Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CBC HD Feeds

34K views 104 replies 29 participants last post by  jsebean 
#1 ·
Looks like this mux just came on the air, reported yesterday.
Booming in on the Openbox S9, a nice strong/clean signal.

Anik F1 107W
4160 H 30000
DVB-S2 8PSK

Halifax CBHT-DT
Toronto CBLT-DT
Winnipeg CBWT-DT
Edmonton CBXT-DT
Vancouver CBUT-DT

All 720P H.264

#3 ·
of course, or I wouldn't even have bothered posting it.

#6 ·
yeah, not sure what the deal is. Keep an eye on it for a while if status changes I'm sure u'll hear about it here, no doubt...
There was another Mux reported with CBC feeds also, on 4040H at the same time as 4160H, but it looked dead to me when I was looking.
So be on the lookout..possible it may have been CRC, or CBC French feeds?

Edit: Found the French Feeds. Again a very strong/clean signal
4040 H 30000
DVB-S2 8PSK

Ontario CBLFT-DT
Moncton CBAFT-DT
Quebec CJBR-DT
Montreal CBFT-DT
Ottawa CBOFT-DT

All 720P H.264

#8 ·
7.5' (2.4m) Perfect 10 Antenna
I must say, this looks like the strongest / Highest Quality DVB-S2 signal I have ever seen.
Signal 88% / Quality 85%, without even trying to tweak (The Openbox S9 indication is rarely ever over 80% Qual for DVB-S2 on my antenna)
So, I wouldn't be surprised if they were targeting smaller CBAND dish setups.
I don't know if there's any DVB-S2 signal that might come in on CBand with the smaller dishes and conical scalar ring, but from what I've seen so far, I'm thinkin this would be a good one to shoot for if that's all u have available.
If aiming for the first time with a smaller CBand Dish, one could shoot for a strong DVB-S QPSK signal on the same bird first, then optimise from there once found if necessary.
Weather Network's a good strong one.
4100 V 28346
DVB-S QPSK

#10 ·
I hope these feeds stay open... It would allow those outside of the OTA coverage area to have CBC programming without expensive infrastructure we would all have to pay for. Many isolated communities and rural residents have old C-band dishes still set up and usable; with a $300 investment in a HD receiver and LNBF they can have what most Canadians have.
Would be interesting to see how many viewers there would be.
-C.

#12 ·
Agreed! I firmly believe all Canadians should have FREE access to CBC/SRC and these channels should be available via FTA for those who don't live near any CBC tower (besides it is a bit ironic that our taxes are supporting a station some can't get).

Cheers, K

#18 ·
h.264 is MP4. 720p is the video format.

#20 ·
CBAND isn't susceptible to rain fade.
For CBAND it's an extremely strong signal, one of the strongest I've ever seen,
which implies a CBAND dish on the smaller end of the scale will work.

#21 ·
MT, I wasnt aware able to get these w/ a 1m dish but I'll try again this week but am leaning on upgrading the dish as the feeds come and go. Example, sat morning, I was getting the 91w Muxes you mentioned at 70% quality. 5 minutes later it was gone.

The only group of channels I can keep a regular lock on are the WKHS 51 group on 99W.
Cheers, K

#22 ·
Yeah, I'm not sure it can be done with a 1 m dish / conical scalar (I don't even have one, so how would I know). I just think for as strong as it is, if anything can be had with that small a dish, this might be one with a reasonable shot at it.

#24 ·
I have a .pdf article from Tele-satellite Feb 2006 titled "C-Band with a Ku-Band Dish?" with reports from a Toronto reader. Send me a private message with your email and I'll ship it to you. The report says you can get C-Band signals with as small as a 1-metre dish if equipped with a scalar ring. The reporter was able to lock onto 13 C-Band satellites.

#25 ·
If I recall correctly, he was actually using a 70cm Dish, I must admit that was one of the reasons I got the "C" Band LNBF and Scalar Ring.

#26 ·
His equipment was as follows: Fortec Star 1.0-Meter Offset Dish; Stab HH 100 Motor;
Astrotel Precision C Band LNBF (NR: 20°K, Gain: 65dB); Cone Shaped Scalar Ring; C-Band LNBF Holder for an Offset Dish; Fortec Star 5400NA Receiver.

#27 ·
Yeah, my memory is not what it was.

I have an offset 1.2m dish, still trying to mount the "C" Band LNBF on it, as the LNBF mount is for a much smaller LNBF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.