Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Access New Channels Discussion

15K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  mobee 
#1 ·
#2 ·
mobee said:
My hope is that sooner not later in 2012, Access will finally add the HD local Networks, also at least the following in HD channels; HGTV, NFL Network, Food, FX Canada. What other channel wishes do Access subscribers have in 2012?
Finally have an update on Mobee's question from 2011 (!!!)

Apparently FX Canada is finally being added, along with HD-NET's renamed AXS.

Price will be an additional $5 per subscriber, which does raise a question for debate. A year ago when HD-NET was abruptly discontinued, Access Communications stated this was not a loss to subscribers since they claimed HD-NET was a "free" channel.

Now that it is being re-activated, there's a $5 up-charge. Of course part of the up-charge is for FX.

#4 ·
That's great that they are finally adding FX Canada and HGNet AXS. When you look at Max (Sasktel) they have AXS grouped in with HIFI, RAD, eqhd, Oasis HD, and Discovery World HD for $9.95.

Neild - when you mentioned there will be a $5.00 up-charge is that being added to all HD subscribers or anyone wanting these channels?

One Access package I cannot get my head around is the HD Plus - WGN HD, and Discovery World HD for $5.95, hard time to swallow $6.00 for two channels. Especially WGN HD is usually part of basic HD with other providers.

#9 ·
I have a thought regarding lack of any new HD channels with Access. The last channels that they added were last fall HD in both Sunday Ticket and NHL Centre ice. With both of those packages you have to use the pace receivers as the pace is a mpeg4 receiver. None of there other channels in HD currently are distributed to Access Via mpeg4. if they were to add more HD channels that were distributed mpeg4 they would have to do a lot of swapping of receivers as the silver motorola PVR's (not sure the model #)would have to be replaced with the pace receivers. Could and would this be a costly venture as the silver motorolas would be absolite for most customers. I compared Shaw Cable Saskatoon to Access current Regina HD lineup, Shaw Cable has 12 more HD speciality channels (Animal Planet HD to WMovies HD) I would assume the majority or all of these channels on shaw are mpeg4 format. My two cents.

#11 ·
Are you sure about this? Doesn't Access re-encode all the channels anyway? Isn't that why the audio/video is degraded and how they insert their own programming and commercials?

Plus I've had to call 4 times in the last week and they've claimed they are resetting the cards that do this.

So wouldn't it simply be a matter of re-encoding the incoming channel to whatever format is compatible with their STB's? We're probably only talking about a single server per channel (or less).

#10 ·
Well personally I think it's time for an upgrade. Instead of spending money in all these small towns, it's time to do a capital investment upgrade in Regina where your bread and butter is! Upgrade the Moto boxes to M34xx or the MOCA ready DCX700 non PVR boxes but keep the Sony software then you will be able to support MPEG4. I've never had a Pace receiver but I hear they are just garbage.

#12 ·
Well personally I think it's time for an upgrade. Instead of spending money in all these small towns, it's time to do a capital investment upgrade in Regina where your bread and butter is!
I wonder if you are right about this???

While reporting recent service problems, they had no one monitoring Regina, just North Battleford. And when they called Regina to find somebody, there was nobody there they had to leave a message for the person that was supposed to be on duty.

I asked how they can even run an operation that way with nobody on duty to even check or fix outages, and was told they can use Slingbox to check things remotely. Yes, Slingbox. At least it would explain why they can't detect audio and video degradation!

Anyway they claimed it's because they can't keep staff in Regina and they have 3 or 4 vacant positions they can't fill. It sounded like a credible excuse but however I couldn't find any corresponding job postings for these supposedly empty positions.

So you may be on to something. Maybe they are just taking Regina for granted, or maybe they have given up and are letting it slowly be taken over or sold off?

#13 ·
I've since talked to other personnel, with contradictory information. Apparently Regina does have part time coverage, it all comes down to the location of whoever is working.

One consistency between the stories though is that if there is a problem after 6 pm, there is no one on hand to fix it.

They've said there may be one or two staff working, and staff need to make a judgement call on whether the problem is worth fixing and go through a slow escalation process to call someone to come in and perform a fix.

To me I don't understand why you would be short shifting during your peak times. If it were me, I'd staff to match the customer's need. I'd also make sure that if I'm employing people to take problem reports, I'd go the extra inch and empower them to perform resets and fixes. Besides improving the response time for customers, it would provide some positive motivation.

#14 · (Edited)
I honestly wonder what the heck is going on there?!

When I worked there when it was just Regina, Estevan and maybe Battlefords. There was a FT master control operator (until 11p or midnight, starting at 5 or 6am) and the tech manager got all the channels including PPV free to scan channels at home especially big events to make sure all was well. In addition the help desk people could check channels in the centre if there was a problem.

By the sounds of it, it's all gone to he** in a hand basket!

BTW The last posting I saw for Access when I read the paper back home was for a master control operator at $16/hr...please in a Regina boom, good luck no wonder you can't find anyone!

#16 ·
Regarding TWN HD, and when Access start carrying? A better question is when will Access add not just the TWN HD, how about also adding NFL Network HD, Comedy HD, W HD, and more, for a Saskatchewan provider they are losing ground big time with Sasktel Max for HD channel options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.