Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Security Alarm Company Discussions

85K views 64 replies 47 participants last post by  Wharfe 
#1 ·
Looking to possibly purchase a security system...Was wondering which company is the best to deal with ???? ADT, AlarmForce,etc........Any comments would greatly be appreciated

#29 ·
We moved and still had a year left on the contract with ADT. New owners of the house didn't assume the last year of the contract. I got a bill but just never paid it.

Of course according to the contract ADT owns the equipment...lol let go get it.

Am now in London with Alarm Tech...great small company, wonderful service. I had them install surround sound system, LAN, Alarm system, and all the Video cabling in my new house.

Customer service it top notch. Always willing to go that extra step for you because they are a local small company. And they belong to the BBB and the Chamber of commerce so you know they are at least somewhat reputable.

Good Luck
Bill

#31 ·
Anyone have any experience with Vox-Com? We bought a house and will be moving in at the end of the month (in Calgary). The house already had a Vox-Com system installed, although it was not active at the time we did our inspection (previous owners had already moved out).

Would it be possible for another alarm company to use the existing system, or will they have to rip it out and put in their own?

#33 ·
Monitoring companies use special phone lines, computers and trained staff to watch over a home security system and call the suitable authorities if the alarm rings. Because quality and experience can vary greatly among monitoring companies, do some homework before choosing one.

#34 ·
I'm with a company called Pro Telec here in Winnipeg, and I'm very pleased with them. I had them in my first house, and they installed a system at a reasonable price, which I own. I think it was $200-ish, I forget. Very basic system: two door contacts, and one motion.

The most appealing part was that they didn't make me sign any contracts. I can switch monitoring companies if I want. But their price is about $16/month last I checked. Plus a little for false alarm protection, which I only added within the last year or so. Thankfully I've only ever had the alarm falsely go off once.

They are a local company that's been in business since 1968, and AFAIK they have their own monitoring station. Someone told me they thought Pro Telec was part of MTS now, but last time I called them I asked, and the person sort of chuckled and said no they are not. Must've been some confusion with AAA Alarms.

Anyway... I'm definitely not a fan of those systems the companies claim are "free" and come with a steep $30-something/month price tag.

:)

#40 ·
I would recommend Reliance Protectron (use to be Voxcom). We moved into a brand new house last year and got the a security system installed by one of Reliance Protectron's Dealers and they did a gerat job. Protectron has there own monitoring stations as well.

I for one am a techie guy and like all the latest/greatest toys and what not and asked what they had available. I got a "2gig" panel with a couple of doors contacts (back and front) and pet friendly motion installed.
very happy with this new touch screen technology, it' shows the weather and other cool stuff. I can even arm my system from my iPhone if I forget to set it when I leave home. Also, as soon as I found out I could run my thermostat from the Ap, I went an bought that and replaced. I can control the temperature of my house from my iPhone as well now!

If anyone wants to get a good system, ask for the 2gig system. You won't regret it. It's easy to use and has alot of features that are handy.

- Merry

#41 ·
Seems like everyone here wants to go with the little guy, but I have to say that I've had nothing but a positive experience with AlarmForce. I have a cellular system with battery backup (basically it can't be cut). They did a good job of wiring it so my cat wouldn't set it off and they've been very responsive with false alarms (dopey sister-in-law) and had the police to my location in minutes once I had a legitimate alarm this winter.

They also simul-ring me on everyone in the houses mobile and my home/office phones.

#42 ·
Feedback on The Monitoring Center please!

Hi folks,

New to the forum. Hoping DH members can lend a hand. I'm supposed to have a technician come install an alarm system from The Monitoring Center this weekend. They have already cancelled on me twice so this will be the third attempt. It has been almost two months since I set up the initial appointment and all these delays are giving me pause. I'm starting to think that their system will be as horrible as their service and am wondering if I should cancel the appointment. Does anyone have any feedback they can provide on the company? Are there any other providers I should consider?

