio and a TiVo Mini, I have (of course) learned a few things that I didn't expect.

First of all, I should report my belief that the 4 Roamio tuners are better than the 2 Premiere tuners.

I checked both units separately using the same antenna lead and network cable. First the Premiere received 24 channels and then the Roamio received 30 channels. That statement on it's own is very misleading though because the 6 channels were actually representing 1 channel (ION) comprised of sub-channels 51.1, 51.2, 51.3, 51.4, 51.5, and 51.6.

Second, I didn't realize that all I needed to receive my TiVo OTA in different rooms in my house was wired network access. For some dumb reason I was thinking I needed my antenna as well.

The big plus in this is that I don't have to degrade my OTA signal with splitters and distribution amps. The conventional manner of distributing OTA signals could easily end up with significant signal losses for anyone wanting to split their OTA all over the house. Using TiVo Minis might be a way for anyone with weak signals to distribute the existing signals to numerous TV receivers.

This may all be old hat to some of you, but it was pleasant news to me.

#1,280 ·
how many people pay into the subscription? I'm going to drop rogers on their ass for OTA HD antenna (living in North Ajax, so i believe is should get fairly strong signal) however in searching for a DVR box - i found Tivo! Seems like the OTA model is the cost effective way to go over the 300+ Channel Master DVR. my question at 15 US a month - 180ish a year, is the subscription neccessary and worth it? Can I still record or is that part of the paid service? If i do pay for it, can i record shows while i'm not home like a normal DVR? Sorry for the newb question here.

#1,282 ·
The subscription gives you the program guide information and pays for software updates. The program guide is the real value in a DVR.

Without a subscription you might be able to make it act like a dumb VCR where you schedule recordings by date and time. The older TiVos worked like this, I don't know if the latest ones do.

#1,284 ·
the cheapest Roamio $199 still has the lifetime option from what i can tell
you can always look for a used Premiere/Roamio w/lifetime

mark

i don't think there is any comparison between the Tivo and the Channel Master
the Tivo is the only device i use
check out PyTivo for watching downloaded material on the Tivo - has played everything i have ever downloaded

#1,287 ·
A major US electronics outlet has the base Roamio model on sale right now for $50 off so now would be a good time to pull the trigger if you are considering it. And go for the lifetime.

From what I gather from my research, the Roamio OTA is being marketed to 20-something cable-never-hads (as opposed to cable cutters) - that is, the people who line up for the new cell phone every year. Business model works very much like a cell phone - sell it for nothing or next to nothing then get them on the monthly fee. Next year (or the year after) they'll come up with a new and improved Roamio OTA (eg. larger hard drive, more tuners). They'll simply pay a small upgrade fee and trade in the old one.

#1,288 ·
Hi Ash146

I recently purchased a Roamio OTA. You can use it without a subscription just like an old manual VCR. No EPG, no apps etc.

I dropped Telus Optik TV in favour of OTA HD. I assumed I was going to need a US credit card or US IP address etc... but no... TiVo works perfectly in Canada.

The subscription is definitely worth it for the reliable EPG, the apps (eg Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Spotify etc etc) and the excellent TiVo suggestions where TiVo records stuff it thinks you might like based on how you rate programs you watch. It's rather good.

I'm saving $70 per month by cutting the cord with Telus so I have no problem with paying $15.

Worth noting that lifetime is only good for the lifetime of the TiVo box... so you really only save money after 3 years... and then for as long as you keep your TiVo box.

Regards

#1,290 ·
I would like to purchase a new Tivo Roamio for OTA purposes (https://www.tivo.com/shop/roamio#/roamio). I live near Detroit, MI and pull in around 40 or so stations currently.

Questions:
1) It sounds like I would have to procure through amazon US, or from a site called weaknees?
2) Once I have the device, even though I couldn't purchase the equipment from Tivo, can I still subscribe with a Canadian credit card and Canadian billing address or do I require a US Address?
3) For setup, on the new Roamio's, can I enter a Canadian Postal Code, or would I have to enter a Detroit, MI zipcode? And if Detroit, would I see the Canadian stations?

Thanks all. Sorry for all the questions. Just want to be sure before I put any $$ down on a purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.