Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

What changes / improvements would you like to see for Rogers Digital Cable?

25K views 90 replies 47 participants last post by  parker1313 
#1 ·
Some of the improvements I'd like to see in 2011 are an updated firmware for my HD box that will have:

IPG updates such as a true 16x9 guide, with more screen space for tv listings
a true 16x9 preview window in the guide instead of squishing widescreen content into a 4x3 preview box.

Quickstart to support a 16x9 preview box.

A "search feature" built into the existing IPG and NOT built-in to QuickStart.

More HD channels
and lastly a remap/regroup of the Channel listings in Southern Ontario

#7 ·
^^^^
There is a "search" feature in the Rogers PVR, but it's pretty much useless. You can only select the first letter of the title, which means you have to scroll through a huge number of items to find what you want. It's a complete wasted effort. You're better off using something like Zap2it.

#8 ·
completely agree with you JamesK, the search is horrible, un-usable with the 8300/8642 (don't know about others). Zap2it makes finding shows extremely easy.

At least Bell 9200, 9241, 9242 (I don't know about others) has the t9 input or on screen keyboard to actually enter search terms.
You can even setup recording schedules based on a search term, name, actor etc... It even works across channels, any channel that matches the search... that was such an amazing feature.

My #1 request is for rogers (Cisco) to fix the scheduled recording bug where if a program has a generic name/description and if two programs air back to back, you cannot actually set a recording for both programs.

You have to resort to a work-around such as "record all programs on this channel at any time" (which I do not want to do, end up with 30 recordings of the same show) or only now with the latest firmware (2010) extend the program record time to include the second show. (hack-work around).
Bell 9200 PVR doesn't have this problem.

This has been my #1 pet peeve since switching to rogers 1.5 years ago.

#10 ·
My #1 request is for rogers (Cisco) to fix the scheduled recording bug where if a program has a generic name/description and if two programs air back to back, you cannot actually set a recording for both programs.

You have to resort to a work-around such as "record all programs on this channel at any time" (which I do not want to do, end up with 30 recordings of the same show) or only now with the latest firmware (2010) extend the program record time to include the second show. (hack-work around).
You could extend the program (single or re-occurring) with the previous firmware, but the extension would be lost if it the next scheduled recording was more than 6 days out. Being able to schedule single programs with the same name on the same day would be convenient rather than have to use the workaround.

I have found that a scheduled recording specified as "this time slot" will not pick up a second program on the same day when it is changed to "this channel at any time". You have to cancel the scheduled recording and then set it up again as "this channel at any time".

#9 ·
-Add more HD channels
-Stop using so much compression on HD channels (in other words, use the full ATSC standard bandwith for each)
-Lobby the networks to stop using high color, high contrast channel logos that permanently pollute the lower right hand side of everything we watch these days. Some networks have very discrete, transparent logos - but most don't. I guess they feel you need to be constantly reminded of what network you are watching. I cannot stand to watch a movie (on MovieTime, for example), where the stupid logo is plastered on the screeen all the time !
- Group the HD channels in a more logical/intelligent way. The way they are now, they have mixed movie-only channels with HBO, and also broken up the network channels from each other - separated by other themed stations.
- Allow the user to HIDE the channels they don't subscribe to - as they take up too much space on the small 4:3 aspect guide.

#11 ·
My wish list:

1. Better guide with logos
2. Multi room PVR (watch my recorded shows on another STB).
3. ATSC clear Qam channels for viewing HD channels that are part of basic cable without the need for a Rogers HD Box. (This is law in the US).
4. A better channel lineup, remove duplicates.
5. More shopping channels. Have a new TSC "Home and electronics" which doesn't air jewelry / beauty products.. (UK has something like 20 full time shopping channels, we have just one.) At least turn the useless Toronto Star TV into another full time shopping network instead of showing the stupid magic bullet infomercial in constant loops..
6. Radio from other cities
7. Less regional channels and more non canadian content (bring in UK, Australian networks!)

I can wish, no?

#12 · (Edited)
  1. I would like to see programming colour-coded by type in the guide (i.e. movies in green, sports in blue, etc.), and the ability to filter/sort based on this (e.g. have the 'Movies' search in the guide actually list what movies are on, rather than tv shows about movies, as it does currently). This functionality has been included in Star Choice/Shaw Direct's guide for years, and I believe Bell ExpressVu also...
  2. I would also like to see channels mapped in a more intelligent order, rather than the current disorder they are in - either put the HD channel with the sister SD channel, or group all HD channels together...since we have recently moved up from a CRT tv to the new HD TV that Santa just brought us :D
  3. I'd also like to see what percentage of space each recording is taking up on the PVR.

#13 ·
One thing I would like to see is Rogers to allow all of their HD PVR boxes to have the USB connection enabled so an external USB drive can be connected to back up the internal hard drive. It is very difficult to have an e Sata external hard drive connected to the e Sata connection and keep what has been recorded intact on it from what I have seen.

#14 ·
Although this is a wish list thread and we should keep it that way, I just thought I'd mention the following since some of these wishes have been granted already.
or group all HD channels together.
They are all grouped together in the 500 channel range. Also, the various channels are grouped according to theme - news, sports, movies, education, kids, timeshift, etc.