I have until Friday to cancel my appt so am hoping to gather more info on the company. Any help would be much appreciated!

#43 ·
Did they give you a reason for the cancellations? Most people are happy with TMC service and I know several people personally who use them. I have not bothered switching to TMC because I used them as leverage to get a very good deal with ADT who I have no issues with. If ADT ever upped my pricing, I would switch right away.

Read about other providers earlier in this thread.

#44 ·
the first time the installer canceled (about an hour before the visit), it was for a family emergency. the second time, was because he was ill. both are valid reasons for a last minute cancellation. however, the customer service person was downright rude when it came to rescheduling. he wouldn't entertain the idea of getting a technician in there sooner than later, and tried to book me another appointment three weeks later. he refused to take into account the fact that we had already been cancelled on twice and had been waiting for almost 6 weeks already. his response was, "well, we don't want to cancel anyone's call just for you. that's not fair to our other customers." and "two wrongs don't make a right." it was pretty unbelievable. i spoke to a manager and they were able to quickly schedule me in for the following week but the whole thing has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. TMC's prices are pretty great but I'm wondering if this is a case of 'you get what you pay for.'

I checked Reliance Protectron and their prices are significantly higher. Is there another alarm service company that is somewhat comparable to TMC in terms of price? I don't mind paying a bit more but I certainly don't want to pay 3 or 4x as much as what TMC charges.

#47 ·
Well i use to work for a smaller company, before i did a career change. But we would go the extra mile to make sure the customer was happy. I recall a customer i was there on xmas eve around 6-7pm setting up there new Imacs that they bought after i was finished with there alarm system. I didn't have to do that, but they were a good client, and from that we ended up getting more business out of it.

#48 ·
We had a false alarm last month and the call came from The Monitoring Center. We thought it was a solicitor, I called the number back and it was an accidental panic alarm. We are with Kaban Protective services in Vancouver. So I guess they farm out their monitoring to them? Anyone with recent service with The Monitoring Center? Kaban charges $25 a month vs the $10 for TMC. Does TMC working on your security system? We have a DSC system. THanks.

#49 ·
I work in the alarm industry, all I can say is do your research, take your time, and don't rush to a decision.

Ask as many questions as you can think of when speaking with wich ever alarm company, and make sure you read any contracts they have you sign.

Many companies may offer a free system, or a basic package at a discounted rate, but may not have the right coverage for your home, so make sure you ask exactly what kind of coverage to expect.

And ask what exactly you recieve for their monthly fee. I have had customers that switched to the company I work for, who paid $10/month more with their previous company, but didn't recieve anything extra, basically they were paying more for the same level of service. But some companies may charge a bit more, but also offer a bit more (like a service plan built in, whereas maybe another company requires you to pay extra for a service plan)

#50 ·
You definitely get what you pay for. A friend got one of those free installs. The company never came back to show her how to use the system as promised and when she started reading the fine print their was alot of hidden charges. She called to have it removed they used a screwdriver and ripped everything off the doors and windows. Brand new house and every door and window was damaged and holes left in the walls.

#52 ·
Alarm Companies

Hi All,

I am the Director of Operations for a Vancouver based alarm and security company (one of the smaller companies). I am not here to promote our business but to give you all some basic tips when selecting a company.

1) Nothing in this world is free. Beware of long term contracts (check the fine print) and free alarms. You will end up paying more in the long run and often you do not own the equipment. Our company offers no contract alarm monitoring, we are confident in our service and if customers are not happy they can cancel with us at any time.

2) Be careful who you let in your house. All installers in BC are required to be licensed by the government and carry identification. Do not let people from Craigslist in your home.

3) Ask how long the company you are dealing with has been in business. You do not want to find out in a year or 2 that the company you are dealing with no longer exists.

4) Call the company and do you research. Alarm and camera systems are like getting a roof for your home......you get what you pay for.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.