Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Poor man's TV sound bar

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  earthshaker 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm just wondering if I can use my Bose sound dock (series 2) to be my TV sound bar (via the aux 3.5mm input). I have an ok Phillips home theatre system HTS3555 (a few speakers + subwoofer) that's I'm using now, but it's too many wires. Since the sound quality on the Bose sound dock is very good, I'm wondering if it would be as good sound quality as I have now but cleaner as there's much fewer wires...
Thanks.

#3 ·
we have the same bose in the kitchen, I am always amazed at the sound and volume it puts out... even from my phone through a headphone jack

#5 ·
Ok, guys, thanks. I gave it a go. It sounded ok, but the problem was that the 3.5mm aux jack connection didn't always work. I had to re plug it every time tv was turned off/on. Kind of a pain. What I need is a TV sound bar with bluetooth. I did some research and it's a bit confusing. Looks like Sony HTCT260 ($350 - 300 watt) & Vizio S4221W-C4 ($275 - 300 watt) get top marks. But I also went into the local future shop and listened to a bunch of sound bars. They didn't have the Sony or Vizio but had a bunch of sound bars ranging in price and watts. The samsung HWF355 ($149 - 120 watt) sounded pretty good. My room size is only about 400 sq feet. Do I really need 300 watts for that? We have neighbours so can't crank the volume too loud. I prefer quality/clarity. Thanks for your help!

#10 ·
I bought a Bluetooth receiver which I attached to my 25 year old audio receiver. It cost me something like $10 US from Monoprice. Works perfectly. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the cellphone shop online has a model for $8.99 US.

You just plug it in to the where the red and white RCA cables would go.

#6 ·
The power ratings of most AVRs, HTiB systems and Power Bars are mostly unimportant since there is usually no reference. See the following previous threads on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27306

Usually about 1 clean Watt/channel is more than enough to fill most smaller rooms:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=437184#post437184

W/Ch are measured in many different ways.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83242&highlight=watts+channel See post 2.

Basically, in the absence of most other factors, the more you spend, typically the more quality you get. Although a $100 power bar may be adequate for someone's needs, it's highly unlikely to be a quality system that will last for years and years.

#7 ·
The sweet spot for sound bars seems to be about $300. That's where a sound bar of decent quality and features becomes available. They usually include a wireless, powered sub and extra features like BT, HDMI, and a USB port. If you don't mind losing a few features and the sub, a decent sound bar can be had for about $200. Look for clearance items and sales to save a little money or upgrade to a better unit for the same money. It's worth looking at other big box stores and online computer or A/V stores for specific models, discounts and sales. Sound bars are a popular item and are widely available.

Re power, I agree with 57 points. Power levels for cheap speaker systems are inflated and often represent a total of all speakers with high distortion levels. One item where extra power is important is the sub. Due to their nature, they require high peak power, preferably at least 100w and, unlike other channels, don't require as high a continuous power rating. Cheaper power systems often state peak power for all channels, which is inflated, especially for the front channels which require continuous power at low distortion to work well.

#9 ·
After reading a few reviews, I got the Samsung HW-F450 Soundbar that is also carried by Costco. It's good for close or small room listening and matches the 37" Samsung TV (which has awful speakers.) Can't say I like it much for music but it's good for general TV. Not having a protective grill over the speakers is a minus. In my opinion, it's a bit overpriced and cost almost half as much as the TV. Gone are the days when TVs came with decent sound built in.

#11 ·
I purchased a Sharp Sound Bar (SB 60) while in Florida and have it mounted on the wall over the Sharp television. The sound is excellent and the wireless sub works flawlessly although a bit overpowering. Also purchased the Polk Wireless Surround Speaker System that also works very well. The main reason for purchasing is that we live in an apt and unable to run wires. The system is not on par with wired speakers but is great for our situation. Would recommend but spend the extra money for the best systems.

#12 · (Edited)
"Gone are the days when TVs came with decent sound built in."

I totally agree, I remember when I got my GAOO Panasonic tube TV in 1992. The sound that came out of those speakers was incredible. Stereo cable TV had just become mainstream by then and I remember my friends being envious of the sound that the GAOO TV could put out. However, their 1994 tube TV's became cheap and that generation TV speakers from Panasonic took a nose dive in quality and output.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.