It is very difficult to have an e Sata external hard drive connected to the e Sata connection and keep what has been recorded intact on it from what I have seen.
Although some people have issues with some SATA drives, connections, enclosures, I believe you'll find similar if not more issues with USB connections - just check out the BTV forum on the topic. The philosophy of the BTV and Rogers eHDDs is different though since the Rogers eHDD is for recording/timeshifting, while BTV is for archiving and requires additional steps - each has advantages, disadvantages. For example, if you're away on vacation and need a lot of recording time, the archiving option doesn't help (these are comments regarding the PVR - the STB with eHDD option is different and interestingly has not yet been "wished for" in this thread that I recall.

Again, these were just clarification points and we should continue with the "wish list".

#16 ·
My wish list would include many of the items discussed on this forum already.

- 16:9 HD IPG
- Appropriate recording times - to the minute (or second).
- A better search engine for the IPG
- IPG that shows my subscribed channels as an option
- CSRs that don't assume (first) that the problem is with the customer or his equipment.
- A mechanism where my e-mails or conversations with CSRs are "ranked" according to previous discussions - don't treat me like an idiot if I've had frequent discussions in the past and I'm the one who's been right (mostly). Many companies - Banks, hotels, etc. do this for their "better" customers.
- Giving people "the option". I may not want Auto-HD, so allow me to turn it off like you did for the QS Guide.
- a-la-carte programming as soon as it's allowed.
- a better web-page experience
- better communication regarding new things coming to me - tell me by e-mail (or auto phone calls) about new firmware, what it does, when it's going to happen, what free previews are coming, etc. They did this for Auto-HD - good on them.

#20 ·
I can think of two reasons off the top of my head, the first is if the source is not widescreen or HD to begin with, it wastes disk space if you wanted to use SD.

The second reason is if you use an HD box on an SD TV, let's say you upgraded from a bought HD box to an HD PVR and use the already paid for box on your bedroom tv that is not HD.

While in both cases you can find the channels in a different location "on the dial" it is a real pain when some basic channels have been in the same location for decades.

Cheers

#19 ·
In addition to the others items mentioned, here is a simple request.

Adopt the feature, like the AT&T U-verse Motorola VIP12xx boxes, that when returning to "play" mode (from FF), that the recorded program is automatically rewound to the last full black frame.

This eliminates the inconvenience of hunting for the start of a recording following a commercial break. With the Motorola boxes, as soon as you recognize the show you are FF'ing to, you hit PLAY and the box automatically resumes play from the last black frame transition.

#21 ·
I understand people getting used to channel locations because they've been there for decades. I had the same thing happen to me with my italian specialty channel: RAI Italia, it changed positions on the dial, I was so used to punching in 610 to tune into it, heck I even recorded a Macro on the Scientific Atlantic Atlas remote to tune into that channel number, and had to re-do it. At this time, Im ok to channel re-maps as long as there is enough notice and a proper channel listings printed or mailed to us ahead of time. I would like to see that happen in 2011.

As for the rest of you, you all have a very good wish list for 2011, I would like to figure out how can we suggest these changes to rogers and which ones from the list are the easiest to implement right now.

#23 ·
My biggest "beef" with Rogers has always been the IPG. Ever since I moved from Bell to Rogers many eons ago, the program guide has always been frustrating. The total lack of customization is brutal. My wish list would be to have the ability to create a personalized custom guide - eliminating channels that I don't subscribe to, eliminating duplication (which I really don't understand why the same station repeats perhaps in three areas of the IPG - creates a Goliath of a full guide), and forcing my wife to watch HD when it's available (SD content when it's available in HD drives me crazy!). An improved search feature (as discussed already) would be good too.

#25 ·
The Globe and Mail had an interesting article on the telco vs cable situation:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ult-on-cables-tv-stranglehold/article1879513/

There were two items that are relevant to this thread about changes/improvements:
1. The ability to pause TV in one locate and resume watching from that point in another location. This could be a TV in another room or on a portable device, like an iPad while on the train the next morning. It suggests that the latter capability will be supported by the telcos fibre network, but that it will be more difficult for the cablecos.

2. An enhanced search of the digital guide by names of actors or directors, or (implied) a software application to help in selection of movies or music.

These two features do not hold any appeal for me, but they may be an indication of where the industry is headed.

I anticipate a huge challenge for Rogers in rolling out any significant enhancements until they resolve their latest attempt with SARA upgrades, and really learn this bad experience.

#27 ·
I can't believe no one is asking for channel lists. Holy cow.

I just switched from ExpressVu. I have an 8 year old SD box. It could make list of channels. I had a kids' list, a Dad list, a Mom list, etc...

The guide on Rogers boxes is useless. The Favs don't even display as a list.

I don't know how I'm going to navigate this. I can't even filter to only see HD channels.

As far as TV is concerned, I regret changing to Rogers.

How does everyone get around this?

#28 ·
It (personalized lists) was discussed in post 23.

All the HD channels are in the 500s (and some sports HD in the high 400s). The channels are often grouped by theme - sports, movies, kids, learning, timeshift, foreign, etc. So, it does make a lot of sense once you understand the logic of the IPG and why some channels are duplicated.

Unsubscribed channels are now greyed out on most STBs with new firmware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.