Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Weatheradio Canada

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Obed 
#1 ·
Why has Rogers never carried Weatheradio Canada? Sometimes I have poor reception in Oshawa when the Rochester, NY station overpowers the 162.400 MHz signal from Toronto. There used to be FM radio stations available for my AV receiver at one time. I rely on my weatheradio to provide alerts for severe weather such as tornado watches and warnings.

#3 ·
You could call Rogers and request it. They may add it to one of their digital radio stations that are available on QAM tuner capable TV's connected to their service, or through one of their digital boxes.

Also, have you tried scanning for another weather channel? From my location I'm able to receive two transmitters.

The problem with using cable to receive the broadcast signal is that you'd be forced to listen to the entire loop over and over again. No SAME alerts. In my case, I much prefer just leaving the radio on quietly in alert mode.

Another option (if your radio has an antenna port) is to use an external directional VHF antenna. Not a TV VHF antenna, but one made for this band and very directional, like a Yagi. Radio hobby stores carry them.

#4 ·
Adapter

I would like to connect my weatheradio to the cable to receive XMJ225 from Toronto, with a digital adapter in order to get SAME. In my apartment my Midland WR-120 has an external dipole antenna in the window along with an RCA AMP1450R VHF/UHF signal amplifier.

I think all cable companies should be required to carry Weatheradio, particularly in areas prone to having tornados.

#5 ·
BDU's (Broadcast Distribution Undertakings) such as cable and satellite companies in Canada already must carry The Weather Network. And this channel provides emergency weather alerts--it's primarily the reason the government granted them "must carry" status. I doubt Rogers or others would provide an adapter to duplicate a service they essentially already offer.

#7 ·
I can't disagree with you. But hey, these are profit-driven companies. I can't see them developing hardware or a solution that few will use, considering that this service is broadcast over the air already by Environment Canada.

#9 ·
Weather Alerts are perfectly suited to RDS equipped fm radio.

If radios can be set to automatically re-tune to traffic reports, it would be very simple to set up the system for weather alerts. Of course, there needs to be a receivable FM weather alert broadcast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.